Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » Pregnancy Scare: Could my gf be pregnant from pre-cum?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pregnancy Scare: Could my gf be pregnant from pre-cum?
scared737
Neophyte
Member # 110108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for scared737     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Let me first start off by saying that I know it is possible for pre-cum to get someone pregnant. My specific situation is that me and my girlfriend were having sex, when I decided to go down on her and give myself a break (last longer). When I started again the condom had lost some of its lubrication, so I decided that another one would suffice. I then switched condoms and we continued having sex until we orgasmed. I'm fairly certain that the chance that I did precum in the first condom was high. My question is this: when I took off that condom and put another one on, could precum have somehow gotten on the outside? I mean, I have to roll it on, so I'm not really sure. I didn't wipe off or anything with a towel. I'm not sure if I had precum on me or if it was lubrication from the inside of the condom that I was using. Nonetheless, could this somehow have gotten on the outside when I rolled the new one on? I realize this is not a safe way to have sex. Should I consult my girlfriend about the pill? I'm also fairly certain that she is ovulating right now. I'm not sure exactly what I'm looking at here...
Posts: 5 | Registered: Apr 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Take a look at an unrolled condom: if you do, you can see that the inside of the condom stays inside when you put it on. So, the part of the condom coming into contact with your penis?

That's always on the inside, not on the outside. [Smile]

I'm not sure what you mean about what you did not being safe: I don't see anything here that is NOT you using condoms correctly.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam W
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 108189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam W     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi scared,

Edit: Oops, double posted with Heather

So, even if the pre-cum from inside the first condom got on your hand and then went from hand to condom wrapper to condom, that would be indirect rather than direct contact with pre-cum. And indirect contact does not pose a pregnancy risk. But, as Heather mentioned, this scenario was already very unlikely.

Of course, sex with a condom still carries a small risk of pregnancy, but as long as the condoms used did not slip off or break, you can assume they did their job and that pregnancy did not occur.

[ 04-17-2014, 01:26 PM: Message edited by: Sam W ]

Posts: 1292 | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scared737
Neophyte
Member # 110108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for scared737     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I appreciate the fast replies! I'm not very well educated on the subject of precum and I know that you guys deal with this question a lot. So I take the condom off, and I start to unroll the new condom. If my finger accidentally comes into contact with the head of my penis (that may or may not have precum on it, as I mentioned before I'm not sure if it is lubrication or precum), and then I use that same finger in the process of unrolling the new condom on my penis, would that pose a pregnancy threat? I'm not sure what you mean by direct and indirect contact.
Posts: 5 | Registered: Apr 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scared737
Neophyte
Member # 110108

Sorry for posting multiple times in a row, but I'm also fairly sure that she is ovulating currently (mentioned in first post). Even if the exposure to precum is indirect (as you indicated) does this pose a risk to pregnancy since she is ovulating? I'm fairly sure that she is because her vaginal fluid "wetness" is thick and white, it is the middle of her cycle, and she is super horny lately.
Sam W
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 108189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam W     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When we refer to direct contact with pre-cum, we mean that the pre-cum encountered the genitals without any barriers (like a condom or clothing) and without any stops along the way (like onto somebody's hand).

I think you may want to give these pieces a read, since they explain how pregnancy can and cannot occur in more detail.
Can I Get Pregnant, or Get or Pass On an STI From That?
Human Reproduction: A Seafarer's Guide
http://www.scarleteen.com/cgi-bin/forum/ultimatebb.cgi?/ubb/get_topic/f/10/t/002611.html#000000

[ 04-17-2014, 01:38 PM: Message edited by: Sam W ]

Posts: 1292 | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam W
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 108189

And for the ovulation question:
Let's Dial Down Some (Maybe) Ovulation Freakouts

Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just FYI? If her cervical mucus is thick and white, then you can usually know it is NOT likely she is ovulating: that's not what fertile mucus looks like.

But truly, you do not need to concern yourself with that in the first place, because you used condoms here properly. If she or you are finding you are not comfortable enough using condoms alone, then the next step is for her to look into a method she can use, too, to have a backup. [Smile]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scared737
Neophyte
Member # 110108

Thank you so much for all the information. I have been misinformed in a few things and I really appreciate all of the insight that you have provided me with [Smile]
Heather
Member # 3

Anything else we can help you with today?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

scared737
Neophyte
Member # 110108

I'm wading through all of the pages that you sent me so that I can learn more about exactly what is going on. One thing that I have a question about is the cervical mucus. You said that the kind that I described is not the "fertile kind" but from what I am reading, it is the Egg White kind, which is the fertile kind. Could you elaborate on this please?
Heather
Member # 3

Well, I could, but in all honesty, you focusing on this is not so sound.

For one, that's because when this is not your own body, and you are not making careful observations of these things daily, and then have done so for at least a few months to look at all of this, observing mucus just isn't useful. Without having patterns of this, over time, and *daily* observing them with the education to do so? Any information you interpret is just as likely to be incorrect or useless as correct and useful.

If your partner wants to know how to interpret and chart, by all means, she should explore that, but that can't be a one-off: it has to be something someone does every day, over time, and also gets educated about interpreting.

But if you're simply curious, or she wants to have a place to start with that information for herself, this should get you both started on that: Get With the Flow: All About FAM. The books listed there as good guides for someone to learn how to chart fertility without a class or instructor are good next steps for someone who wants to do this (again, not you, someone whose body this is actually about, so who CAN do charting).

Just FYI, "egg white" is not thick and white (unless you've cooked them!). That descriptor of mucus most typical around the time people are ovulating is about RAW egg whites, which tend to be very thin, fluid and clear, not thick and white. [Smile]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.