Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » Plan b and irregular cycles

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Plan b and irregular cycles
Member # 108981

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starman27     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello, I am rather paranoid and was hoping for some reassurance.

I had sex with a girl in mid August right around the time she may have been ovulating. I used a condom but we noticed that it broke, there was no ejaculation but there likely was precum.

She took the plan b pill 48 hours after the risk and had a period 6 days later. This was a normal length period but she mentioned that it was somewhat weird with a stopping and starting flow. 4 weeks later on September 18th she got another period with the same weirdness but still a period.

A little more then 2 weeks later she woke up and after using the bathroom noticed some brown blood in the toilet. She continued having this brown spotting for about 2 days. Her period was then 4 days late and came about 2 weeks after the brown spotting. This period was short for only about 3 days, she then got another full period 2 days later that lasted for 5 days. This was the end of October. Counting from this periods start, she should have gotten her period Saturday 11/23, she is now 5 days late and she kept feeling as if it was coming but it has not.

My question is, do I have any reason to be worried or is this cycle irregularity normal after plan b? She had a negative hpt at the end of October and another neg hpt 2 days ago. No sex since August. I have read all the facts but I can't help but think she will be that one miracle girl who was pregnant without knowing, she is a bit worried as well. Thanks in advance for your help and advice and sorry for the long post.

Posts: 2 | From: California | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 79774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Redskies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, Starman27, and welcome to Scarleteen!

You're describing her have at least three obvious periods since the broken condom in August. It's not possible to have a period and be pregnant, so she is definitely not pregnant. She has also had two negative pregnancy tests recently, which again mean that she isn't pregnant.

Plan B can cause irregularities in the cycle, and can make periods behave differently to how a person was expecting. Also, people's cycles can sometimes vary all by themselves. The thing to know is that if someone has bleeding that is some kind of flow - that is, more than just random spotting - over several days, they can be confident that it's a period and that they are not pregnant.

The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.

Posts: 1786 | From: Europe | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 108981

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starman27     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for your response. After talking with her today it turns out she was not being completely honest with me at all. She had taken the plan B pill again in October and has had sex with multiple other people since the time in August. This whole time I had been worried about cycle irregularities from the time she took it in August. Turns out she was depending on me because she trusts me more then the other guy.

Thanks for your help and sorry for taking up your time. I will donating to this site because you guys are saviors and do some very good work here.

Posts: 2 | From: California | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 107716

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Edith_*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Starman! [Smile]

There is no need to be sorry, we are here to help and we do it gladly. [Smile]

Just wanted to say that when we are sexually active is always a good idea to test for STI's regularly, even more when our partners are having other partners as well.

"Whatever you do will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it " (...'cause no one else will) -Gandhi-

Posts: 420 | From: Somewhere over the rainbow* | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.