Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » condom slippage? leakage?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: condom slippage? leakage?
scaredteen737
Neophyte
Member # 108654

Icon 1 posted      Profile for scaredteen737     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, I was having sex with my girlfriend last night with a condom when I could feel I was going to cum too soon. Instead of pulling out I continued to have sex with her for about 30 seconds to a minute. I noticed that at one point the condom slipped very slightly so I reached down and rolled it back down and continued for 10-15 seconds. When I took the condom off I noticed that sperm was not just in the tip but in the shaft too... Could some have leaked out when I rolled it back down? Is it in the shaft because I had already came ( the semen was on my own tip) and it came in contact with the shaft of the condom? How worried should I be? Is plan b necessary? My girlfriend is due for her period in a week- a week and a half. I'm just very worried and I don't believe anything leaked because I couldn't see anything on her vagina. I happen to think it is just because the condom slid up and I slid it back down, rather than that anything leaked. Please help me!
Posts: 8 | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Scaredteen737 and welcome to Scarleteen,

From what you've described, the condom neither broke nor fell off, so you did not have a condom failure.

I think you're saying that you continued intercourse after ejaculation? If so, that could be why the semen seemed more dispersed throughout the condom.

For future reference, if you want to continue intercourse after ejaculation, you'll need to stop and change condoms in order to make sure that the condom is still doing it's job. continuing intercourse after ejaculation increases the risk that the condom will fall off.

Again, though, it doesn't sound like that happened here. It's typical for a condom to slip around a little bit during intercourse, but so long as it doesn't start sliding completely off, it's still doing it's job.

Here's some more information about condom usage:

Condom Basics: A User's Manual

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scaredteen737
Neophyte
Member # 108654

Icon 1 posted      Profile for scaredteen737     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Should I be concerned with pregnancy or getting plan b? There was semen in the top of the shaft of the condom when I took it off...
Posts: 8 | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's really up to your girlfriend.

It doesn't sound like your condom failed here, but if she would prefer backing up with Plan B, that's certainly something she can choose.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67053 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scaredteen737
Neophyte
Member # 108654

Do you think I have anything to worry about?
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd look back at what Robin had to say to you. Again, it does not sound like your condom failed, however if the slipping around makes your girlfriend feel she'd like to use an emergency contraceptive, than it does, as she would be the one with the actual pregnancy risk with any intercourse, or any method of birth control and how it were used, rather than you.

So, truly, this is her decision to make at this point and up to her to decide how concerned she is or isn't, as the issue is one of her body now.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67053 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scaredteen737
Neophyte
Member # 108654

Thank you for all of the responses, I appreciate it haha.I just have one more question and I may just be dense... Does it not matter that there was semen at the top of the condom? Isn't that a sign of leakage or no?
Heather
Member # 3

Well, for one, we can't even know what fluid that was. It's very common for the lubricant on condoms to froth up a bit inside a condom, for instance, so that may be what you were looking at.

But even if it was semen, it was inside the condom, which, to my knowledge, was on your penis the whole time and did not slip off or break. When condoms fail, it's not because of "leakage." It's because they were not worn at all, or not worn the whole time, because they broke or tore, or because they slipped off the penis and into the vagina.

(Also, you may want to remember that when you roll a condom back up a bit and there is fluid inside, it can't magically get on the outside. It's still on the inside of the condom.)

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Heather
Member # 3

Really, though, here's where you're at because this isn't your body or decisions to make at this point: if your girlfriend doesn't know about the slippage, you tel her and let her make her own choices from there. If she does know, and Plan B isn't something she wants or feels she needs, then she doesn't. But any steps now are really up to her, and not your choices.

But if YOU know, from this, that you aren't feeling comfy for yourself just using condoms alone, then what you can do is think about that, and talk with your partner about perhaps adding a backup method for intercourse the two of you have from here on out. That's a thing that involves you you can do or talk about.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

scaredteen737
Neophyte
Member # 108654

Thank you so much! Your help was very very appreciated!!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.