Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » Just a few questions.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Just a few questions.
Controversy
Activist
Member # 50053

Icon 11 posted      Profile for Controversy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So i'm a bit worried, my boyfriend and I made some mistakes.

We had unprotected sex, he didn't ejaculate inside me but he was worried about precum, I know it has little sperm in it... what is the possibility of me being pregnant from that?

Before that, we had put the condom on the wrong way, he proceeded to put it on the right way and we had sex. Isn't that a pregnancy risk as well? If so is it worse than the first one?

I missed my period by 6 days now, i'm going to wait at least another week, sometimes my periods are late anyway.

How long should I wait to take a pregnancy test? Should I just take one this week..?

Thank you in advance

[ 08-29-2013, 12:16 PM: Message edited by: Controversy ]

Posts: 132 | From: United States | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you engaged in intercourse unprotected, without condoms, but your boyfriend withdrew well before he ejaculated, or without ejaculating at all, while that present high STI risks, that method of pregnancy prevention -- withdrawal -- used typically is around 73-85% effective in one year, and used perfectly, is estimated to be around 96% effective in one year.

With the condom, by all means, that's not proper condom use. Check this out for more information on that: http://www.scarleteen.com/blog/heather_corinna/2013/06/27/this_way_not_that_way_avoiding_one_of_the_most_common_condom_oops

Since your period is already late, you can test now anytime. I'd also advise getting new STI tests in the next month or so, especially if you and your boyfriend haven't been sexually exclusive for at least six months AND both had new tests done before that time period began.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67055 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultraviolet
Activist
Member # 108166

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultraviolet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, pre cum can contain sperm in it so yes their is a chance with that, me personally I'm not sure about the second one. And aslong as its been two weeks since this incident you can take a test [Smile]

Best of luck

I'm sure people from the boards can help you with your worry better than I can but I thought I'd answer the questions I could hope you don't mind [Smile]

Posts: 83 | From: London | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Controversy
Activist
Member # 50053

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Controversy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm... okay thank you for all the info, i'll read the article for sure. I'll probably head out and grab a test then.

I'll schedule for a Gyn visit too.. Thanks again

Posts: 132 | From: United States | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you need any help talking with your boyfriend about how to use condoms properly, and assuring they are also used every single time?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67055 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Controversy
Activist
Member # 50053

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Controversy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah he was worried that it was a big chance, and I was too... I guess it was just the heat of the moment because I normally wouldn't do irresponsible things! We all make mistakes though, I also really don't want to worry him. thank you both
Controversy
Activist
Member # 50053

And im not sure, I believe after this scare he wouldnt need me to talk to him... ive spoken to him already. If I need help i'll definitely ask
loopsyme
Neophyte
Member # 108369

Icon 1 posted      Profile for loopsyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If there is penetration, then, yes there is always a risk. And pre-cum has just a little amount of sperm in it. The chance that you're pregnant is pretty high, just wait for a few more days and take a test hun. Next time be careful.
Posts: 38 | From: UK | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

loopsyme: just for the record, pre-ejaculate is a fluid that most often does NOT contain sperm cells.

However, and this is why withdrawal is not 100% effective, even in perfect use, sometimes it *can* pick up trace sperm cells left in the urethra from a previous ejaculation. Perfect use of withdrawal is generally estimated to be around 96% effective in one year. That's less effective in perfect use than nearly any other method, but what that tells us is that, most likely, sperm cells are likely not present in pre-ejaculate more than around 4% of the time.

As well, telling Controversy her chance of pregnancy is pretty high isn't sound or square with the facts we have here, and is only likely to scare her, probably for no good reason.

[ 08-29-2013, 02:07 PM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Controversy
Activist
Member # 50053

That really did just scare me.. haha but thanks, and thank you for calming me again Heather [Smile]
Heather
Member # 3

Sorry about that, Controversy. Sometimes we just delete posts with misinformation, but when we can, we try to instead leave them and just correct them so everyone gets the opportunity to learn new things.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.