Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » How long can sperm live on clothing for?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How long can sperm live on clothing for?
Lola2010
Activist
Member # 108323

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Lola2010     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How long can sperm live on clothes for if its been like over 7 hours would they definetly be dead?
Posts: 44 | From: Scotland | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lola2010
Activist
Member # 108323

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lola2010     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry I mean pre c um not actual sperm
Posts: 44 | From: Scotland | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, pre-cum itself isn't something that's "alive" at all. Sometimes it can have sperm cells in it, but once those cells are on clothing they aren't going to be viable in terms of creating pregnancy.
Posts: 1316 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lola2010
Activist
Member # 108323

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lola2010     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So if their was sperm cells on clothing and I had wore them like 7 hours after that would never create pregnancy?

I've been so paranoid it sounds ridiculous I knowin was fine when wearing them but then I started thinking then these crazy thoughts come into my head then that was it Ive been paranoid the rest of the night [Frown]

Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know we've talked with you a lot about what can and can't cause pregnancy, but just as a reminder, look here: Can I Get Pregnant, or Get or Pass On an STI From That?

Note that everything that carries a risk of pregnancy involves direct genital contact or direct contact with fresh bodily fluids - such as someone ejaculating directly on a bare vulva, not any sort of fluid touching someone else indirectly as you're describing.

Have you had any luck getting in touch with a provider about your anxiety? I really think that's going to be your best next step here.

Posts: 1316 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lola2010
Activist
Member # 108323

Nope I haven't yet, I definitely think I'm goin to as its really beginning to get to me :/ I got really shaky today. And I will take a look again at that article Thankyou
Lola2010
Activist
Member # 108323

Hi I read that article, you see it's under dry sex.. I just have a few questions how does that carry a risk of std? I'm really curious and it said if their was any possible contact from wearing thin garments .. If I was wearing leggins they are quite thin? I was wearing two pairs and undies but that's still not really thick?
Lola2010
Activist
Member # 108323

I ask because I was the only person wearing clothing and it states if it was thin? But I don't know whats really classed as thin sorry for troubling you [Frown]
Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

There are only two STIs listed as risks in that case; you can read about both of them: The STI Files: Pubic Lice and The STI Files: Trichomoniasis Some STIs can be transmitted in different ways, which is why not everything is necessarily a risk with dry sex.

Of course you can only catch an STI if your partner has it, but we can't know exactly what the exact risk level would be in any particular situation. Just because someone has an STI doesn't mean that a partner will get it in any particular scenario, so beyond the information in these articles, I can't narrow things down further.

Lola2010
Activist
Member # 108323

I meant sti, I was just curious Thankyou I will have a read of that article, and would leggins be classed as a thin garment or not?
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Lola

Since you were wearing multiple layers of clothing, it really doesn't matter how thin (or not) the fabric is. Generally when we're talking about thin fabric we're talking about something that is mesh, lace, or very thin cotton, or something like a thong that can be shifted during sexual activity, potentially leading to contact between bare genitals.

Again, though, since we're talking about multiple layers, we don't need to discuss the fabric. [Smile] ,

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultraviolet
Activist
Member # 108166

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultraviolet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alright Thankyou robin [Smile] I mean I did have undies on too so and again it wasnt directly really my vagina so I suppose for it to get through that it's not really going to then find its way to my vagina
Posts: 83 | From: London | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi There,

In our guidelines, we make it clear that people should only create and use one account here at the message boards. In other words, we ask that people not post here using multiple accounts.

Please choose one to use from now on and let us know which one that will be. Thank you.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
loopsyme
Neophyte
Member # 108369

Icon 1 posted      Profile for loopsyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Once semen dries up, then it doesn't contain sperm anymore. I mean they're all dead. Even if semen is not on any clothing but out of human body, still it will dry in a few hours. So there's no way that clothes contain live sperm cells after 7 hours. No need to worry.
Posts: 38 | From: UK | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.