Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » Can you trust the results of a pregnancy test after 5 weeks

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Can you trust the results of a pregnancy test after 5 weeks
hptmistruster
Neophyte
Member # 108240

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hptmistruster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, here's the background. I'm on the pill, and have been for 3 years. 2 pill packs ago, I missed 2 pills at the end of week 1 (June 30 and 31). I made up for them as directed. I took the next one correctly, then missed another 2 (July 2 and 3rd.) I made up for those as well as directed. I took the rest of the pack currently. However, I forgot about the backup recommendation, and had unprotected sex July 9th. This was 5 days before my withdrawal bleed.

The withdrawal bleed came on time. And I took the whole last pill pack correctly (never missed a pill). I am now on day 3 on my placebo week in that second pack.

I took a pregnancy test 3, 4, and 5 weeks after the unprotected sex (it's been 5 weeks today) and they were all negative. I have been getting some cramps and headaches since the sex, but I know that can be from something else, maybe from me thinking about it too much.

Can I be sure that I am not pregnant based on those tests? I only ask because I've heard of women only testing positive later on. But do most women get an accurate result when they test 5 weeks after unprotected sex? I've found so many conflicting answers, I just need one I can rely on: a straight answer.

Posts: 5 | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hptmistruster
Neophyte
Member # 108240

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hptmistruster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I also forgot to mention that I'm usually really good with my pills. Missing the pills this time had been the first time that I have ever missed any in the 3 years I've been taking it. It was a stressful week, and I'm just a little worried.
Posts: 5 | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At the time when you took those tests, they would have been accurate as long as you followed the test instructions. For more information on taking pregnancy tests, you can check out this article: Peeing on a Stick: All About Pregnancy Tests

There's a lot of incorrect information online about pregnancy tests; do you remember where you came across information about people getting false negative results?

Posts: 1352 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hptmistruster
Neophyte
Member # 108240

I remember doing Google searches to see if it would be accurate, but I'm fairly certain unreliable sources popped up first, like Yahoo Answers. You know, where everyone can post their own answers, and not have any proof to back up anything. I guess I was just making myself crazy over it, and thinking that I'd be the one ending up pregnant even though it was negative this far after.

It doesn't help that on those sites, if you read people's stories, and sine of them day that they tested negative until like 3 months orange. I'm sure that's a very rare occurrence, but it's hard not to let that get into your head.

So to be clear for myself and to get out through my head: testing at 5 weeks after sex is accurate and I can trust the results?

hptmistruster
Neophyte
Member # 108240

Sorry, I am on my phone and the autocorrect did a number on that reply. But I'm sure you figured it out. [Smile]
hptmistruster
Neophyte
Member # 108240

I do apologize. I am on my phone and the autocorrect did a number on that reply. (Even after I tried to fix it the first time!) But I'm sure you figured it out. [Smile]

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.