Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » Where do you get your ideas about what pregnancy is like?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Where do you get your ideas about what pregnancy is like?
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you read here at all, you'll know that a lot of people have a lot of ideas about what pregnancy is like. You may or may not also know that often, many of them are not at all reflective of what most people's actual experiences of pregnancy are like: for instance, people who are a few months into pregnancy have huge changes going on with their bodies, so not noticing them is PROFOUNDLY unusual. At the same time, in very early pregnancy, nothing being different at all, save a missed period, is very much the norm.

I'm often curious about where people are getting their ideas of what pregnancy is like from. Television or movies? Sites like Yahoo answers, or sites written by pregnancy healthcare professionals? Books? family members or pregnant friends? family members or friends who have not, themselves, BEEN pregnant?

I'd love to hear some of you talk about where you feel like you're getting most of your education and information about pregnancy from, if you'd like to share!

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
moon_goddess
Activist
Member # 55254

Icon 1 posted      Profile for moon_goddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've gotten most of my ideas of what pregnancy is like from my mom, who has been pregnant multiple times after I was born. She tends to be really open talking about different things that are happening and what it feels like. The most recent time she was pregnant was when I was past puberty, so it was really weird to think that I could have been going through the same thing if I had made different choices with my life.

I think, actually, that having her be pregnant (and have a child) then has had a huge impact on my life. It has made me a lot more careful about being sexually active, as I got to see and experience first-hand how much work being pregnant and having a child was. I got to be present at my sister's birth as well. Except for the fact that I am only familiar with one woman's experience (and everyone is different), I think that was one of the best ways to get accurate and reliable information about what it's like.

Posts: 48 | From: Northern Hemisphere | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's really cool, moon_goddess. [Smile]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CSandSourpatch
Activist
Member # 95598

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CSandSourpatch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am the youngest child in my immediate family, but I still grew up around pregnant women. My dad's youngest sister's second pregnancy is actually one of my few clear memories from before the age of six. After her, I watched numerous teachers go through pregnancy, as well as watching the pregnancies of a neighbor couple. Most recently, my oldest cousins have started having kids.

Every one of these pregnancies has taught me that it is not something to be ashamed of (a few were out of wedlock and/or unplanned, though that's not such a huge deal where I live) and can be incredibly rewarding, but, like moon_goddess said, it is hard, hard work. It is something that I know I want to experience in the future, but for now, I know I'm not ready for it.

Posts: 81 | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.