Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » Help Assessing Pregnancy Risk

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Help Assessing Pregnancy Risk
Nikki9doors
Neophyte
Member # 93259

Icon 11 posted      Profile for Nikki9doors     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, I was wondering if someone here on Scarleteen could help me assess my pregnancy risk.

I have read the articles discussing pregnancy risk, but would like some help for my own situation.

I'll start off by saying I am late for my period, which is irregular. My cycle is usually 32-36 days but is known to sometimes be longer.. up to 45 days. Right now I am at day 40 of my cycle.

The risk occured around july 6th, involved penetration, but no ejaculation around or inside my vulva. After perfoming oral sex, my boyfriend ejaculated and then went to the bathroom and peed. A little bit later while watching a movie, we were fooling around and there was some penetration.

Now I am really worried about a possible pregnancy because of pre-ejaculate. How great is my risk if he ejaculated but peed, and then penetrated?

I'm getting PMS (or early pregnancy?!) symptoms... Sore breasts, more pimples, bloating, the usual.

If someone could talk to me that would be great.

Posts: 14 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Nikki9doors,

Can you please first fill me in on what you learned from the articles and what you feel like you're missing? I realize that what you're experiencing right now feels unique to you, but as far as how pregnancy can or can't happen, it's the same for everyone. Additionally, the information we would give you here would be the same as what you've read in the articles, so I want to see what is confusing or unclear for you.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nikki9doors
Neophyte
Member # 93259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nikki9doors     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I know that there is a risk because there was direct genital to genital contact.. I guess I would just like to know how great the risk of getting pregnant from precum is compared to when ejaculation takes place right on or inside female genitals.

Also does it make a difference whether a guy pees between ejaculations? If a guy ejaculates, does not pee, and then penetrates, would that have the same amount of risk as a full on ejaculation? And would the risk be about the same as the withdrawal method (does that take pre ejaculate into account?)

Posts: 14 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nikki9doors
Neophyte
Member # 93259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nikki9doors     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh and also, could sleeping habits affect menstruation and cycle length?

the last time I started my period was at the very end of school. I guess I can say I was stressed because of exams, and then I started summer where I began sleeping later, eating at random times. And then when I went on vacation it was worse. I was sleeping at 3-4 AM and also not eating at normal times.

Could that be considered stress that delayed my period?

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi There,

Yes, the withdrawal method does take pre-ejaculate into account. So, what you're describing here is akin to the withdrawal method.

Yes, changes in sleeping and eating habits, as well as pretty much anything else that impacts the body in some way, can affect menstruation.

It sounds, though, like your period isn't actually late since you've had periods come later than this. A period is generally considered late when it's 5 or more days later than the latest time one has gotten a period in the past.

Since you did have a pregnancy risk, and you're concerned about pregnancy, your next step would be to either hang in there and wait for your period or to take a pregnancy test.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nikki9doors
Neophyte
Member # 93259

It wouldnt technically be considered late, even if my periods for the past 6 months have been fairly consistent? (45, 34, 36, 32, 32, 34 days respectively)

And sorry to be redundant but I'm not quite sure about the answer of my previous question: If a guy ejaculates, does not pee, and then penetrates, would that have the same amount of risk as a full on ejaculation?

[ 08-01-2013, 11:10 AM: Message edited by: Nikki9doors ]

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Well, you have had a period come after 46 days.

pre-ejaculate can contain sperm if there is sperm left over from an ejaculation hanging out in the urethra. if someone with a penis urinates, that can wash that sperm out. There isn't going to be nearly as much sperm in pre-ejaculate as there is in semen, and the sperm may not be as healthy or viable. That's not a guarantee though that pregnancy can't happen from sperm in pre-ejaculate.

If you'd like to learn more about that, you can take a look at more of the articles and advice columns on our main site.

I'd like to move this conversation along from trying to calculate the risk you had (which really isn't possible, since we know that you *did* have a risk) and on to what you'd like to do about this. So, are you comfortable waiting for your period, or would you like to take a pregnancy test now?

--------------------
Robin

Nikki9doors
Neophyte
Member # 93259

I think my next step will be taking a test today. Will it be as effective at this point? I've read that it is accurate for more than 10-14 days after a risk, or for about a week after a late period. I don't know whether or not my period is late, but will it still be accurate since it's been well over 2 weeks since the risk?

I think I need to just get it over with and quell my worries and nerves now... [Frown]

also will the test be as effective using urine in the evening as opposed to the morning?

[ 08-01-2013, 11:31 AM: Message edited by: Nikki9doors ]

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Actually, the test is accurate *after* 14 days following the sexual activity or *after* a period is late. In other words, you can take a pregnancy test any time once two weeks has passed since the sexual activity and know that you'll get an accurate result.

Every pregnancy test is different. Just follow the instructions that are on the package. usually, though, urination at any time of day will yield an accurate result so long as the test is taken properly.

Here's some more information on pregnancy testing.

Peeing on a Stick: All About Pregnancy Tests

--------------------
Robin

Nikki9doors
Neophyte
Member # 93259

Took a test this afternoon and it came out negative.
So hopefully I did that right and it wasn't a false. [Razz]

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

So long as you followed the instructions on the test, chances are excellent that the result was accurate. [Smile]

--------------------
Robin

Nikki9doors
Neophyte
Member # 93259

Thanks Robin [Smile]
Thought I'd update; my period came 2 days ago, so I could finally start my birth control pills [Smile]

Thanks for the help through that stressful moment

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

You're welcome. [Smile]

--------------------
Robin

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.