Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » Next Choice Side Effects or Pregnant?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Next Choice Side Effects or Pregnant?
rayraynynanny33
Neophyte
Member # 108297

Icon 4 posted      Profile for rayraynynanny33     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Boyfriend & I had unprotected sex once, each of three days that followed my period. My cycle ended on Thursday (8/11), and we had sex on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday (8/11). He withdrew each time, but we did not use any other form of birth control- dumb I know. I took Next Choice on Monday (8/12) and yesterday (8/19) I have had some spotting and cramping this morning. Could I be pregnant? Is this implantation bleeding? I'm not sure when I'm ovulating because I haven't been keeping track. Is it possible to ovulate immediately following my cycle? I also took a pregnancy test yesterday, though it came out negative I know that it's way too early for accurate results.

Thanks for your help in advance

Posts: 9 | From: New York | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi rayraynynanny33 and welcome to Scarleteen,

Some people who take emergency contraception do experience changes to their menstrual cycle, including spotting between periods. just so you know, these changes can last for a few months after taking the E.C.

Spotting and cramping really aren't common signs of pregnancy. There really is no way anyone can tell you if you're pregnant or not. A pregnancy test is the only tool that can do that.

Yes, yesterday was too early to take a test and have it be accurate.

So, if you want to be sure that you did not get pregnant, you'll want to test at a time when the test will be accurate.

I'm including here some information on withdrawal, as well as some information about pregnancy testing.

Would you also like to talk about other birth control options you can use in future?

Withdrawal

Peeing on a Stick: All About Pregnancy Tests

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rayraynynanny33
Neophyte
Member # 108297

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rayraynynanny33     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am interested in birth control like the pill, but have some health restrictions that prevent me from taking any standard prescribed medication. I am at higher risk for blood clots and therefore, must stick to non-hormonal types- at least this is what I understood from the doctor.

I greatly appreciate your help and input on the matter. I feel more at ease about not being pregnant, but I will wait another month to take a test. This has motivated me to schedule a visit with the doctor to explore my options and get prescribed birth control.

Thank you!

Posts: 9 | From: New York | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rayraynynanny33
Neophyte
Member # 108297

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rayraynynanny33     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry I have one more question just for clarification. I haven't taken Next Choice prior to this experience, are bleeding and cramping common side effects that occur one week after consumption? Should I expect to have my period normally next month? Any information you can provide would be greatly appreciated.
Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Even if you can't use hormonal BC methods, you can use one of the most reliable and easily-accessible methods around: condoms! We have a great overview of condom use here: Condom Basics: A User's Manual

Bleeding and cramping are very common side effects; you can read more about EC here: Emergency Contraception (Plan B or the Morning-After-Pill) Also, if you still have the drug insert that came with it, it should have that info (and it's always a good idea to give that insert a read-through any time you take a new medication, so you can know what to expect in situations like this).

I do also want to check in, since you weren't using condoms with your partner before, if both of you are up to date on STI testing. If you aren't, that's definitely something to start now since intercourse without a condom has a high risk of STI transmission.

Posts: 1352 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rayraynynanny33
Neophyte
Member # 108297

We've both been tested. Thank you.
Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another thought for a non-hormonal birth control method would be an IUD, if you want to try something other than just condoms.
Posts: 1352 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.