Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » When to take a pregnancy test?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: When to take a pregnancy test?
xcforever
Neophyte
Member # 107776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for xcforever     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello,
I had sex with my boyfriend about a week ago, and we used a condom perfectly, except that we didn't check for leaks before/after with water (which I just read is something that people do). So I don't think there's a big risk for pregnancy, but as my period is a week late I would like to take a pregnancy test.

I'm confused because according to Scarleteen I can take a pregnancy test the day of a missed period or two weeks after the risk occurred. Normally my period happens every 3 weeks and it's been 4 weeks since my last period, but my last two periods happened within two weeks of each other and they were longer than usual, so because of this irregularity I'm not sure when my period was supposed to start. And honestly I think my normal cycle is 3 weeks but I don't keep track on a calendar so maybe it's not. So could I take a pregnancy test now, or should I wait until Saturday to take it?

Thanks so much!

Posts: 6 | From: New York City | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haleigh H
Volunteer-in-training
Member # 103145

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Haleigh H     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
xcforever,

If your cycle has been irregular and you are unsure when it would have started, I would suggest waiting the two weeks. That way you'll be getting a more accurate result. What do you think?

I'm not sure if you've had a chance to check out these pages but they might be helpful.

Can I Get Pregnant or Pass an STI From That

Pregnancy Risk Assessment

--------------------
Haleigh

Posts: 176 | From: Kansas City, Missouri | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xcforever
Neophyte
Member # 107776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for xcforever     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was thinking the same thing, I just thought I would ask because if there was a possibility to take the pregnancy test earlier I would because I'm getting very nervous waiting [Razz]

Also I did look at those pages, because I used a condom the risk is small but I'm just kind of freaking out because I don't know where my period is.

Thanks for your help!

Posts: 6 | From: New York City | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also sounds like, moving forward, even if your periods are irregular, you'd be helped by charting them.

If you want an easy online tool to do that, we've really liked this one: http://www.monthlyinfo.com

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67055 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haleigh H
Volunteer-in-training
Member # 103145

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Haleigh H     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
xcforever,

I totally get you being nervous and wanting to find out sooner. Wanting to put an end to the worrying is natural.

There are quite a few different reasons, other than pregnancy, why you period may be late. This page goes over them. MIA, or Dude, Where's My Period

Let me know what you think.

--------------------
Haleigh

Posts: 176 | From: Kansas City, Missouri | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xcforever
Neophyte
Member # 107776

Thank you guys! I will definitely chart my periods from now on. I also took a look at that page, the only reason I can think of for a missed period is stress, although I've been much more stressed before and still had regular periods. The only additional stress I have now, is of course stressing about my period being late...
Haleigh H
Volunteer-in-training
Member # 103145

xcforever,

I'm glad we were helpful. Our bodies can be tricky to figure out. Besides charting your cycle, what are some other things that you can do to relax a bit and not feel so stressed? Focusing on things that make you feel good and make you happy might be a great distraction for the worrying.

--------------------
Haleigh

xcforever
Neophyte
Member # 107776

Well I'm going to yoga now, hopefully that will help [Smile]
Haleigh H
Volunteer-in-training
Member # 103145

Sounds like a great idea [Big Grin]

--------------------
Haleigh

xcforever
Neophyte
Member # 107776

So I caved and bought Walgreens One Step pregnancy test, which came with 3 sticks in it. A representative at the Planned Parenthood hotline told me 10 days after sex would work, so I took one this morning and it was negative. According to Peeing on a Stick brand names aren't necessarily better than drugstore tests, but there are many extremely negative reviews online about this brand. Also I found out the hCG level is 100mIU/mL which doesn't seem to be sensitive at all.

Should I trust this result or should I buy a different brand? Also, I'm planning on taking another test at 2 weeks like you guys recommended, and then the last one at 3 weeks, and if that's still negative and I haven't gotten my period I'll make a doctor's appointment. Is that a good plan?

Thanks so much [Smile]

Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There really is no reason that this test wouldn't be accurate, though 10 days after sex is a little early to test based on what we know about how reproduction works. I'm not sure what the negative reviews online were about, but the effectiveness rates for home pregnancy tests are high.

So, I wouldn't worry about the brand but instead, if your period doesn't arrive, test again in a week or two.

I also wanted to mention that checking condoms
for leaks is not necessary, and that actually doing so with water prior to using the condom is not effective condom use. effective condom use includes the condom coming right out of the package and onto the penis or toy it's going onto.

Condoms don't have small holes or leaks in them. They're manufactured under strict guidelines, and as long as the condoms you're using are not expired, the packaging was not damaged when you bought them, and you're storing them properly (away from heat sources and sharp objects) you can trust that when you open a packet and use the condom, it's not broken. If a condom breaks during use, it's a noticeable split or shredding.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xcforever
Neophyte
Member # 107776

I got my period today! Possibly 3 weeks late... Anyway I just wanted to thank you guys for your help [Smile] I'm also starting birth control, and using Google only in moderation from now on...

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.