Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » plan b late period

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: plan b late period
emilym3
Activist
Member # 107331

Icon 1 posted      Profile for emilym3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi I don't really know where to write this but I could use help anywhere! I'm honestly just so confused and pretty angry. here's the first thing... I didn't have sex, at all! I guess there was some humping and we were both naked but it wasn't near my vagina... and I was like cycle day 6 so I couldn't have been ovulating. he ejaculated on my stomach but I'm pretty sure it didn't go anywhere near my opening!! and sperm don't just fly... anyways my friend freaked me out just trying to mess with me saying how I was probably pregnant.. so I went and got plan b within 36 hours of the act. anyways a week later I had bleeding... it wasn't exactly heavy but sometimes my period is light! but I heard this is withdrawl bleeding and I could still be pregnant. so I was expecting toget my period at the regular time.. but I'm now almost two weeks late! since then my breasts have been sore and they look more veiny but honestly this could be in my head as I am a hypochondriac.. basically my question is.. could that bleeding a week after the pill have reset my cycle? also I took 2 preg tests and both were negative... they should be positive by now, correct? if I'm pregnant this would make me the most unlucky human ever. help please!
Posts: 41 | From: cal | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey there, emily.

Did you see Onionpie's answer to this question you asked here yet: http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/ultimatebb.php?/ubb/get_topic/f/10/t/002530/p/1.html#000033

If so, what questions are you left with?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68059 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
emilym3
Activist
Member # 107331

Icon 1 posted      Profile for emilym3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
could that bleeding a week after plan b have been my period?
Posts: 41 | From: cal | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Absolutely. And if it was a lot like your periods -- as in, it happened around the time you expected one, or it was several days of flow, if it came with things like cramps, etc. -- then that's probably exactly what it was.

It sounds like you might have the idea that there is withdrawal bleeding that happens from Plan B like it does for those on ongoing birth control pills, but they're really quite different, since you only take one or two Plan B pills: there aren't three weeks of hormones and then a week off from them for there to be a withdrawal bleed that occurs from those pills.

Sometimes, Plan B can cause some spotting, but flow that's a lot like a period that happens after Plan B is basically going to be happening because it IS a period. Make sense?

Regardless, though, you have taken pregnancy tests with negative results, so even if you hadn't had that flow, you could know you are clearly not pregnant.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68059 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
emilym3
Activist
Member # 107331

could that bleeding a week after plan b have been my period? and why are my breasts sore 5 weeks after ?
Heather
Member # 3

I've already addressed that first question with you.

Breast tenderness can happen for a whole host of reasons. Most typically, it's due to normal hormonal shifts -- of people who have breasts, including, people with breasts who are not pregnant. But are you saying you have had profound breast tenderness or soreness for five weeks straight?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

emilym3
Activist
Member # 107331

sorry I didn't mean to ask the same question twice, just the part about sore breasts
emilym3
Activist
Member # 107331

no it's been about one and a half weeks and it's not horrible breast pain just a little uncomfortable... also are pregnancy test pretty reliable?
Heather
Member # 3

Hopefully, you read the box and instructions of your tests. If you did, one thing you would have seen straightaway is the effectiveness rate of that HPT. All HPTs, when taken properly are over 99% effective, and will list that rate on their packaging and consumer information.

This kind of breast tenderness, have you never experienced it before? If not, then what it may be is either a) a normal hormonal shift your body is going through, as it will during some times of life, or b) a reaction to the Plan B, as breast tenderness is one of several possible side effects.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

emilym3
Activist
Member # 107331

ok I was just unsure of what this rate involved... I just thought sometimes there's false negatives or something
no I only get this pain during my period so I'm hoping it's just the plan b causing all of this

Heather
Member # 3

Well, 99% isn't 100%, and there's also the matter of those who don't follow the directions on a test.

But if you followed all the directions, including taking the tests when advised to take them, with two negatives, you can rest assured you are not pregnant, and will need to accept that you're not pregnant.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

emilym3
Activist
Member # 107331

ok thanks for your help [Smile]
Heather
Member # 3

Sure thing. [Smile]

Sounds like it also might serve you to talk with your boyfriend about this:maybe you don't feel so comfortable with him ejaculating on your body?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

emilym3
Activist
Member # 107331

yes I have talked to him about that!
I started bleeding a bit today but it's not very heavy, I'm assuming this would be the start of my period?

emilym3
Activist
Member # 107331

it's almost like spotting.. I'm confused cuz apparently spotting means pregnancy?
Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Spotting is not at all a reliable indicator of pregnancy. You've also had two tests come back negative, correct?
Heather and Onionpie have both mentioned that spotting is a common side effect of Plan B, plus it can make your menstrual cycle irregular for a few cycles. So any irregularities in bleeding that you're noticing are most likely due to the Plan B.

If you haven't read this article yet, I think now's a good time: Chicken Soup for the Pregnancy Symptom Freakout's Soul

Posts: 1329 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
emilym3
Activist
Member # 107331

yes both have came back negative!
spotting can happen before a period too correct?

Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Spotting can happen any time during one's cycle. Also, some people do find that their periods start off light, with bleeding that looks and feels more like spotting than the start of a period.

When you talked to your boyfriend, what did he say? What was the result of that conversation? That is, what did you two decide?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
emilym3
Activist
Member # 107331

alright yes it's more like a period now!
haha oh he apologized a lot and it was an accident! he's very respectful so it's all good

Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glad to hear that--all of it! [Smile]

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
emilym3
Activist
Member # 107331

also about my period... yesterday it was extremely heavy and like a normal period but today it looks like it might stop because it's so light... still a chance I'm pregnant cuz I heard you can't still have bleeding and be pregnant ?
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sometimes the flow can vary throughout a period, get a little lighter and then pick up again. A period slowing down a bit after a couple of days is not a sign of anything. Also, you did take Plan B, which can make periods look a little different from what you are used to.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9181 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
emilym3
Activist
Member # 107331

if you were pregnant there would be no heavy bleeding right?
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you were pregnant, you would not be having a period.

And as Heather and others discussed with you above, you did also take Plan B, and have had negative pregnancy test results in the meantime.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9181 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.