Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » Pregnancy scare, any advice?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pregnancy scare, any advice?
lucylou
Neophyte
Member # 102341

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lucylou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was wondering if anyone could help me?

I have been using 'the pill' or Microgynon for about 2 years now, since the age of 18. I've had my fair share of pregnancy scares whilst being on it, but have all turned out to be nothing, however I seem to be having one again, or I could just be going mad, ha ha....
First and foremost, the thought of being pregnant at this age scares me to death, that's why I'm so worried!

Basically, me and my long term partner had sex a couple of weeks ago, the 12th of Jan, Saturday, to be precise, we didn't use protection, obviously, that's why I'm writing this........ I missed my pill the following Monday morning (I take them every morning) I was running late and in such a rush. It would have been my EIGHTH pill in my pack. I then forgot to take Tuesday's pill in the morning, but proceeded to take it around midnight, along with Monday's pill. I felt such an idiot!
I have estimated I went around 40 hours without protection.
So what do we think guys, should I be worried or am I overreacting?

Thanks.

Posts: 6 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can I ask if while using the pill, you've also been using condoms? If not, since you've been missing pills, and also still felt very scared about pregnancy while using your pill, I'd suggest you consider doing so. Plus? Bonus STI protection your pill can't give you.

So, do I have right that you missed two pills two days in a row? But you made up both of them? If so, emergency contraception likely isn't something that would do much here. Your pill certainly isn't likely at its most effective in this case, but if you made both up within those same two days you took them late or missed them, at most, your pill has likely only been knocked down to the typical use rate of effectiveness (where it often is for most people using it anyway -- that's 92% effective in one year).

Best advice? For the rest of this pack, if you do engage in any sex, back it up with condoms. And to keep from missing pills, if you have a mobile phone, set an alarm on it to ring every day when it's time to take your pill. [Smile]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lucylou
Neophyte
Member # 102341

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lucylou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For this pack, I have only had unprotected sex once, which is the one I mentioned. Then on I have been using condoms, no doubt about that!
Thanks for your reply!

Posts: 6 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How are you feeling about all this now?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lucylou
Neophyte
Member # 102341

I'm feeling better thankyou. [Smile]
I have some news, my withdrawal bleed came as normal last night (Thursday night) however I was concerned, my blood was brown and there wasn't alot of it, I saw a bit more this morning and then my normal red blood returned....
should I be worried about this? I read online that forgettr to take pills can affect your withdrawal bleed, but it shouldnt mean I'm pregnant, should it?

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi LJodkowski,

No, this is nothing to b concerned about. Withdrawal bleeds won't always look or feel the same. That brown blood is just old blood. [Smile]

Glad to hear you're feeling relieved. [Smile]

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lucylou
Neophyte
Member # 102341

so it's perfectly normal? as my blood has never been that colour before! and wondering why there would be old blood inside me! hahahah no that's fine I'll stop worrying now, thanks for all your help x
C-rius Teen
Neophyte
Member # 102726

Icon 1 posted      Profile for C-rius Teen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am scared that I could be pregnant. A couple of months ago I was involved with a guy, and I was and I still am taking the injection contraceptive. We did not have penetrative sex because I was afraid of this situation, so we only had ''dry sex'' grinding with clothes on. At some stage I took of my pants n only had my panty on and he still had his pants on. I don't remember becoming wet at any stage but I'm afraid it was quite a long time ago for me to remember. I wonder what are the risks that I could be pregnant. My stomach has been feeling funny for the past week and I've been spotting. First it appeared as dark brown ruddy discharge and then it turned into bright red. I have pains similar to period pains and sometimes my lower back aches. Could I be paranoid or am I really faced with a pregnancy scare?
Posts: 2 | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Hey C-rius Teen
and welcome to scarleteen,

We do ask people to create their own thread when posting a question so that we only have one person's discussion in each thread. To do this, click the post new topic" link at the top of any page.

Also, here's a link to get you started with assessing if you've had a pregnancy risk or not.

http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/ultimatebb.php?/ubb/get_topic/f/27/t/027786.html

--------------------
Robin

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.