Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » Took Plan B But Could I Still Be Pregnant?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Took Plan B But Could I Still Be Pregnant?
lindser04
Neophyte
Member # 102297

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lindser04     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everyone. I'm hoping that I can possibly get some help and/or advice for my situation.

Two weeks ago (Jan. 12), my boyfriend & I had unprotected sex that night. We usually do use a condom but things got hot and heavy really fast; however, he pulled out, masturbated, and came. We went to sleep, but I woke up early Sunday morning to use the bathroom and, after I wiped, found blood and a clot on the toilet paper. I use an app on my iPod touch to keep track of my period and it said that my ovulation for this cycle was supposed to occur that day. I panicked, not sure if the bleeding was from us having sex, ovulation, or there had been fertilization.

After he went to work, I went to a local pharmacy, bought the Plan B One-Step pill, and took it as soon as I got home (this was Jan. 13). That whole week was full of anxiety and major stress. I constantly checked the internet for pregnancy signs and prayed the pill worked. The following weekend, we ended up having sex on Jan. 19 twice, but I made sure we used a condom both times.

Sunday (Jan. 18), I went to the bathroom and found I was having bleeding. It continued off and on that day and I though that I'd gotten my period early. I re-read the booklet that came with the Plan B and saw that it can cause your period to come earlier, with lighter flow (my periods are usually medium, with bad cramps). I did have actual bleeding for about two days, but it wasn't like a normal period for me but has lasted as long as my period normally does, which is about 4 days. (the app I use says that my period was supposed to start this Saturday, Jan. 26).

I've tried to keep in mind that my period had probably changed due to taking Plan B but I'm still really scared that the pill DIDN'T work, and what I had was implantation bleeding or my period had changed because I could possibly be pregnant. I've even started getting more worried because last night (Jan. 23) my breasts felt a little sore and it just threw me into more panic because I don't know if it was just a random occurrence or a pregnancy sign.

I guess what I'm asking is this:

1. Even though I took Plan B immediately the day after having unprotected sex, should I still take a pregnancy test or is it too late?
2. Did I actually get my period, even though it was earlier and lighter or was it possibly an indication of pregnancy?

I'm sorry for the length of this post, but this has been causing me a lot of stress and anxiety for almost three weeks and I'm scared that I actually could be pregnant. I keep looking up the symptoms of pregnancy online (which isn't helping, because I can't tell if I'm actually having them or it's coming from being upset).

Any help or advice that I can get right now would be greatly received and greatly appreciated.

[ 01-24-2013, 06:26 AM: Message edited by: lindser04 ]

Posts: 5 | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi lindser04 and welcome to Scarleteen,

First of all, you're actually describing having used two birth control methods: withdrawal and Plan B. From what you described, you used withdrawal effectively, withdrawing well before ejaculation. You can read here for information on Withdrawal

Secondly, no app can tell you if you're ovulating. It just can't know what's happening in your body. The only way to really know if one is ovulating is for one to have charted one's basal body temperature, cervical mucus, or both, every day for several months.

Here's some more information on that:

Get With the Flow: All About FAM

Third, pregnancy symptoms do not show up right away.

It certainly isn't too late to take a pregnancy test. IN fact, it is sound to take one if you're concerned about pregnancy, and it's sound to take one after having used Plan B. You said that the unprotected sex was two weeks ago, and pregnancy tests are accurate when taken two or more weeks after a risk, so you can go ahead and take one today if you would like.

I think you might find it helpful to review the following article, so you can get a sense of how reproduction occurs and that the process is actually on a much longer timeline (I.E. the body doesn't just instantly become pregnant).

Where DID I Come From? A Refresher Course in Human Reproduction

I would also suggest limiting your Internet searches to solid, verifiable information; there are a lot of stories out there that I feel pretty sure people post for the wrong reasons, such as to scare people or make themselves sound important.

Have you been able to get support through all these fears from your boyfriend or from other people?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lindser04
Neophyte
Member # 102297

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lindser04     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, Robin. Thank you for responding to my post.

I've always been told/heard that withdrawal was not a best option for birth control, but I can understand there might not be a chance anything happened because even though there was penetration, he didn't ejaculate inside me.

I should look into another way to track my period/ovulation instead of the period tracker app I've been using. It's actually given me problems before, i.e. saying my period was supposed to be on a certain date, and then it didn't start on that date, which has lead to a lot of headaches.

I admit, looking for info online hasn't helped the situation. I did look at websites such as WebMD and AmericanPregnancy.org, but I starting searching out other websites for answers, which I think only made me panic more.

I'm ashamed to admit this...but I haven't talked to anyone about it, including my boyfriend [Frown] . He is a sweet & caring guy, loves me unconditionally, and I can talk to him about anything, but I've been so scared about what could happen/be happening that I've not mentioned it to anyone, except you kind folks here. I realize now I should've talked to him sooner instead of being in complete misery for the past almost three weeks.

I was reading some of the information on Scarleteen and came across the article entitled 'Pregnancy Scared?' After reading it and seeing your response about taking a pregnancy test, I've come to the realization that doing so is my best option at this point.

I did have another question, for you or anyone who could answer. When would be the best time to take a pregnancy test today? I work 3rd shift and usually take a nap for about 3-4 hours today. If I were to pick one up this morning, would I be able to take the test when I get up from my nap or should I wait until tomorrow morning to do so?

Thank you for all of your help. I will try and post a reply when I know what's going to come of this.

Thank you again for addressing my questions.

Posts: 5 | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HI There,

You're most welcome.

You can take the pregnancy test at any time. So long as you leave the test in the packaging, you can buy it when you're able to then wait to take it when you're able to. Does that help?

As the article on withdrawal I linked you to indicates, while it's not terribly reliable if not used properly, it's actually got a pretty high effectiveness rate when done correctly.

It really is much easier to handle things when we have someone to share them with. [Smile] Will you be telling your boyfriend how you've been feeling/what you've been thinking?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lindser04
Neophyte
Member # 102297

Hi Robin, I just got back from picking up a pregnancy test at Walmart and wanted to say thanks for your quick response.

The article I read here said it's best to use the urine when you use the bathroom after you first get up in the morning, but I think I'll do it after my nap so I can get a definitive answer and put my life back in some sort of order. I just wanted to be sure I'm taking the test correctly so I don't get a false result.

I was thinking about what you said about talking to my boyfriend and after seeing your question, I think that, yes, I am going to talk to him about my thoughts/feelings. When we first had sex, I asked him if he would use a condom and, if you can believe it, he actually drove to the Kmart near his apartment and bought a box. He's never expressed any reluctance to use them, but there was a little there when I asked him to use them last weekend (he still did though). I need to let him know that we need to be using them, no matter what, and a lot of other things that've been on my mind since this whole situation started.

I also think that I'm going to put a major effort into finding and talking to a doctor about having a pelvic exam and birth control. I don't want to have any more experiences like this (I did have a few freak-outs in the past, but never a situation this serious). I really don't want to put myself through this again.

Thanks again for your kind responses. As scary as this is, I know what I have to do. I'll hopefully have some sort of news later on today or tonight.

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

You're most welcome.

Unless the instructions on the test say to take it first thing in the morning, it's actually not necessary to do so. Can you let me know which article on our site said that? Thanks.

Would you like any assistance in locating a doctor in your area. It's definitely important to start taking care of your sexual healthcare.

Those sound like excellent things to talk to your boyfriend about. If you need any support or help around that conversation, or after you have it, please let us know.

--------------------
Robin

lindser04
Neophyte
Member # 102297

Hi, Robin.

Well, it looks like right now I have better news. I used one of the pregnancy tests this afternoon after I got up from my nap (around 3:45pm). I ended up using the method where you go in a container and then dip the test in. The test came out negative, which has made me feel a little better. I'm think I'm going to take the second test that was in the box in a week or two just as a precaution.

The article I read was 'Peeing on a Stick' but there is a chance I might've misread the article, too. I was tired and really anxious when I was reading it, so I could've interpreted something wrong. I'm sorry if there was any confusion. The instructions that came with the tests also said it was better to use your first urine of the day, but I thought I would try your advice from earlier.

Thank you for the offer to find a doctor. I do have a physician listed on my health insurance card (it was the last doctor I'd been to a few years ago), but if you all could help me locate someone as well, I'd be most appreciative.

As for my boyfriend, if there's any tips/suggestions on what I should discuss with him or the best way to do it, I'd be happy to hear them. He and I can talk very easy, but this is something I'm not 100% sure about bringing up or talking about without scaring him or being unable to express how I'm feeling.

I know now I need to take care of myself to prevent this from happening again. I really don't want to put myself though this in the future. Thank you again for all of your help. It has been greatly appreciated,

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

You're very welcome, and I'm glad to hear that you got the test result you wanted. [Smile]

Per finding a doctor, the doctors your insurance company lists (they should have more people on the list than just the one on your card) is really the best place to start as you know for sure that those doctors take your insurance.

You can also use our Find-a-Doc database to look for doctors in those areas.
So, how about you start with doctors listed through your insurance (you should be able to call them or look on their Web site for a list) and if that doesn't pan out we can go from there?

It sounds to me like you have a pretty clear idea of what you want to talk with your boyfriend about. For tips on how to have that conversation, check out:
Be a Blabbermouth! The Whats, Whys and Hows of Talking About Sex With a Partner

--------------------
Robin

lindser04
Neophyte
Member # 102297

Hi, Robin.

I was pretty relieved when the test turned out negative but I still feel a little apprehensive for some reason. I'm planning on taking the second test this week just to confirm the results and go from there.

I'm going to try and contact my PCP this week (hopefully tomorrow) to set up an appointment for a physical/exam and to talk to them about birth control and the other issues that've been on my mind.

Unfortunately, my boyfriend had to work so I didn't get to see him for very long this weekend. Next weekend, he's off so I'm planning on talking to him then. Thank you for the link to the article; I think there're some good ideas there & I'm fairly confident we'll be able to talk openly and honestly.

Thanks so much. If I have any more questions or concerns, I'll post them here.

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

You're welcome.

Best of luck with everything. [Smile]

--------------------
Robin

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.