Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » How likely can you get pregnant from precum?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How likely can you get pregnant from precum?
Melli*
Neophyte
Member # 101331

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Melli*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did not have intercourse with the man. However there was some minor genital touching - as in he pushed his wet boxers against my vulva for a few seconds. He tried to push inside; I kept pulling away since I did not want unprotected intercourse. I was expecting my period on the 23rd (or 21st) and I still have not gotten it. How likely are my chances of pregnancy? I hear a woman can become pregnant even when intercourse is not involved.

If It helps, ever since I've became sexually active in May of this year - my cycles have been irregular. It's only recently in October that they've started become normal again. It stayed normal through October and November. Just now, after doing foreplay with the male, my menstrual is about 8 days late.

Posts: 30 | From: Halifax | Registered: Dec 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HI Melli* and welcome to Scarleteen,

Can you please take a look at this information about pregnancy risks? If you still have questions after reading this, come on back and we'll talk about them. [Smile]

http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/ultimatebb.php?/ubb/get_topic/f/27/t/027786.html

Thanks.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melli*
Neophyte
Member # 101331

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Melli*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read it before my post was made. I'm just curious if I actually have a chance at pregnancy before I test. What are my chances, involving precum on the vulva?
Posts: 30 | From: Halifax | Registered: Dec 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In your post above, you said that he was wearing his boxers while there was genital contact. Am I understanding that correctly?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melli*
Neophyte
Member # 101331

Yes. His boxers were wet with precum, I'm assuming this since they were like that before he touched me.
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

As you read in the articles, pregnancy risks don't exist if there is one or more layer of clothing between genitals. In other words, in order for there to be a pregnancy risk, either one of two things needs to happen:
1) There needs to be contact between a bare penis and a bare vulva--vaginal intercourse, anal intercourse, or rubbing the genitals together.
2) Contact between freshly ejaculated semen and a bare vulva.vulva.

You are not describing either of these scenarios.

--------------------
Robin

Melli*
Neophyte
Member # 101331

So even though his boxers were drenched with precum and it was rubbing on my bare vulva, there is absolutely no chance of pregnancy?

I hear you can get pregnant from precum but is what I'm describing and thinking, a very rare case to actually happen? I heard about women becoming pregnant by precum and not actually letting the male ejaculate inside them (ex; the 'pull out' method).

Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It would be highly unlikely.

If someone is having intercourse and using withdrawal, like you described, and someone becomes pregnant,. it's going to be because they partner with did not withdraw on time, so did, in fact, ejaculate inside them, or ejaculated directly on their genitals.

For a pregnancy to happen, there was to be direct contact with semen. It just can't happen otherwise.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67052 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melli*
Neophyte
Member # 101331

Alright. It's more likely that my period is irregular and late once again, than an actual pregnancy without intercourse?

I'm not on birth control - I'm against anything like that being injected in my body. I regularly use condoms and have been successful with all attempts with them.

Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's what I'd say, yes.

Do you feel like you feel okay using condoms alone? One reason I ask is that a) not all birth control methods require any kind of injection, and 2) sometimes people don't get that with hormonal methods, the "something like that" is really only synthetic versions of the same hormones you already have in your body.

And, of course, even for people for whom those methods aren't the thing they want the most, they want a pregnancy, or to worry about pregnancy, a lot less.

At the same time, if you want to keep on using condoms alone, maybe a chat with your partner about things like not engaging ion this kind of activity, which you know worries you, might be all you need? Like agreeing that everyone's wearing undergarments for things, and if one of you isn't, and genital-to-genital contact, even indirectly, is involved, it's time to put on a condom?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67052 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melli*
Neophyte
Member # 101331

Yes. I do not allow any genital contact, unless a condom is involved. My partner got carried away and pushed his boxers against my bare vulva - and since I kept hearing about precum pregnancies - that is when I began to get concerned. I am not financially capable of a child at this age and cannot imagine raising one at only nineteen years old. A condom is absolutely necessary and needed if activity is to happen. My partner and I are no longer together; he is going through some personal issues and has cut all contact with me. He has been 'sober' for 8 months and may have relapsed. I will not go into further detail.

I understand that not all birth control is injecting substances into the body - but I still do not know the long term effects those synthetic items are putting into my body. I may speak a lot of professionals about this, before I consider letting it become a part of my life as I want to know that it is safe.

Heather
Member # 3

Well, with most methods of hormonal birth control, we literally have decades of research to know about safety as well as efficacy.

But no one method of contraception, or class of methods, is right for everyone, and by all means, no one has to use hormonal methods to have highly effective birth control. For example, combining condoms with a cervical barrier gives you the same level of protection that say, something like a depo-provera injection does.

I'm sorry to hear about the troubles with your partner.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Melli*
Neophyte
Member # 101331

Thank you.

According to the ovulation calendar I have, I'm about ten days late for my menstrual. Are you positive that no pregnancy could occur with what I've done with my partner? I feel as though I should test to make sure, but I also don't want to waste unnecessary money (I've done it before). Ever since I've become sexually active, my menstruals have been irregular - as in I would get it one month then missed the next. This has always caused pregnant scares for me - the worst was when I went two months without one. However, in October amd November, I was regular for both months. Now, after the activity on the 14th, it is not here at all. Could this be a factor for it being late as well - more than pregnancy? I'm a bit concerned and worried.

I'm sorry if I continue to repeat myself. I just want to reassure myself - and give you more information as well.

[ 12-31-2012, 01:00 PM: Message edited by: Melli* ]

Heather
Member # 3

If you're ten days late for your period, and worried about a pregnancy, then I'd say it's past time to just take a pregnancy test.

Like I said, pregnancy in this situation is not at all likely, but staying afraid like this when you could have the answer in literally about three minutes after taking a test doesn't strike me as sound. Buying a test seems like a smart investment for you to me.

Per the lateness, though, it sounds like your cycles are often irregular.

(Also, an ovulation calendar isn't likely going to be helpful to you if a) it's not asking for cervical mucus or basal temps, the only ways we can accurately predict ovulation, and b) if your cycles are irregular.)

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Melli*
Neophyte
Member # 101331

Alright. I was also wondering, I've had regular menstruals all my life so why is it now, after I became sexually active, that they've become irregular?

I spoke to my mother about this - and she stated that it was my hormones being unbalanced. They've been like this for seven months so far.

Heather
Member # 3

Well, one thing I'm hearing you say is that there's been a lot of stress afoot, both with pregnancy scares and what sounds like an unstable partner, things which each tend to cause a lot of stress.

Or, it could be coincidental -- about a shift in your cycle, which will happen often throughout our lives -- or about something different altogether, like a change in weight or how much or how little you're eating, etc.

"Unbalanced hormones" are often layman (or laywoman!) speak for "Something is wrong with your menstrual cycle, but I don't know what." In reality, an imbalance with testosterone and/or estrogen tends to cause a lot more symptoms for people with that really going on than wonky periods.

Have you yet started getting your regular sexual healthcare, like pap smears and bimanual exams, which you likely need by now anyway?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Melli*
Neophyte
Member # 101331

Yes. I had my first pap smear in June.

What are bimanual exams?

Heather
Member # 3

A bimanual exam is where a doctor uses their hands, one on the abdomen, one inside the vagina, to check your uterus.

That pap and exam back in June: did they suggest anything might be up with your reproductive system or hormones then? If not, you can likely rest assured it's all working just fine, unless something massive has changed since then (and simply engaging in sex, itself, isn't anything like that, since that can't change your body unless it results in an infection, injury or a pregnancy)

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Melli*
Neophyte
Member # 101331

She said nothing.
Heather
Member # 3

So, you can safely assume that's because she didn't find anything to indicate any problems.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Melli*
Neophyte
Member # 101331

Yes. I'm just a bit concerned as I had regular menstruals both two months ago - and now all of a sudden it's irregular again. This can happen without pregnancy occurring and to think I am pregnant seems a little silly since there is barely any chance? ~
eryn_smiles
Peer Ambassador
Member # 35643

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eryn_smiles         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you remain concerned about this late period, perhaps it is worthwhile for your peace of mind to take a pregnancy test, even though the risk from the activities you described is extremely low. Irregular periods over months are not a sign of pregnancy.

--------------------
"Caring for myself is not self-indulgence, it is self-preservation and that is an act of political warfare."

Audre Lorde

Posts: 1326 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.