Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » Is there any reason to be concerned?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Is there any reason to be concerned?
fallen9182
Neophyte
Member # 99544

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fallen9182     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My girlfriend has been on the pill for 5 1/2 months now. She takes a combination hormone pill, and has never missed one. At the beginning of this month, she took her first pill an hour late, but the rest were all on time. She is very good about taking her pill on time, and the latest she has ever been was 2 hours late a few months ago. She takes her pill at 9pm, and has taken a few at 9:15/9:20-9:30 etc..

Earlier last week we had sex without a condom like we usually do. We rely on the pill alone for protection against pregnancy. I usually always pull out, but last time I did it I pulled out a little too soon, and didn't ejaculate right away.

A small drop of semen came out, but I didn't fully ejaculate and lost the sensation to. After trying to fully ejaculate I couldn't, so I went back inside her for about 30 seconds until I felt like I had to fully ejaculate, then I pulled out again and the rest came out.

I'm a bit concerned because since a small drop came out the first time I pulled out, there was likely a bit of semen on my penis when I went back in. I did not fully ejaculate inside her, because I pulled out the second time and that's when I fully ejaculated. If my girlfriend has been on the pill for 5 months, and quite good at taking it on time, should I be worried about possibly impregnating her by going back in? Like I mentioned earlier, she took the first pill of her new pack for that month an hour late, so I guess that's what is freaking me out a bit.

Thanks for any responses.

[ 11-11-2012, 03:33 PM: Message edited by: fallen9182 ]

Posts: 8 | From: MA | Registered: Nov 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you are using both the pill and withdrawal, you are using two methods of birth control. That's a great idea, because it means that if one method fails, you can fall back on the other method.

So it sounds like you probably didn't practice withdrawal perfectly, but it's okay, because you've got a back-up method: your girlfriend has been taking the pill as directed, so her protection from the pill should be at least in the typical use (92%), likely even better.

Do keep in mind that sex without condoms exposes you both to STI risks. So if you haven't been tested recently, you'll want to make sure to get tested soon.

--------------------
-joey
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 8994 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just to be clear, though, for future reference, for withdrawal to be at all effective as a method, it means you have to withdraw WELL in advance of orgasm or ejaculation, not while it's happening or a little before.

Understandably, this can be pretty hard for some folks to do, which is why the failure rate for withdrawal is so high.

So, moving forward, if you know this is hard for you to do, or don't want to have to withdraw considerably -- as in minutes, not seconds -- before orgasm, how about switching over to condoms instead? They are more effective, especially in typical use. They also offer STI protection neither ht pill or withdrawal can.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67055 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallen9182
Neophyte
Member # 99544

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fallen9182     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good to know. So with the combination pill, a pill is not considered late unless it's 12 hours past when it was supposed to be taken?

If her pill was taken say an hour late, would this have any effect of her protection? Would that still leave her at the higher 90% range for protection rate? Or would that make her a "typical" user? She's only been an hour late on rare occasions, she almost always takes her pill right on time or within a half hour of her scheduled time

Posts: 8 | From: MA | Registered: Nov 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HI There,

An hour late isn't even late. The most important thing is to take the pill at the same time of day every day. So, say, if someone chose to always take their pill at bedtime, it wouldn't matter if they went to bed at 9:30 one night and 10:47 another night. Primarily people like to take the pill at the same time every day to make sure that they take it.

Just to check in: Since you're not using condoms, are both you and your girlfriend up-to-date on your STI screenings?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallen9182
Neophyte
Member # 99544

Yes we are, within the year.
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like you're on top of your sexual health care, which is terrific.

Here's some further information about withdrawal and birth control pills to supplement what we've already shared with you.

Withdrawal

Three questions about taking the birth control pill (and plenty of answers)

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallen9182
Neophyte
Member # 99544

Thanks, this is great information. It's good to know that her being an hour late starting her new pack doesn't have much of an effect on anything. That was what kind of freaked me out.

Since she was an hour late that one time, and maybe around an hour late 3-4 times in the past 5 months, I'd have to guess she is almost a perfect user. She's never missed a pill and without those few exceptions, always takes it within a half hour of her scheduled time.

Thanks again for clarifying all this and posting real information. I've stumbled across so many sites before I found this one where people would contradict themselves all the time regarding information about the pill. It was getting frustrating and worrisome to me that there was so much back and forth info on this stuff. Good to know you guys have it down!

EDIT: ALSO, she just messaged me last night saying her breasts are sore. This is not the first time she has said this to me, and I am well aware that this is a very common side effect of the pill. Does her breasts being sore indicate that the pill has done it's job so far this month? What I mean by that is since her breasts are sore, is that proof that the hormones in the pill have her protected from pregnancy, or that the pill is "working"? Or does it mean nothing at all other than a spike in hormones

[ 11-12-2012, 11:09 AM: Message edited by: fallen9182 ]

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

HI There,

You're very welcome.

I'm so glad you've found the information here to be useful and consistent. That's what we aim for.

Your girlfriend's breasts being sore really isn't an indication of anything specific.

--------------------
Robin

fallen9182
Neophyte
Member # 99544

I have another question lol. Sorry to keep reviving this thread but this is the only place where anyone will answer me

How exactly does the pill "fail" on some people? I've heard stories where people claim they were damn near close to perfect pill users and they say still got pregnant on it. I know the pill protects you from pregnancy in 3 ways, so how do all 3 of these fail on someone who doesn't miss pills?

I know certain antibiotics can effect the pill, but my girlfriend does not take any. Obviously missed pills are a huge reason too, but again she hasn't missed any. Timing shouldn't be much of an issue because like you've said, she has a pretty large window of time with the combination pill, and she's never been more than 3 hours late with one, or had to double up on one.

I understand that nothing can be 100% obviously, but people mention you only get the highest level of protection from "perfect" use, and that perfect use is not really realistic for people in everyday life. Wouldn't no interference with the pill such as antibiotics or bad timing/missing pills justify someone being quite close to "perfect"?

Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Really, when the pill fails in perfect use, it's just like any medication not working as it is designed to.

if we all had the same body and metabolized medications the same ways, this would be a non-issue. But we don't.

The long story short, ultimately, is that some people are very, very fertile and have reproductive systems that manage now and then not to comply with what a birth control method is trying to do. With the pill, that's about one if every 2,000 people a year who take it, so you can see that while that's not exactly rare, it certainly is uncommon, since 1,999 other users each year will NOT become pregnant using the pill the same way.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67055 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.