Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » I don't know what to do (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: I don't know what to do
Cup_Cake
Neophyte
Member # 97457

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cup_Cake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm 28 weeks pregnant with my first baby, I was never sure about the baby but my boyfriend convinced me it would alright and to keep it, I just found out my boyfriends been cheating on me and he says he doesn't want to be with me. I moved away for him and kept a baby I didn't know if I wanted, now I don't know what to do any more :'(

--------------------
Do the cupcake dance

Posts: 31 | From: Ireland | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Onionpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Cup_cake, welcome to scarleteen. I'm so sorry that you're in this position, I understand how upset and confused you might be feeling right now.

You are welcome to talk things through here with us, but I also think it might be good to get some more immediate and local support, so I've found some support services that will be able to help you -- you can just talk things out with them, but you can also ask them for recommendations/referrals to additional resources that would be able to help you out in this tough situation you've been put in.

Samaritans
08457 90 90 90 (UK)
1850 60 90 90 (ROI)
http://www.samaritans.org/how-we-can-help-you/contact-us

Please Talk
http://pleasetalk.ie/

[ 09-22-2012, 03:40 PM: Message edited by: Onionpie ]

Posts: 1311 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cup_Cake
Neophyte
Member # 97457

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cup_Cake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi onionpie. Thanks for replying. I volunteer with the Samaritans on the switch boards. So I'll feel a bit weird calling them for help. I thinks I'll probably go back home and be with my family, they will be support.

--------------------
Do the cupcake dance

Posts: 31 | From: Ireland | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, cupcake. If you want someone to talk through your options with, I'd be happy to do that with you.

Obviously at this point, those options are parenting or adoption.

I'm so sorry you were put in this position. [Frown]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cup_Cake
Neophyte
Member # 97457

Hi heather. I've been thinking about adoption a lot but I'm unsure if it's right I could give her everything she needed a home, be finically stable, love. But my own selfish reason for thinking about adoption is I don't know if I can be a mother.

--------------------
Do the cupcake dance

Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One thing I always like to remind anyone making reproductive choices of is that it's not only okay to be selfish, it's important to be. In other words, these are big choices, and they are about someone else -- a kid -- but they also are about yourself. And if and when we don't think about what we want and need, don't want and don't need, are and are not capable of, we can't serve that kid or maybe-kid very well. Too, mothers -- be they actively parenting or birth mothers -- aren't non-people once a kid comes into the picture. You matter here, too.

So, maybe we should start by trying to help you identify what you want, ideally, rather than what you could or couldn't do?

In other words, to kind of start at ground zero: do you want to parent someone for the next 18+ years right now?

[ 09-23-2012, 12:45 PM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cup_Cake
Neophyte
Member # 97457

Honestly right now no I don't

--------------------
Do the cupcake dance

Heather
Member # 3

Okay.

So, would you like to look into adoption?

One of the things that's a good thing about the adoption process is that a person can make a birth/parenting plan AND an adoption plan concurrently.

In other words, an adoption arrangement should always have a legal window to change your mind at any point before a birth and shortly thereafter. So, you could make a plan for adoption AND one for parenting, and then make up your mind as you go, choosing either at any point up to or just after a birth.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Cup_Cake
Neophyte
Member # 97457

Yeah I think I would like to look into adoption. Would it cause a problem if I wanted to go through th adoption but the further didn't?

--------------------
Do the cupcake dance

Heather
Member # 3

Anymore, adoption is built that way with the understanding that birth mothers sometimes do and should be able to change their minds. For sure, that can be tough on adoptive families, but really, they're not the most vulnerable person involved in an adoption, so that room left for birth mothers to change their minds is so, so important.

It sounds to me like it might be best for you to just talk to an agency or two now so you can have all the information you need to even just start considering this. That way, you have plenty of time, can work through some of your gut feelings about it without any misinformation about it, etc.

Does that sound good? If so, do you know where to go? If not, I'd be happy to help you find the right folks to talk with. But I'd say that a very good place to start online on top of working with us, is this site: http://http://www.positiveoptions.ie/

Their page on adoption is here: http://www.positiveoptions.ie/about_adoption/ It's very, very basic information, but a text to them could likely get you connected with the right agency to talk with, and you can be sure that organization won't connect you with anyone creepy.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Cup_Cake
Neophyte
Member # 97457

I read the little info bit on it and its not so black and white as I thought and it doesn't sound as scary. I'd like to maybe talk to a agency but I have no idea where to go.

--------------------
Do the cupcake dance

Heather
Member # 3

Okay. I don't know about you, but I feel like when making big decisions, it's really important I have all the information I can about my choices and that I'm sure that information is current and correct.

Want some help?

If so, mind giving me an idea of what area you're in?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Cup_Cake
Neophyte
Member # 97457

Yes please help would be greet. Currently I'm in limerick Ireland.

--------------------
Do the cupcake dance

Heather
Member # 3

Okay. let me do some poking around for you today and I'll come back with some options when I've got them. [Smile]

In the meantime, how are you doing in terms of emotional support with all of this?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Heather
Member # 3

Just to start with, by the by, here's the contact info for Health Services adoption services in Limerick: Adoption Service, HSE West, Parkbeg House, 2, Elm Drive, Caherdavin Lawn, Limerick

Tel: 061 206820 / 206841

What I'd suggest is simply calling them, and asking if you can meet with someone who can tell you all about your possible options as a birth parent when it comes to adoption.

[ 09-23-2012, 02:40 PM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Cup_Cake
Neophyte
Member # 97457

Oh thank you I'll call them first thing in the morning. I've told my sister what's been going on. I haven't really told any one else yet. I'm just trying to past all the stuff with my boyfriend it's not about him any more.

--------------------
Do the cupcake dance

Heather
Member # 3

You're handling two really hard things at once: a pregnancy and a breakup, one in the middle of a pregnancy no less, a pregnancy it sounds like you chose to sustain either with the understanding your boyfriend would stick around, or which you did only or mostly because he convinced you to.

That is tough, tough, tough stuff.

No one in that spot could also be expected to somehow process all of that at once, either.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Cup_Cake
Neophyte
Member # 97457

He's a total arse the baby wasn't planned and he knew at first I didn't want to go through with it and then wasn't sure. He said everything was going to work out. I trusted him now I'm the fool. He keeps bugging me as well he doesn't understand im sick leave me alone.

--------------------
Do the cupcake dance

Heather
Member # 3

Do you need help setting firm limits when it comes to having him out of your life (which is appears he elected to leave in the first place)?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Cup_Cake
Neophyte
Member # 97457

I don't even know how to set limits when it comes to him. So yes please help would be good

--------------------
Do the cupcake dance

Heather
Member # 3

Starting with the painfully obvious: "Don't call me or otherwise contact me anymore." Have you tried that?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Cup_Cake
Neophyte
Member # 97457

I have tried that he just tells me not to be cray he still wants to know what's going on with the baby.

--------------------
Do the cupcake dance

Heather
Member # 3

So, he doesn't get to have that information anymore, and you get to hold him to that.

And since he's opted out the way that he has, I'd strongly suggest that you do hold him to that.

If telling him not to contact you has not worked, how about not answering the phone or changing your number?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Cup_Cake
Neophyte
Member # 97457

I am gonna hold him to it ha. I think I might change my number. I have really bad sickness at the minute so I don't really want to leave the house. I'll just go about ignoring him.

--------------------
Do the cupcake dance

Heather
Member # 3

Yep. If you hold your own lines, there's not much room for him to try and stampede past them.

And, of course, if he continues to cross them when you make them very clear, you do have legal options to compel him to leave you alone.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Heather
Member # 3

Also, if he's coming to your house? Do you live alone? If you don't, then you can make sure everyone you live with understands that they are all to clearly ask him to leave and not come back.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Cup_Cake
Neophyte
Member # 97457

He came to th house today and yeah I live alone. But my neighbour told him to leave. Which was helpful

--------------------
Do the cupcake dance

Heather
Member # 3

Great on your neighbor. Maybe give them a special thank you, and give that neighbor and any others you know the heads-up that you have asked him to leave you alone?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Cup_Cake
Neophyte
Member # 97457

I will thank my neighbour I was really thankful. I've only got a couple of neighbours who will help out but the ones who will I'll tell them. I am so pissed st him ha.

--------------------
Do the cupcake dance

Heather
Member # 3

No ha about it: you have every right to be very angry and hurt.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Heather
Member # 3

By the by, just in case, I'd document, as much as you can -- emails, calls, etc. -- his opting OUT of being part of this with you, the whole history of this.

That's just so you have it in the case you have to deal with any custody issues later or objections on his part to adoption, should you choose that route.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Cup_Cake
Neophyte
Member # 97457

Feel really stupid for trusting him and stuff, I've kept all the call history and texts my neighbour had already said about keeping them. To show the police if he keeps bothering me

--------------------
Do the cupcake dance

Heather
Member # 3

Good job.

You know, I don't think there's anything stupid about situations like this. I'm going to assume you thought this person was someone you could trust for a reason, and it also sounds like they certainly gave you that impression.

Alas, so much in life is "Well, now I know for next time." Often enough, we all learn things the hard way.

So, you might have some "for next times" here, like maybe always using two methods of birth control, including condoms, leading your reproductive choices with what you want and know is right for you, not with what someone else wants, maybe taking things slower, who knows. But I'm sure none of this is about you being stupid, even if some of it is about knowing now things you didn't know or think about before.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Cup_Cake
Neophyte
Member # 97457

I was with him for four years there was no reason why I wouldn't trust him, it's sad. I will definitely learn for next time.

--------------------
Do the cupcake dance

Heather
Member # 3

See? Not stupid.

We can be as smart as we want to be, but that doesn't control other people, nor can it assure people will treat us well.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.