Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » Not so much a "scare", just a question :S

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Not so much a "scare", just a question :S
ParaPetunia
Neophyte
Member # 95078

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ParaPetunia         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know I've posted here before sounding all panicky and things, and I'm getting better, honestly, I worry a lot less about the REALLY low-risk activities now [Smile] I was just wondering if you knew anything about whether sperm can remain ON the penis after ejaculation. The incident that made me ask this was a couple of days ago - my boyfriend ejaculated (after manual sex) and went to clean himself up, I washed my hands thoroughly with soap, etc etc. It was all okay, and I wasn't at all worried. He came back and we started talking about this lump he's having a scan for next week, on one of his testicles. I was worried about it and he asked if I wanted to feel how small the lump was to stop me worrying (I know you don't need to know this bit, just difficult to explain otherwise) so I did, which obviously meant I had to touch his genitals. Now, I'm always really careful if we've done anything actually SEXUAL, but we hadn't, so when I went to the loo quite soon afterwards, I forgot to wash my hands beforehand. I'm pretty sure there's no risk here, I hope :S but just for future reference, if I were to have, oh, I don't know, masturbated furiously IMMEDIATELY afterwards, how much of a risk would there have been? It would just be useful to know if there is any risk from very small amounts of remaining sperm on a penis that is not erect. Sorry, this post is long, but I guess it's a pretty specific question [Smile] but hey! Look! I'm being calm! I hope I haven't jinxed it by NOT worrying :S Thanks for your time. Sorry [Smile] x
Posts: 32 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Smile] There is no risk from what you describe. Once semen dries on a penis (or anywhere else) the sperm are inactive--dead really. They can't get transferred to any other surface and become active/alive again.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ParaPetunia
Neophyte
Member # 95078

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ParaPetunia         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So (sorry, not disputing what you said or panicking, just interested in the biology of this) even if they were to become wet again through moisture in the vagina, or water of something, they couldn't cause a pregnancy? Does it actually have to be semen that allows them to move or does any liquid perform the same job? Sorry, just want to be as well-informed as I can [Smile]
Posts: 32 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, other liquid doesn't make sperm come back to life. For pregnancy to possibly occur, there needs to be freshly ejaculated semen involved.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ParaPetunia
Neophyte
Member # 95078

Just another fairly unrelated question: if a girl were to have had a pregnancy risk (which I'm pretty sure I haven't, but just trying to find ways to ease my mind a bit) and got her period THE DAY AFTER, would it still be possible for her to be pregnant, given that implantation occurs a few days later? And if she were to become pregnant in this case, would her period continue after implantation or would it stop?
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

It's not impossible for implantation to occur in that situation, but it doesn't happen all the time either. And...considering that implantation generally takes a week or a little more, the period would already have finished anyway.

In this sort of scenario, it's more practical to figure out whether there was actually a risk in the first place. [Smile]

--------------------
Robin

ParaPetunia
Neophyte
Member # 95078

Well, I'm fairly sure there wasn't. I'm not having vaginal, anal or oral intercourse, and when we have manual sex we always wash our hands and nobody ejaculates on anyone. I'm just freaking out because I let him see me naked and masturbate, and although he was an arm's length away and had boxers on, the whole thing freaked me a bit, which I told him, and he's fine, but I think my worries about pregnancy are just because I realised I was uncomfortable with it afterwards. There's no risk there, right? If semen had "jumped" or whatever, I would have felt it, wouldn't I?
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, semen doesn't "jump" like that to start with, so again, there's no risk here.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5728 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ParaPetunia
Neophyte
Member # 95078

Sorry, I meant if it had...um...been ejaculated...forcefully, shall we say [Smile]
ParaPetunia
Neophyte
Member # 95078

Quick question about sperm and clothing? Is that okay? I'm not freaking out or anything, again, I'm just curious: could sperm penetrate through ONE layer of clothing? I know there's no risk when you're fully clothed, but if the "dampness" is kind of...visible, does that mean sperm could have got through? Sorry, I've just heard several different opinions on this, all from relatively trusted sources, and just wanted to be sure [Smile] x
Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Onionpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey ParaPetunia. Unless it was a very thin fabric -- like lace -- then one layer of clothing would typically prevent any kind of pregnancy risk. Sperm need quite a lot of semen to be able to help create a pregnancy, so I'd say a bit of dampness wouldn't be enough.
Posts: 1298 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.