Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » Manual Sex Question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Manual Sex Question
Kathryn2425
Activist
Member # 107882

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Kathryn2425     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi! I've been reading a lot of these posts with people asking if you can get pregnant from manual sex, I am one of the people posting some of these questions. The thing I'm unclear on is how u can't get pregnant from it, why is it not possible? Another thing too is that I think it would be absolutely fantastic if you could write a column just on manual sex and what situations in manual sex do and don't pose risks since so many people are asking questions about it. Thanks for your time!
Posts: 118 | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Kathryn2425,

Pregnancy can't happen through manual sex because that's not the way reproduction works. To read about how reproduction does work, take a look at this article:

Where DID I Come From? A Refresher Course in Human Reproduction

Also, we do have many columns on our site already about manual sex. You can find those by going to www.scarleteen.com and searching with terms like manual sex, fingering, and the like.

Those articles and columns also talk about what risks manual sex does and doesn't pose.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathryn2425
Activist
Member # 107882

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kathryn2425     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes I have read through all of your panels about manual sex in this website but I feel like there are so many different situations with manual sex, do all of these circumstances not present a risk of pregnancy?
Posts: 118 | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carpe Diem
Activist
Member # 47124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carpe Diem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only way a pregnancy risk could occur with manual sex is if somebody had a significant amount of fresh ejaculate in their hand (eg. someone just ejaculated in their hand) and then immediately applied that handful to a vulva.

--------------------
"Find a place inside where there's joy, and the joy will burn out the pain."
-Joseph Campbell

Posts: 210 | From: Canada | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Earnestly, the only time this may pose a real pregnancy risk is if and when someone is ejaculating into their hand, then immediately takes that handful of ejaculate and rubs it all over someone's vulva.

In which case, we're really not even talking about manual sex so much as talking about direct fluid sharing.

As you may of read in the many articles, columns and posts we have about why it's not possible, in a word, it's not because pregnancy is about much more than just sperm cells, and even about much more than just sperm cells and an ovum. It is also about how viable those sperm cells are -- and being rubbed around on hands can easily break their fragile tails, as well as expose them to a host of oils and acids that aren't the right pH environment for them. It is also about sperm cells being able to move to the fallopian tubes unimpeded, which means being with the semen they're ejaculated with, and those fluids being deposited right where they need to go (directly into or right on the vulva or vagina). That includes the vaginal and cervical environment also being in the right phase of the cycle and an ovum even being available, which it only usually is a few days out of every month. And all of that stuff (and there's more, too) only gets us to the part where sperm cells can GET to an ovum: whether or not it is fertilized, then whether or not it divides properly, then whether or not it implants in the uterus are a whole bunch of other variables.

So, you can perhaps see why, even with intercourse, people often won't get pregnant anything close to every time they engage in it. Mind, in one year of unprotected intercourse 80-90% of people will become pregnant, but even that is in a whole YEAR.

Pregnancy is complex and requires very, very specific factors to happen. Manual sex will never present any issue most of the time, since most of the time, no one is engaging in manual sex with ejaculate on their hands. But even in that case? Even then, it's still mighty unlikely.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67055 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathryn2425
Activist
Member # 107882

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kathryn2425     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks so much for clearing that all up for me! I really appreciate it!
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You got it. [Smile]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67055 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.