Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » Accuracy of different pregnancy tests?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Accuracy of different pregnancy tests?
The Raven
Neophyte
Member # 96424

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recently started seeing someone, and this is the first time I've been with a man. There have been two separate incidents where, even though we tried to prevent a pregnancy from happening, we definitely weren't as safe as we could have or should have been. The problem is that I'm unemployed right now (although hopefully not for much longer) and couldn't afford to get Plan B in time. I think I should have had my period by now, but I also think it's too early to take a home pregnancy test. If I don't get my period in the next few weeks, I'm planning to take a test. But if I haven't found a new job by then, I don't know how much money I'll be able to spend on a pregnancy test. So my question is this: is there a difference in accuracy between cheaper generic tests, like the ones they sell at the dollar store near me, and name-brand tests? Should I spend the extra money for something like EPT or will any home test be just as accurate?
Posts: 2 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
copper86
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95710

Icon 1 posted      Profile for copper86     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have heard many different sources here at Scarleteen - the volunteers and the staff - to state that dollar store tests are just as accurate as the tests sold in pharmacies. I know there's a difference in price; but both types are very accurate. As long as you follow the instructions on the box, you should get an accurate result.

I understand how you feel about being unemployed. I myself am unemployed as well, and work is very hard to find where I live; so I definitely commiserate with you on the job front. I hope you find something soon! I'm not sure about what online job sites are like in the States, but Canada has some good job-finding sites, like Monster.ca and Jobmine. I'm sure that the US has their own set of great online employment sites, too!

I hope you are doing well, and try not to stress out about anything too much. I know that's easier said than done; but try your best to take care of yourself first and to give yourself room and space to breathe. [Smile]

--------------------
"I do the best that I can. I'm just what I am." - Rush (Best I Can)

Posts: 692 | From: Canada | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Raven
Neophyte
Member # 96424

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks [Smile] Yeah, we have monster.com and stuff like that here too, but I've mostly just been driving around the local area looking for places that are hiring. I actually have a job interview on Monday, so hopefully that works out and I won't have to worry about money so much anymore. But it's good to know that if things don't work out right away and I need to take a pregnancy test, I won't necessarily have to spend a lot of money.
Posts: 2 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
copper86
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95710

Icon 1 posted      Profile for copper86     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're welcome! That's great that those online job sites are available for you! What I've found that's happening here is that, come September, more jobs will be available since students will be going back to school. Good luck with your job interview, I'm sure you'll do well!

--------------------
"I do the best that I can. I'm just what I am." - Rush (Best I Can)

Posts: 692 | From: Canada | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WesLuck
Activist
Member # 56822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WesLuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
-hugs for The Raven!- [Smile]
Posts: 540 | From: Australia | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.