Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » About the sperm.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: About the sperm.
Michael24
Neophyte
Member # 96363

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael24     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello,

I'm a bit paranoid right now and I need to talk to someone who is very knowledgeable...

How long does it take for sperm to die outside the the body. Like on your hands.?

Thank you

Posts: 3 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
angie88
Neophyte
Member # 96244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for angie88         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello,

I'm just a neophyte like you, but here's something from an article by Heather Corinna, the founder of Scarleteen, so a highly knowledgeable person: [Smile]

"Overall, the MOST likely way to become pregnant is by direct vulval or vaginal contact with sperm. Sperm can live up to about 20 minutes in an environment that is unfriendly to them (in other words, outside the testicles, vagina or in lab conditions), but they are very delicate creatures in the great outdoors."

From this article:

Where DID I Come From? A Refresher Course in Human Reproduction

Hope it helps with the panic...If you have other questions or worries, more seasoned users can answer to you as well. [Wink]

Posts: 29 | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrightStar171
Peer Ambassador
Member # 64549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrightStar171     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a bit of a trick question, because it's not exactly the relevant one. See, sperm can live for a while (about 20 minutes as above) outside the body, but even if they're still "alive," they can't create a pregnancy unless they have semen (and a fair amount of wet semen, at that) to move through. So, while sperm could perhaps technically still be "alive," they would not be viable on your hands unless you literally had dripping gobs of semen on your hands. If semen on your hands was dry, or not enough to see, or really anything other than a situation where you took a handful of wet semen and applied it directly to a vulva, there's absolutely no risk that the sperm were viable or able to create a pregnancy.
Posts: 100 | From: Virginia, USA | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael24
Neophyte
Member # 96363

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael24     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you soo much for the replies! I'm feeling a lot better already. But I do still have a question. What if the sperm was applied inside the vagina? Would it be the same effect because it would probably be too dry for the semen to move?
Posts: 3 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
angie88
Neophyte
Member # 96244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for angie88         Edit/Delete Post 
I put a new link to Heather's article - the first one doesn't work [Razz]

Where DID I Come From? A Refresher Course in Human Reproduction

From what she says there, it seems that if the semen on your hands was already dry at the time it entered the vagina, a pregnancy is unlikely...
BrightStar, what do you think? I'd like to know the answer too [Smile]

Posts: 29 | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrightStar171
Peer Ambassador
Member # 64549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrightStar171     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I don't know the entire mechanism of how it works, but sperm can't just move around in any liquid; they need semen. Even if you had dried semen on your hands (or whatever) and applied it inside a vagina, it wouldn't be able to create a pregnancy.
Posts: 100 | From: Virginia, USA | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael24
Neophyte
Member # 96363

Thank you guys so much

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.