Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » Can you get pregnant while still using a condom?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Can you get pregnant while still using a condom?
mspearfruit
Neophyte
Member # 96327

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mspearfruit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen stories on the Internet about people who claim to still have gotten pregnant while properly using a condom. I also saw one woman write that she got pregnant while using a condom AND birth control and it really, really scares me. I don't want to take birth control because I'd rather leave my hormones alone if I can, but I'm worried that using just a condom may not be enough to prevent pregnancy.

Is it really possible to get pregnant if you have used a condom properly? I can't figure out if these women are telling the truth or if they're just trying to scare paranoid girls like me.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrightStar171
Peer Ambassador
Member # 64549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrightStar171     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You cannot get pregnant if you have used a condom properly and the condom has not failed in some way. I mean, simply by definition, if a condom is used properly and has no leaks or breakage, and didn't slip off, and doesn't spill when it's removed, there is no way that semen could enter the vagina.

That said, if you're planning on having sex just using condoms, you should be aware that condom failures can happen even if you do everything right- as in, you can put it on properly, and use enough lube, and store your condoms properly, and so forth, and theoretically, you could still have a condom break during sex. It would be much less likely, but it could still happen.

And really, you shouldn't give too much thought to random people on the internet. First of all, it;s very easy for people to say what they want whether it's true or not, but it's also important to remember that it's easy for someone to say they used a method of birth control "properly," but if the method they learned as "proper" isn't actually, then you can't really use that story as a data point. And there's just no way to know if someone out there on the internet actually had some sort of decent sex education or not.

Posts: 100 | From: Virginia, USA | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
copper86
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95710

Icon 1 posted      Profile for copper86     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
BrightStar171's absolutely correct in the above post. There is an article on Scareleteen about "The Buddy System," where it shows effectiveness ratings for one method of birth control alone (like condoms) and then the combined effectiveness ratings of two methods, like condoms and withdrawal. That is a very useful article to read; especially because it gives statistics on effectiveness.

Condoms are highly effective methods of birth control, but if you feel at all nervous about just using condoms, you can back them up with another method. There's another article here called "Birth Control Bingo!" that walks you through the process of choosing birth control options that are right for you and your body.

I hope you're feeling better, and that you have a good day! I myself have been spooked from those types of stories online, but you should really take those "tales" with a grain of salt. That is why, if I have a question, I always come here and try to avoid Google. The volunteers and staff here are very knowledgeable about sex education and are always nonjudgmental and understanding. [Smile]

--------------------
"I do the best that I can. I'm just what I am." - Rush (Best I Can)

Posts: 692 | From: Canada | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WesLuck
Activist
Member # 56822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WesLuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And so are most of the site visitors too, including the wonderfully caring Peer Ambassadors! [Smile]
Posts: 540 | From: Australia | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.