Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » The mini pill after baby?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The mini pill after baby?
natureamor
Neophyte
Member # 96219

Icon 1 posted      Profile for natureamor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm currently pregnant right now but, one thing my boyfriend and I have decided on is that we DON'T want another baby for a while while I'm still going to school and he's working full time. I got pregnant on condoms actually protecting myself and unfortunately, it didn't work out as planned. Going farther in my education is what I want the most right now for me and the baby.. so I was wondering if the mini pill is a good option while I'm breast feeding afterwards? P.S. I know many birth controls have side effects but, is it bad enough not to consume at all.
Posts: 3 | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many OBs will suggest the mini-pill for breastfeeding moms because it is the least likely to impact your milk supply. So yes, it can be a good option. You'll want to talk with your care provider about your specific health conditions and what might be the best option for you.

That said, some women do find that any hormonal option decreases their milk supply. Because both processes are heavily influenced by your hormones, it can be hard to predict exactly what is going to happen. Also, there are other "home remedies" that can help increase milk production for some women if this does happen.

The short answer is that the only thing you can do is try. There's no guarantee it will or will not have an impact on your breastfeeding relationship. You do want to be aware that with the mini pill, you need to be really good about taking it exactly correctly. There is less room for error than with combination pills. Many care providers will advise you that you should either call or come back for an appointment if you stop breastfeeding and be switched to a combination pill.

--------------------
Sarah Liz

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
natureamor
Neophyte
Member # 96219

Icon 1 posted      Profile for natureamor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, I've been doing my research lately before my EDD is here and I've seen a good non hormonal method would be the Paragard IUD. Is there any information you can give me on that? or any links?
Posts: 3 | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eryn_smiles
Peer Ambassador
Member # 35643

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eryn_smiles         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi natureamor,
This is a good link to start with:
http://www.scarleteen.com/birth_control_bingo_intrauterine_devices_iud

--------------------
"Caring for myself is not self-indulgence, it is self-preservation and that is an act of political warfare."

Audre Lorde

Posts: 1326 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.