Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » Risks

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Risks
TheMan60
Neophyte
Member # 95030

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheMan60     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Recently my girlfriend and I decided to give anal sex a shot. I wore a condom of course, however, for some reason, sperm appeared to leak through the sides of the condom and after checking her out it looked as if there was some of my fluid on her vagina, not technically near her vaginal opening, but some was sitting on her hairs towards the middle of area.

We immediately within the next hour purchased Plan B from our local pharmacy and took it. We took it in the hour and the pharmacist notified us that it has a 72-hour window of effectiveness so she went ahead and took it immediately after.

Is there any cause for alarm here? I believe (even though sometimes its hard to tell) she has already ovulated since she will be due for her period this week. So, technically speaking it appears shes out of her fertility window, even though a woman is able to concieve at any given time.

Thanks.

Posts: 9 | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Plan B is known to reduce the incidence of pregnancy by 75%-99% based on the method used and how quickly it was used. Your girlfriend took it within t the first 24 hours, which is the most effective time.

When you say that semen leaked through the sides, do you mean actually through the condom or out from the base? When condoms break, it's generally very noticeable, as in tearing or shredding. Could the fluid you saw have been her vaginal secretions or lubricant from outside of the condom?

It sounds like the two of you acted right away, so now it is a matter of waiting. [Smile]

As to fertility windows, thinking about the most likely times a woman can get pregnant is more helpful when she's trying to get pregnant than when she's actively trying *not* to get pregnant. IN other words, since a woman (the younger she is the more true this is) can, based on her own individual chemistry, potentially be fertile at any time of her cycle, if she's trying not to get pregnant worrying about ovulation times isn't particularly helpful. And actually, the most fertile time isn't just when a woman ovulates but also during the time between ovulation and menstruation. Again, though, this isn't the most useful information for people who are trying not to be pregnant.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheMan60
Neophyte
Member # 95030

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheMan60     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the hasty response. There appears to be sticky fluids around the base of my penis, so no, the condom did not break, as it appeared to come out of the base instead.

Since ovulation may have already occured, would that technically render Plan B useless?

The fluids that were found on her appeared to look like semen.

[ 05-27-2012, 11:44 AM: Message edited by: TheMan60 ]

Posts: 9 | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are a few diferent ways that Plan B works, so no, it's not necesarily true that Plan B wouldn't be effective in your girlfriend's situation.

You can read more here about how Plan B works.

Emergency Contraception (Plan B or the Morning-After-Pill)

Sticky fluids around the base of your penis can be a few things, including sweat from the friction of intercourse and your partner's vaginal secretions.

You responded effectively to a suspected pregnancy risk. [Smile]

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheMan60
Neophyte
Member # 95030

Just an update to those who may have a similar situation to mine:

Yesterday she began to experience her typical PMS symptoms (sore breasts, etc). She has always experienced these 2-4 days before the start of her period, so it definitely seems like a good sign.

Plan B has yet to have given her any side effects.

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Know, too, that while your girlfriend is having her usual premenstrual symptoms Plan B does have an effect on menstrual cycles for a couple of months after taking it, so it's possible her period will be delayed. Just wanted to give you a heads-up. [Smile]

--------------------
Robin

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.