Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » Is my gf pregnant?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Is my gf pregnant?
Pats_fan_75
Neophyte
Member # 95949

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pats_fan_75     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just wondering what you think. She is 3 almost 4 days late; however, she has in the past been up to 2 weeks late and she just graduated. She says she has gained some weight...not sure if that affects anything and she started on the pill this month. We have used a condom everytime and they all appear to have held up alright. So what do you think?
Posts: 6 | From: Boston | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HI Pats_fan_75 and welcome to Scarleteen.

Well, the only way to really know if someone is pregnant or not is for them to take a pregnancy test. A pregnancy test is accurate when taken 14 or more days after the last sexual activity or any time a period is late.

You say that your girlfriend just started taking the birth control pill? When did she start it? Her periods won't come at the same time she's used to them coming while she's on the pill. What is called a withdrawal bleed will come the last week of her pill cycle, when she is either not taking pills or is taking placebo (nonactive) pills, depending on which brand she takes.

So, it would be helpful to know when she started taking her pills.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When people start a hormonal BC method, it often takes a while for their bodies to get used to it, and changes in periods/withdrawal bleeds are a common issue.

So, chances are, if you use condoms properly and haven't had any known failures, this is about her just starting the pill. But it also sounds like irregular periods have been her normal, so there's that, too.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pats_fan_75
Neophyte
Member # 95949

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pats_fan_75     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
She started back on the pill right after her last period which would have been about the 8th ish. She started on the night of the 5th. I don't know if this will be helpful lol I'm not any good with this girl stuff and we are probably overreacting but we are nervous.
Posts: 6 | From: Boston | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And she usually gets her periods about how often? In other words, her cycles, from day one of one period to day one of the next period, are usually how many days long?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pats_fan_75
Neophyte
Member # 95949

When she isnt on the pill she says it's kinda all over the place but she says when she's on the pill she is about like clockwork.
Pats_fan_75
Neophyte
Member # 95949

Exactly 30 days lol when on the pill in the past.
Heather
Member # 3

Right, but probably not right from the start: it probably took a couple packs. Even if it didn't it's more typical for it to take a couple packs, especially if when someone is off the pill, they're very irregular.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Pats_fan_75
Neophyte
Member # 95949

So in your opinion, it's too early to worry and if so when is panic time
Heather
Member # 3

Well, since you have been using condoms properly -- used for ALL genital contact, from start to finish, etc. -- and she started the pill again, pregnancy is profoundly unlikely.

But, if another couple of weeks into her new pack rolls around and she still hasn't even had any spotting, then she might want to test just in case, or to have an answer so she -- and you -- can chill out.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Pats_fan_75
Neophyte
Member # 95949

I want to thank you. That makes me feel a lot better. I have been losing sleep and everything. I appericate this thank you [Smile]
Heather
Member # 3

No problem. [Smile]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.