Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » Not really pertaining to pregnancy but....

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Not really pertaining to pregnancy but....
karilimeade
Neophyte
Member # 84606

Icon 5 posted      Profile for karilimeade     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was wondering, when taking the pill can a period get consistently lighter? When I first started taking the pill I had a shorter period but it was still a regular flow for me. And then eventually I noticed it was a tad lighter. Now I have been taking it for eight months now and it's a lot lighter. Like I have to leave a tampon in for the full 6 to 8 hours and sometimes it's still not full.

My period was supposed to start yesterday. Usually it starts in the morning but nothing happened so i took a hpt and it was negative. around 5 in the after noon I started cramping and there was some blood. Then I was still kinda iffy because it was soo light. I waited five hours to use the bathroom and took another test that was also negative. So is it Ohkay that my period is getting reallly light.

Posts: 20 | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Withdrawal bleeds that are lighter and shorter than menstrual periods is a very common side effect of combined hormonal contraceptives.

Not everyone has that side effect, but a whole lot of people do.

Just FYI with tampons, you're really supposed to change them more often than 8 hours, and not only change them when they're full. Changing them often (every few hours, ideally) is the ticket to avoiding TSS. It's fairly rare now, but still, it's serious, one wants to avoid it, and leaving tampons in for a long time is the biggest reason why it happens.

OTOH, menstrual cups can safely be left in that long, so they might be worth considering for you now.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67207 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karilimeade
Neophyte
Member # 84606

Icon 1 posted      Profile for karilimeade     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ohkay well good to know thank you [Smile]
Posts: 20 | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
moonlight bouncing off water
Peer Ambassador
Member # 44338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for moonlight bouncing off water     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also, you can use a lighter absorbancy so that you're able to change the tampon more frequently.

--------------------
~moonlight

I am ME and that is the only label I need.

Posts: 860 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(Well, you can change any absorbency of tampon as often as you want. It's not like a higher absorbency makes it so you can't.)

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67207 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.