Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » What are the chances....

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What are the chances....
karilimeade
Neophyte
Member # 84606

Icon 5 posted      Profile for karilimeade     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What are the chances of getting pregnant if I take my birth control every day at the same time and when I have intercourse I make my boyfriend pull out? Also when he pulls out I ask him to pull out early and finish himself. Normally we also use condoms but we ran out. Also I think he might have a low sperm count. When he finishes there really isn't a lot. Not that I can get pregnant because of that but I know that people trying that have low sperm count usually have a hard time trying to conceive when they are trying.
Posts: 21 | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, you can take a look at mathematical effectiveness rates for combining those methods here: The Buddy System: Effectiveness Rates for Backing Up Your Birth Control With a Second Method

When you do, you'll see that the effectiveness rates for the birth control pill combined with withdrawal are: Combination OCP + Withdrawal = 99.98% effective with perfect use and 97.84% effective with typical use.

Low sperm count isn't something to consider, and a smaller amount of ejaculate also doesn't indicate that, anyway. Just bear in mind, though, that STIs are also a risk with intercourse -- statistically, a bigger risk than pregnancy -- so if you want to prevent those, you'll want to make sure to keep using condoms and stay stocked up.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karilimeade
Neophyte
Member # 84606

Icon 1 posted      Profile for karilimeade     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So it's pretty Ohkay to say I'm not pregnant. I know that the only way to be completely sure I won't get pregnant is to stop having sex. But if choose not to stop having sex then I have to stop questioning my birth control. I have done all the reading I possibly can on it. And still every time the week of my cycle comes I get really anxious. I start freaking out a week before its even supposed to start.
Posts: 21 | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd say it is, yes.

What do you think about considering more effective methods of contraception? For instance, even though the pill and withdrawal offer you a very, very high level of effectiveness in both perfect (especially perfect) and typical use, using more effective and more foolproof methods combined -- like say, an IUD or implant and condoms -- get you about as close to a zero risk as it gets.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karilimeade
Neophyte
Member # 84606

Icon 1 posted      Profile for karilimeade     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have thought about it. But recently my sister in law and her sister as week both got pregnant and they had mirena. My sister in law had no problems but her sister had and ectopic pregnancy. I know there are other options besides mirena. I'm just not very sure about it yet.
Heather
Member # 3

Pregnancy while using an IUD is incredibly rare: almost as rare as being hit by lightening, honestly. By any chance, did they both use the same healthcare provider for their insertions? (And were they both tested for pregnancy before their insertions, and did they both make sure to replace their IUDs on schedule?) I ask because an error with insertion is the way they tend to fail when they do, and after that, not replacing them on time comes in next. Obviously, being pregnant already when an IUD is inserted is an issue, and that happens sometimes, too, even though the protocol is to test before insertion.

And yep, there are other options besides an IUD, and pregnancy IS more likely with a method like the pill than an IUD (and ectopic pregnancy also is a risk). So, I'd not base your choices on their outcomes, if you follow me.

I mean, as someone who has worked in this field, I've encountered a ton of people who have had failures with every single method -- since none are 100%, that's always going to happen sometimes -- so it's important to bear in mind that we hear about more failures than successes, and the studies bear out the effectiveness rates in a far sounder way than anecdotal experiences do.

[ 05-12-2012, 10:53 AM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

karilimeade
Neophyte
Member # 84606

Well, I will definitely keep it in mind. Next time I speak with my doctor I will ask her about it. Thanks for the information.
Heather
Member # 3

Sure thing. Happy to talk with you about any method you want to talk about or need information on, too.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.