Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » Home Pregnancy Test

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Home Pregnancy Test
Mustard
Neophyte
Member # 55291

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Mustard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm expecting my period to start today, but it hasn't started. It has been longer or shorter, but my average cycle length means it should start today.

I felt nausea this week. Today, I had vomiting and diarrhea. I felt better after. I also had some acid reflux this week, and I have been more tired than usual.

We use condoms, but we usually have some unprotected intercourse before he puts on the condom. I know we shouldn't do this, but I like doing it. He has never ejaculated inside me.

How long should I wait to take a home pregnancy test? Are there things I should do before taking the test, in case I am pregant? Such as, not drinking, taking multi-vitamin?

Posts: 36 | From: Canada | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A pregnancy test will be accurate two weeks after a potential risk, or the first day of a missed period. So if your period doesn't start within the next couple of days, you can go ahead and test.

If you think that with a pregnancy - if you are pregnant - you'd want to remain pregnant and either parent or arrange adoption, then not drinking is a good idea. Multi-vitamins aren't harmful at all, so you can keep taking those.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5758 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mustard
Neophyte
Member # 55291

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mustard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you!

I will wait a couple of days to see if it starts. The shortest has been 29 days and the longest has been 39 days, and the average is 33 days. It has been 33 days so far as of today.

If I was pregnant, I would probably want to remain pregnant. Is there anything else that I should do or not do while I wait to find out? I won't drink and I will take my multi-vitamin. Anything else?

Posts: 36 | From: Canada | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
moonlight bouncing off water
Peer Ambassador
Member # 44338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for moonlight bouncing off water     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you're a smoker it would also be important to not smoke until such a time as you knew whether or not you're pregnant.

--------------------
~moonlight

I am ME and that is the only label I need.

Posts: 863 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mustard
Neophyte
Member # 55291

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mustard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can we talk more about my possible risk? I'm feeling worried because my period hasn't started yet and it's been 36 days. Also, I've had a few things that could be symptoms - nausea mentioned already, and my breasts feeling heavier. At the same time, I dont want to take a test yet because my cycle is irregular and has been as long as 39 days.

I'm worried!

Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You said above that you and your partner have unprotected intercourse before you use the condom. Any time there is contact between a bare penis and a bare vulva there is a risk of pregnancy occurring.

When was the last tie you and your boyfriend had intercourse?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Saffron Raymie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 49582

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saffron Raymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's way too early for pregnancy symptoms; they just don't show up that fast.

If I can just ask a couple of questions to help myself get a clearer picture on this: when you have intercourse without a condom, does he pull out way before he ejaculates?

Also, how long has it been since you last had any penis-to-vulva contact?

--------------------
'Obtain the virgin's consent before you marry her' - Prophet Mohammad (pbuh)

Posts: 1285 | From: England | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mustard
Neophyte
Member # 55291

The most recent time we had intercourse was about 8 days ago. We also had intercourse other times since my last period.

Usually when he pulls out, he pulls out way before ejaculation. Then he puts on a condom and we continue intercourse until he ejaculates in the condom. There was one time when it was closer than usual. That time I would say that he ejaculated within about 1 minute from when he pulled out. I think that was about 16 days ago. I forget exactly what day it was.

I can answer any other questions you may have.

I have read in some places that it would be too early for pregnancy symptoms. I guess I'm scared because I have also read that some women have symptoms as soon as a few days after implantation. I don't normally feel nauseas so it is unusual for me.

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It sounds like most of the time the two of you are practicing the withdrawal method with near-perfect use, which has been found to have a 96% success rate in preventing pregnancy.

We generally suggest taking a pregnancy test about 14 days after a risk. Since the time that your boyfriend didn't pull out as soon was 16 days ago, you certainly could go ahead an take a test.

Also, re pregnancy symptoms and implantation, know that implantation doesn't happen until about a week after the sexual activity. Just an fyi. [Smile] And while some women do experience symptoms right away, in general most don't, which is why lots of folks don't know they're pregnant right away. Heavy breasts are also something a lot of folks experience before their period; is that common for you?

So, what do you think of taking a test now to see, especially since this is making you anxious. .

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mustard
Neophyte
Member # 55291

I do sometimes have heavy feeling breasts before my period. That is not unusual. The nausea is unusual. I feel mildly nauseas throughout the day for the past few days, including right now. I vomited on Friday.

I think I'd like to wait until the weekend to take a test if I don't get my period by then.

Mustard
Neophyte
Member # 55291

How likely do you think it is that im pregnant?
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Waiting until the weekend to test sounds just fine. [Smile]

There's really no way to calculate likelihood that you're pregnant. *gentle smile* You did use withdrawal and a condom.

--------------------
Robin

Mustard
Neophyte
Member # 55291

Thank you!
Mustard
Neophyte
Member # 55291

I'm having my period now, so there's no need for a test! Yay!

I still have some questions. I want to track my cycles, but I don't know what day this period started. Saturday was the first day that it was heavy enough to need a tampon. On Thursday, when I wiped once, there was a tiny spot of blood, smaller than the size of a penny. I only noticed it because I was looking for it. That happened only once on Thursday and once on Friday. My question is, did my period start on Thursday or Saturday?

I am also wanting to talk about other birth control options.

Mustard
Neophyte
Member # 55291

Should we move my last question to a different part of the forum? It is off topic from my first post.
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry your question was overlooked, Mustard.

Per your question about tracking your period, usually you'd call Day 1 the first day you had menstrual bleeding. I'd be inclined to say the first day you had red bleeding essentially.

Per your second question, have you been through the Birth Control Bingo! article yet? What types of birth control methods are you considering?

--------------------
Sarah Liz

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ES
Neophyte
Member # 95554

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ES     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To track your period, I'd suggest using mymonthlycycles.com

You just click the day you start and it takes it from there. It'll show you the length of all cycles, when you're fertile, and even lets you make notes. I used it for 8 months and it was AMAZING! You can use the free version (which I was using) or the subscription. If you're late, it tells you to test, which is one of the reasons I took a test! I had NO symptoms of the pregnancy. I had ulcers in my mouth, bleeding gums when I brushed/flossed and unusually light cramping for 6 days. I got a BFP!

Posts: 4 | From: California | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(Hey, ES? We appreciate your input, but it would be great if you could stick to threads that are currently active. This one is a month old, and the user's question has been answered. Thanks!)

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5758 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.