Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » Incredibly Unlikely...But Little Voices in My Head Driving Me Nuts!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Incredibly Unlikely...But Little Voices in My Head Driving Me Nuts!
Paranoid_12
Neophyte
Member # 95448

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paranoid_12     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
-So on January 29th, I had my normal period, which lasted 5 days.
-On February 11th, I fooled around with my boyfriend, but I had underwear, and he had boxers and gym shorts on, and we never humped. I just sort of laid on top of him. We didn't move, he didn't try to enter me, and he didn't ejaculate. There was probably some pre-ejaculate though.
-4 days later, February 15th, I got my period. It was heavy and lasted five days. It was also only 18 days since my last period, and I am usually on a cycle of about 24 days.
-All throughout late Feb. and March I took three HPTs, all of which came up negative.
-I haven't been feeling well ever since the 11th, and went to the ER twice for weird abdominal pains and fatigue and such. They did a pregnancy test, CBC, and urinalysis and everything was normal. That was the first visit, which was February 26th.
-I got another period which was heavy and lasted 5 days. So this one was only 19 days since my last period, again short.
-The second visit was March 6th, where they did a trans-vaginal ultrasound to look for anything that could be causing discomfort, and the results came back normal.
-I had bloodwork done on March 15th, and my progesterone level was at 1.07.
-I started another period four days ago (March 30th), so that would be 25 days since my last, a little more normal time frame. But it has been SO LIGHT. Usually I have very heavy periods with lots of clotting. This period I've only needed a pad some of the time and the blood is not very dark. There is also some mucus mixed with the blood when I wipe, and there is no fishy smell like there usually is on my periods.
-My stomach seems more bulgy than normal, I have gas and am burping.

I realize that all of this together pretty much means I'm not pregnant, but I am still paranoid and keep thinking that I'm pregnant and am just bleeding through or something. Assurances please?

Posts: 7 | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nothing you've described here sounds like a pregnancy risk. Plus, you've had several periods and several pregnancy tests that came out negative.

Sounds like you're having some irregular cycles that just happened to coincide with you fooling around with your boyfriend.

Do you have a regular doctor or gynecologist you can discuss all of your symptoms with?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paranoid_12
Neophyte
Member # 95448

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paranoid_12     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to the doctor tomorrow. My mom thinks I have lyme disease, and I was just diagnosed with hypothyroidism.

So there is absolutely no chance that I am? I just need to tell these little voices in my head to be quiet. And I've discussed this with my boyfriend, we're not going to get that intimate anymore because I've gotten so paranoid.

Posts: 7 | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paranoid_12
Neophyte
Member # 95448

I hate to be a bother, but there is absolutely no risk correct? I am SO paranoid. I've been having tightness in my pelvic area and muscles in my groin. I took another HPT two days ago which came up negative...and counting from my period before when my boyfriend and I messed around I'd be about 10 weeks now...so I feel like it would have to show up on a test. But I had more "periods" after all of that. However I've read things all over the internet about women having periods throughout their pregnancy (which makes no sense, but then why are they saying that if it isn't true?). Please, there is no one I can talk to about all this. I just need some reassurance. I keep coming close to convincing myself that I'm not, but then there's always a little voice that says "Well what if you are, and in a few weeks you'll get a surprise that you weren't prepared for?" Basically I'm afraid of convincing myself I'm not, and then finding out that I am. Please, please, help me.
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When you went to the doctor, did they find that you were pregnant? Too, did you discuss this with them as was suggested?

And you're right: at ten weeks, you'd have positive HPTs. And I feel the need to mention that random people on the internet say a lot of things, so searching for anecdotes and looking for any kind of credible information at places or from people whose reliability we can't verify just isn't sound.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just as a btw, hypothyroid can really create a lot of health issues, as well as quite a lot of symptoms that could make a person feel pregnant, or like some people suffer while pregnant: fatigue, depression, decreased libido, gastrointenstinal issues, weight gain, funky periods or cycles, etc.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paranoid_12
Neophyte
Member # 95448

I discussed with them my symptoms, and no they didn't do a test. I don't think they suspect pregnancy because my ultra sound was normal and the pregnancy test they did when I was in the ER was negative. I got a blood test for lyme though and the results should be in sometime this week.
My mom always comes with me to the doctor so I couldn't say anything about pregnancy.
Knowing that it would have to come up positive at ten weeks and that mine was negative is reassuring though. [Smile]
Thank you so much for everything you're doing. I was homeschooled and brought up without really any sexual education, and there is no way I could talk to either of my parents about any of this. This is a lifesaver!

Heather
Member # 3

If they didn't even run a test, but had done an ultrasound and a previous test, you can assume, safely I'd say, that's because they already knew you were not pregnant.

And I'm glad we can be of help when it comes to the gaps in your sexual education. By all means, if you've other questions you want to talk about, or want us to toss you some links to help with those gaps, just let us know.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Paranoid_12
Neophyte
Member # 95448

Thank you again! I guess I do have a few questions, mainly from my ventures on the internet, since I guess a lot of it may not be true.
-I know that to get pregnant the egg and sperm have to meet up, but is the only way for this to happen through intercourse? That is, I've read of people getting pregnant through their clothes (which is why I was concerned), or from ejaculate on someone's hand or something like that. Is that even possible?
-What is considered a normal range of color for cervical mucus? Is it okay if its slightly yellow sometimes, or just not white or clear?
-Can you bleed consistently every month throughout a pregnancy, as though it were a period?
-Is it true that if you feel something, whether it be aches or pains, in your pelvic area that it can only be your uterus and your ovaries that you are feeling, or if you have other problems like intestinal or bladder can you feel those down there too?

Paranoid_12
Neophyte
Member # 95448

Oh, and I also saw a lot about "popping her cherry." What does that even mean?
Heather
Member # 3

It's just a euphemism some people have used to mean that first time of having sex, or the first time of anything. It comes from -- and gets spread around still -- the false idea that the hymen or something else "pops" with first intercourse.

In reality, there is no popping, nor any cherries.

quote:
-I know that to get pregnant the egg and sperm have to meet up, but is the only way for this to happen through intercourse? That is, I've read of people getting pregnant through their clothes (which is why I was concerned), or from ejaculate on someone's hand or something like that. Is that even possible?
Direct genital-to-genital contact where one person has a penis and the other a vulva or direct contact of seminal fluid to the genitals of someone with a vulva is how pregnancy most often occurs.

This piece should fill you in: Where DID I Come From? A Refresher Course in Human Reproduction

This one is a good additional help if that one doesn't get you sorted: Pregnancy Scared?

quote:
-What is considered a normal range of color for cervical mucus? Is it okay if its slightly yellow sometimes, or just not white or clear?
Here's a piece that fills you in on all of that: Honorably Discharged: A Guide to Vaginal Secretions

quote:
-Can you bleed consistently every month throughout a pregnancy, as though it were a period?
Some pregnant people experience vaginal bleeding -- for various reasons -- while pregnant. But that bleeding looking and feeling like, and happening on the exact schedule, of a period is not at all likely or common.

quote:
-Is it true that if you feel something, whether it be aches or pains, in your pelvic area that it can only be your uterus and your ovaries that you are feeling, or if you have other problems like intestinal or bladder can you feel those down there too?
Nope. Our internal organs are awfully close together, and it can often be tough to figure out which one is bothering us when one is. As we get older, we might become more familiar with aches and pains of various areas and organs which can make sorting those feelings out easier, but sometimes it's still very hard to tell.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Paranoid_12
Neophyte
Member # 95448

Thank you so much for the answers, Heather! And excuse this late thank you. I stepped away from the internet regarding all of this, in an attempt to calm myself down. I'm doing somewhat better now, and have almost gotten to the point where I can put this completely behind me. I have one pregnancy test left, which I am going to take just to get rid of it sometime next week. Just one last time to help give me peace of mind. I'm pretty sure I can forget all this after that. You all have been an awesome help, and have really given me the tools I need to calm myself down when I have a panic attack. Thank you so much!

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.