Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » Needing some support, really.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Needing some support, really.
techie
Activist
Member # 61437

Icon 1 posted      Profile for techie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
4th March, me and my partner were having vaginal intercourse, and he thought the condom was about to break, so he pulled it out to remove it and replace. Unfortunately, he ejaculated during the removal process, and there was some ejaculate around the perineum and anus.

I took the morning after pill, but due to only having a very small local surgery, and lacking the funds to buy it straight out, I had to wait until about 28 hours after the fact, which reduces efficiency.

My period usually arrives somewhere between the 6th and the 9th, but is so far MIA. I know I can't take a test until either the 14th - if I get an extra sensitive one - or the 18th - if I get a 'normal' one, so really I'm just in the waiting game right now.

I'm a bit scared, and worried. There isn't much I can do right now until I know, but... hugs would be nice.

Posts: 160 | From: England | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On the hugs: http://hellyeahscarleteen.tumblr.com/post/19076905053/a-conundrum-we-run-into-often-when-helping-some-of

The MAP is highly effective when taken with 72 hours after a risk, and can still even be effective 120 hours later. You lose *some* effectiveness after 24 hours, but it's not as drastic as it sounds like you're imagining it to be.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That said, if your period is already late, you can go ahead and take a pregnancy test now if you like. You don't have to wait more time once a period is days late.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
techie
Activist
Member # 61437

Icon 1 posted      Profile for techie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Really? Because its usually a little bit irregular - and it hasn't even been 10 days since the risk? I don't have the budget for one of those early-response/high sensitivity ones... I don't really want to risk a false negative and wind up in trouble later one.
Posts: 160 | From: England | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Here's the deal: a person can take a pregnancy test and get accurate results as soon as EITHER 2 weeks after a risk OR when a period is late (when it's at least been a few days after the last day you figure you'd expect it, let's say), whichever comes first.

But if you want to slit the difference and wait another few days, go right ahead.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

techie
Activist
Member # 61437

Oh jeez.

I guess I'll be taking it Wednesday then... (I won't be home alone at all tomorrow, and I don't really want my family to know I'm having a scare until, y'know, the worst occurs.)

Just to check one last time - it'll be just as accurate with a normal test ASAP as it would be if I waited out the 14 days?

Heather
Member # 3

Yes.

The thing is, if you had become pregnant when that had happened, it would have been when or right around when you were ovulating. And while the number of days can vary a lot between people from when a period starts to when ovulation happens, where it does NOT tend to vary much at all is when ovulation happens to when menstruation does: that's almost always a square 14 days for most people.

So, if your period was due quite a few days ago, that likely meant when your risk happened you probably didn't have an egg to have fertilized at that point. Make sense?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

techie
Activist
Member # 61437

Makes sense! Thanks [Smile] I feel calmer now xD
techie
Activist
Member # 61437

I took the test, and I'm not pregnant.

*big sigh*

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.