Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » How to confirm pregnant or not pregnant??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How to confirm pregnant or not pregnant??
CrystalP
Neophyte
Member # 93774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CrystalP     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a pretty elaborate situation, so please bear with me. Also, forgive me for sounding completely paranoid; I'm just a person who worries too much!

I am approximately 2-3 weeks late for my period. I am usually very regular; I've been late for a week or two before but I can generally count on my period coming at a certain time. The difference between then and now is that I have been sexually active, therefore increasing my chances of becoming pregnant. My partner ALWAYS uses a condom with spermicide and pulls out well before he finishes. So I became concerned after missing my period and started doing some research into whether I could be pregnant.

Although I do not track my ovulation, I do remember having some very light spotting around the middle of December at the time I was due to ovulate (which has happened before) and possible discharge that is associated with ovulation. I was stressed last month (final exams, traveling for the holidays, etc). I also did not have any sexual relations around the time period that I believed I was ovulating. I have also not experienced any of the pregnancy "symptoms", though I have heard of some women who were pregnant without having any of the signs. So, all the signs are pointing to NOT PREGNANT except for the fact that I am abnormally late on my period by my standards.

Since I believed I had ovulated, and my research pointed towards "If you ovulate and don't have your period within two weeks, the only plausible explanation is pregnancy", I believe I started psyching myself out. I even took a pregnancy test yesterday (which was 16 days after my period was due) and it came back negative. I wanted to breath a sigh of relief but then, like a dummy, I kept looking into the possibility of "false negatives" even after a woman's period has been missed and freaked myself out again (stories of women who never tested positive on a HPT, or even a blood test until very far into their pregnancy and not finding out they were pregnant until 3-4 months in!).

For me, what I want more than anything is to have a definitive YES or NO about whether I am pregnant, so that I can either relax, or start planning my next steps. I understand the next few steps on that path (retaking a pregnancy test in a week if my period still doesn't come, going to the doctor to get a urine/blood test there, etc). I figure the most definitive test would be an ultrasound, but how common is it for a doctor's office to perform that? Do you have to request it? If it comes to it, and I end up at the doctor's with negative urine and blood tests, I want to have a final definite answer that I am really NOT pregnant. Can I ask to have an ultrasound or something if that becomes the case? And I guess another question, how likely is it that I am pregnant?

Again, sorry for sounding so paranoid. I know that I am asking a lot of "what ifs" and worrying a lot about it, but that's just in my nature. Thanks for taking the time to read through this and for any help or insight you can give me.

Posts: 1 | From: FL | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kachina
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 42505

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kachina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can take another pregnancy test. If two say negative that is likely accurate. You can also schedule an appointment with a doctor and they can give you a test. Reading stories on the internet like that is probably not a good idea, you'll just worry yourself. And just because you read it on the internet doesn't make it true. [Smile]

Also, I would imagine a blood test would be most accurate in early pregnancy. I don't think you can see anything on an ultrasound yet, but I could be mistaken. The best person to talk about this with would be a doctor.

--------------------
~Kat
Scarleteen Volunteer

Humans are allergic to change. They love to say, "We've always done it this way." I try to fight that. That's why I have a clock on my wall that runs counter-clockwise. - Grace Hopper

Posts: 876 | From: Seattle | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.