Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » How do people get pregnant while....

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How do people get pregnant while....
karilimeade
Neophyte
Member # 84606

Icon 1 posted      Profile for karilimeade     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
how do women get pregnant while they are on birth control and using condoms. I'm not sure understand how this happens. I mean i understand that not every female takes her birth control like its religion but this honestly scares me.

I have been on ortho tri cyclen lo for 4 months now and it has helped tremendously as i am no longer having panic attacks about pregnancy. I miss a pill once and followed the directions by taking it at the exact time i remember and then taking the next pill at the set time...
My boyfriend and i don't have very many opportunities to have sex, but when we do we always use a condom and we also use the withdraw method. I mean that is three types of birth control right there.

I say all that because i just don't see how someone can get pregnant on bc and condoms and pulling out. i mean if they get pregnant then they must be doing something wrong right?

Posts: 21 | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karilimeade
Neophyte
Member # 84606

Icon 1 posted      Profile for karilimeade     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
also i'm not pregnant its just that my boyfriend's sister just got pregnant and after the finding out his brother told us "you two be careful." I mentioned i was on bc and we use condoms and then he replied that their sister in law was on bc and had used a condom when she got pregnant with their niece.
Posts: 21 | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only absolutely airtight way not to get pregnant is to not engage in any sexual activities that could lead to pregnancy. However, several birth control methods, especially when used together, have really really high rates of success. The birth control pill, for example, when used with no human error, has been found to be 99% effective in preventing pregnancy. Used typically, as you describe for yourself, it has a 92% success rate. Still excellent! When paired with condoms the success rate is even higher.

Yes, there are people who get pregnant while on birth control. It's scary, but it is rare for someone who was using their chosen method or methods in an ideal manner to get pregnant.

The only answer is to use one's chosen methods well, and the risk of pregnancy will be low. Some of our users say that they set an alarm to go off every day to remind them to take their pill. That's one way to make sure it's as effective as possible.

Does this make sense?

Here's a piece on effectiveness rates for combining birth control methods:

[b]The Buddy System: Effectiveness Rates for Backing Up Your Birth Control With a Second Method
[/b ]

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karilimeade
Neophyte
Member # 84606

yes this makes sense. ever since i missed that one pill i have 2 alarms set instead of just the usual 1 and it goes off every night at 10 and the next at 10:05 as a reminder. now i make sure i take it when first alarm goes off no matter what i am doing.

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.