Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » I don't think I am, but...could I be pregnant??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I don't think I am, but...could I be pregnant??
TheWorrier
Neophyte
Member # 93180

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheWorrier     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, my boyfriend and I had sex on the 2nd and 5th of November, which I think was around my ovulation time (I'm not entirely sure). We used a condom both times, and he only ejaculated into the condom on November 2nd.

Two days ago (December 18), I got what appears to be my period, which is right on time, I believe. However, it's scaring me because it is light, and I only need to use regular size tampons, which is unusual for me. My last period was like this, and came four days earlier than normal, but I took two pregnancy tests and both came back negative.

My question is, could it just be hormones, or pregnancy? I'm sixteen, so I suppose it'd be normal for me to have irregular period cycles here and there...Also, during the time I was PMS-ing, I noticed that when I squeezed my nipples, a small amount of white, pus-like substance came out, which is not normal for me, and honestly, is the main reason I'm scared. My boyfriend's not worried because we used a condom, but I'm getting extremely paranoid. What do you think?

Posts: 29 | From: Texas | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pus coming from the nipples, if that is what happened, is an indication of a possible breast infection, not of pregnancy. If that's going on, I'd suggest seeing your general doctor about that, okay?

Any time someone has the kind of sex that can create a pregnancy, pregnancy is a possibility. The issue there isn't if it is, but how much of a possibility.

If you used condoms for all direct genital contact and did so properly, and the condoms did not slip off or break, you can be very certain pregnancy did not occur. When condoms fail, we know they failed, either because they weren't worn at all, weren't worn for all contact, slipped off or broke.

It sounds like the last two periods, your periods have gotten a bit lighter. It's actually pretty common for periods to get lighter as you go through puberty and move into adulthood, so that wouldn't be a cause for concern all by itself.

Do you feel okay having intercourse with just condoms alone? Sounds like you don't, so if that's so, we're certainly happy to talk with you about other methods you could use with your condoms. [Smile]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheWorrier
Neophyte
Member # 93180

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheWorrier     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you so much [Smile] My mom and I are setting up an appointment for me to see a doctor so I can get on a hormonal contraceptive, and I'll be sure to ask him/her about the issue with my breasts.
Posts: 29 | From: Texas | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fantastic! (And go, Mom!)

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheWorrier
Neophyte
Member # 93180

Okay, I have an update.

I took a pregnancy test (just to make sure), and it looked negative...sort of. Before I used it, there was a negative sign already on the test. I used it anyway, and within the 2-10 minutes, there was a very dark blue negative line, along with a faint, thin, almost nonexistent positive line. I read the pamphlet with the test, and it said if the line was the same thickness, then it didn't matter if the color was lighter or not.

But this line was way thinner than the negative line, and barely showed up. There was no other color, not even a very light blue where the positive line should've been. I'm so confused, and scared, and I really hope it isn't a positive. Please help me!

Heather
Member # 3

Did the instructions say what the test should look like before use? Because if it already looked like there was a result before you even took it, sounds to me like it was defective.

If in doubt, most tests have a toll-free number listed for help questions: does yours? Can you call and see what they have to say about that?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

TheWorrier
Neophyte
Member # 93180

I called and was told that the test result was invalid because the positive line was not the same thickness as the negative line. Still, I'm really scared, even if pregnancy is unlikely..
Heather
Member # 3

I don't suppose they offered you a refund?

I know this blows, but clearly you're going to need to get another test to take if you want to take one. Again, pregnancy here seems very unlikely, but if you want a test to be sure, you'll have to give this another go.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

TheWorrier
Neophyte
Member # 93180

They did, but I declined. And I doubt I am. I'm just freaking out at the idea, I suppose.
Stephanie_1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 36725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephanie_1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If this is really freaking you out, would it be possible for you to get another test to be on the safe side? It may help ease your mind too just to see.

--------------------
"Sometimes the majority only means that all the fools are on the same side" ~Anon

Posts: 3429 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheWorrier
Neophyte
Member # 93180

But would it be worth it? I mean, I had a period for the right amount of time...the only thing worrying me at this point is a bit of nausea that I've had for the past day or so. And even then that goes away when I don't think about it. All in all, I don't know if worrying about this is worth it.
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you think getting another test would reduce your stress and anxiety, then it sounds to me as if it could be worth it. Would spending the money on another test make you more stressed out?

At this point it sounds like it's mostly about your well-being and personal comfort.

What would make you feel less anxious at this point in time?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheWorrier
Neophyte
Member # 93180

A negative pregnancy test, but more importantly someone to talk to. I hate going through this every time I have sex, and I'm afraid to mention any of this to my mom.
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, we're not there in person, but we're definitely here for you to talk to any time! [Smile]

The first part of what you said would make you feel better: Do you think you will get another test kit to ease your mind?

Also, I saw above that your Mom and you are planning to get you an appointment with a doctor to discuss hormonal birth control. Sounds like your Mom is on board with this, which is great. How do you think it would be to talk to her about your fears, or does she not know that you're sexually active?

I'm also wondering: if you feel afraid every time you have sex, do you think it might be worth it to change your sexual activity until you have birth control methods that make you feel more secure? That's a big question, I know, but intercourse isn't the only kind of sex.

If I'm throwing a lot at you, let me know. [Smile]

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheWorrier
Neophyte
Member # 93180

She doesn't know about me having sex. I want to tell her, but I'm not sure how to bring it up without her being hurt. Also, I think I might get another test if I feel myself getting worse. Right now, I really want to try to cope with this constant anxiety without having to buy a test.

As for if I'm even ready for sex, I think it's safe to say that's a no. My boyfriend and I have agreed to hold off for awhile, at least until I have been on the pill for awhile.

Lastly, and I know this might sound immature, but I want to know if anyone sees this as an imminent pregnancy threat, or if I'm fine this cycle. Any comments are appreciated, and I thank everyone for all of y'alls help!

moonlight bouncing off water
Peer Ambassador
Member # 44338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for moonlight bouncing off water     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The risk of pregnancy from the above, if indeed there was any risk at all, is very minimal, Of course you can take a pregnancy test again if it will make you feel better. When you go to the doctor's office they will most likely give you a pregnancy test as part of their routine testing for someone that is going to go on birth control, so you can just wait until your appointment if you're comfortable with that.

--------------------
~moonlight

I am ME and that is the only label I need.

Posts: 864 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheWorrier
Neophyte
Member # 93180

Thank you! I feel a lot better about the situation. [Smile]
TheWorrier
Neophyte
Member # 93180

I'm really sorry a out this, but I have another question that is seriously bugging me.

Is pregnancy likely if my boyfriend and I were naked and rubbing against each other--no ejaculation--had sex with a condom (still no ejaculation), then rubbed on each other some more, ultimately resulting in no ejaculation.

Basically, the head of his penis did not come into contact with my vulva or vagina unless covered with a condom. It was only the shaft of his penis. How likely is pregnancy?

Kachina
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 42505

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kachina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Genital rubbing does pose a pregnancy risk. With no ejaculation the risk would be small. This also poses an STI risk. Are you and your boyfriend up to date on STI tests? You really should use the condom for all genital contact.

[ 01-09-2012, 08:12 PM: Message edited by: KatWA ]

--------------------
~Kat
Scarleteen Volunteer

Humans are allergic to change. They love to say, "We've always done it this way." I try to fight that. That's why I have a clock on my wall that runs counter-clockwise. - Grace Hopper

Posts: 876 | From: Seattle | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheWorrier
Neophyte
Member # 93180

About how small would the risk be? I mean, there was pre-cum, but he had not ejaculated beforehand, so there wouldn't be any sperm in it...
Kachina
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 42505

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kachina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If he peed before his last ejaculation then the risk is very tiny. I would say you don't really have much of a risk here, but I would make sure to just use the condom for all genital contact in the future just to be safest.

--------------------
~Kat
Scarleteen Volunteer

Humans are allergic to change. They love to say, "We've always done it this way." I try to fight that. That's why I have a clock on my wall that runs counter-clockwise. - Grace Hopper

Posts: 876 | From: Seattle | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheWorrier
Neophyte
Member # 93180

Okay, thank you! I am so glad I found this site, y'all are the best. [Smile]

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.