Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » Morning Sickness?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Morning Sickness?
Hannigan
Neophyte
Member # 60994

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hannigan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello,

Is it possible for morning sickness to START (no symptoms at all previously) in the third trimester, 8 month?

My gf had nauseua and then vomited last night, and a low grade fever and chills that accompanied it until a little while after she threw up, at around 1 AM.

Could that be morning sickness?
She's perfectly fine this morning, so its weird I've never had an illness like that...

Thank you.

Posts: 33 | From: NY | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrightStar171
Peer Ambassador
Member # 64549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrightStar171     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That sounds a lot more like either a bug of some sort or possibly food poisoning. Fever and chills are not typically pregnancy symptoms, and, as you know, it'd be really rare for morning sickness to start so late in pregnancy even if they were. If she has any more symptoms, you might want to check in with her doctor.
Posts: 100 | From: Virginia, USA | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hannigan
Neophyte
Member # 60994

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hannigan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've read though that it can start third trimester if it's due to the baby pressing on the stomach so much...

Though that would be acid reflux caused by pregnancy, and she's had no heartburn...

So IDK. :/
I'm just so paranoid...

Posts: 33 | From: NY | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hannigan
Neophyte
Member # 60994

like this http://www.alleviatemorningsickness.com/pregnancy-nausea-third-trimester/

:'(

September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Given that your partner's nausea was accompanied by fever and chills, I'd agree with BrightStar that it was more likely due to food poisoning or a stomach bug. Especially if it's just a one-off thing. Nausea associated with the pregnancy would be recurring or constant.

Either way, if something like this happens again, she'd best check in with her OB/GYN or general practitioner.

--------------------
-joey
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 8994 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hannigan
Neophyte
Member # 60994

Is that common for a stomach bug or food poisoning to be just a one time thing like that though...chills for a couple hours one night, vomit once, then that's it?

I haven't had a bug in many years I don't remember what it was really like other than I felt really really bad then vomited...

Also you're sure it would continue on and on if it were morning sickness, not be just a one time thing on one day then that's it? It's still early in seeing if it comes back.

September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Neither you, nor we, are doctors. Both BrightStar and I have expressed our opinion on this but ultimately we cannot diagnose your girlfriend.

All we can say is that it is very common for stomach bugs to only last for a day (or night), and same goes for food poisoning. The fever and chills speak for that, as opposed to something related to the pregnancy.

But, again: if this happens again, and/or if she remains concerned, she'll want to check in with her doctor or OB/GYN.

--------------------
-joey
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 8994 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Captain Girl
Activist
Member # 60279

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Captain Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wouldn't suggest that your girlfriend wait for this to happen again before checking in with an OB/GYN. Pretty much anytime a pregnant woman has a fever, I think at least a phone call to the OB is warranted. Certain kinds of food poisoning are dangerous to the baby, so better safe than sorry.
Posts: 129 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.