Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » 3 negative tests, no period still!?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 3 negative tests, no period still!?
beholdsara
Neophyte
Member # 67208

Icon 4 posted      Profile for beholdsara     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am 21 years old living with my boyfriend. We talked about having a child recently and weren't trying to do it but also weren't trying not to. We are in a stable position and could definitely have one but we never made a concrete decision. Now what's going on is last month my period was basically none existant, a whole three days and barely any blood, which is NOT normal for me. That month I took two tests and both came out negative. Now I am two weeks and one day late and I took a test last week and it still said negative. I'm really confused as to whats going on. I haven't had any breast tenderness or morning sickness or anything, but I have been feeling slightly off. Not bad just.. not normal I guess? I am quiet and shy and timid and that is SO not me. I'm visiting family right now and they say they notice I'm different. Also my appetite has changed and I get full really quickly, eating less than half of what I normally eat. I'm so confused. What should I do? Is there any other reason I could be late?

[ 06-05-2011, 01:36 PM: Message edited by: beholdsara ]

Posts: 5 | From: New Mexico | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's a bunch of reasons that menstrual cycles can go wonky, and that you can experience changes in mood or appetite.

Given your negative tests, pregnancy sounds very unlikely here. Are you current with your general reproductive/sexual/general healthcare?

(If you want, we can also talk about family planning, and how to get to a point where rather than deciding not to decide, you and your partner really make choices and plan a family if and when you feel ready for that. Since becoming pregnant and parenting are HUGE changes that are also lifelong changes, you probably want to have more concrete plans rather than leaving such a big thing up for grabs, you know?)

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beholdsara
Neophyte
Member # 67208

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beholdsara     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
healthcare isn't something I have been utd on really lately. I had a pap in the last year but that's about it. As long as you don't think I am pregnant I can stop worrying about it. Im just NEVER late or super light like last months and its very strange. I would say its the move recently into a new home and new state with my boyfriend but I have been on the move for the last year covering 7 different states and my period has never been off.
Posts: 5 | From: New Mexico | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thing is, I'd say that major mood changes, loss of half your appetite and (though this may be related to the latter) wonky periods ARE something to have a doctor look into.

I know sometimes it can be tough to find and manage healthcare, but if you're not using contraception and having the kind of sex which can create a pregnancy, at the very least, you'll need to be prepared to suddenly need a LOT of healthcare and get it quickly, so for that reason alone, you'll want to sort that out pronto, you know?

Do you need help finding healthcare? We're always happy to help our users with that as we can.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beholdsara
Neophyte
Member # 67208

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beholdsara     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I actually just talked to my grandparents and I am able to get back on their insurance. I wasn't aware of it till they just told me when we were discussing this same topic. But I very much appreciate that you're willing to help. So you think I should wait a little longer? Try another test? Or go see a doctor?
Heather
Member # 3

Personally, I'd say that that big a loss of appetite and major mood changes alone warrant getting checked out.

With the pregnancy, three negative tests is a pretty clear no, so I don't see the need for another home test. But you can certainly have a doctor give you a test and/or do an ultrasound if they deem it necessary when you get seen for the other stuff.

As well, if you don't feel totally ready to be pregnant and parent very soon, another thing you can do with that visit is to talk about a reliable birth control method that's easily reversible if and when you do feel more ready, including being more ready to plan a pregnancy and family actively, rather than passively.

[ 06-05-2011, 02:11 PM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

beholdsara
Neophyte
Member # 67208

Alright. Thanks a ton. I love this site!
Heather
Member # 3

Glad to help. [Smile]

Do you need/want to talk about planning a family or contraception (or both)? Or negotiating these things with your partner actively and well? If so, always glad to help you think and talk it through.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.