Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » Pregnant? Terrified, but possibly over reacting?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pregnant? Terrified, but possibly over reacting?
SmileLikeYouMeanItt
Neophyte
Member # 45073

Icon 4 posted      Profile for SmileLikeYouMeanItt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello,
I'm 17 & really scared, my boyfriend & i have been dating a year and a bit & we've never had sex. Yes we do mess round with other things, but we're always really careful.

So this week i'm two days late coming on, which you may think is no big deal, but i've only ever been late once.

I also have had bad nausea for a few days, especially bad when i wake up and pains round my tummy. Though I haven't been sick. My appetite has completely gone.

I wondered if it was PMS, but i don't really know, i've never had it before, a week before my period I usually get really upset and sad, this month I haven't had that.

I know the chance of getting pregnant is small if you haven't had sex, but what if he put his hand there after touching cum or I did by accident. I can't remember us doing that, I don't even remember what day we were doing these things.

All i know is i'm late, freaking out, i can't buy a pregnancy test at the moment, neither can he, though we're both going to try in the next few days.

I just want to get across how careful we are, i'm lucky to have a boyfriend i can talk to, he's trying to reassure me that i'm overreacting and i should just wait a few days to see if i come on, and if i'm really that worried we'll go buy a pregnancy test.

So i just want a bit of advice really, i have no one to talk to about this, i want to know what everyone thinks.. am i overreacting? could i be pregnant?

Thankyou so much.

[ 04-26-2011, 04:33 AM: Message edited by: SmileLikeYouMeanItt ]

--------------------
[:

Posts: 20 | From: England | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OWL Dan
Activist
Member # 49077

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OWL Dan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Smile…,

You can relax, it does not sound like you had any realistic risks. [Smile] Even if either of you might have touched semen/ejaculate, sperm are very fragile and need a lot a of the fluid in semen in order to swim. To be a realistic risk, there would need to enough semen on the finger(s) to be dripping and have it placed near the opening to your vagina. I am including an article for you that may help you to better understand what is and isn’t a pregnancy risk. If you do care to try a pregnancy test, they should be taken no less than 10-14 days after the possible risk or your period is late in order to have a reliable result.

Pregnancy Scared?

--------------------
Dan

Posts: 842 | From: Ohio | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SmileLikeYouMeanItt
Neophyte
Member # 45073

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SmileLikeYouMeanItt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thanks for the link & the advice, i feel more assured now.
i'm just worried because i have the nausea & abdominal pains that are said to be symptoms of pregnancy.
& i have never had nausea & abdominal pains from my period & i'm never usually late, or sick.
i think i'll l leave it till tomorrow night & if i'm still not on then i'll go get a pregnancy test.
Just seems stupid that i could get pregnant when I haven't had sex & he hasn't cum near/in my vagina, but I feel like i have the symptoms of pregnancy, because I can't explain these symptoms otherwise [Frown]
i'll just wait & hope, but not wait too long obviously, thanks for your help [:

--------------------
[:

Posts: 20 | From: England | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OWL Dan
Activist
Member # 49077

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OWL Dan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Usually the first sign or symptom that you might be pregnant would be a skipped period or two. The ‘morning sickness’ symptoms do not come until later on, if someone is pregnant. Are you able to talk with your mother about your nausea and abdominal pains, or maybe your school’s nurse? If these symptoms don’t clear up (or get worse) in a day or two, you may want to get checked by your Dr. to find out what is going on.

--------------------
Dan

Posts: 842 | From: Ohio | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SmileLikeYouMeanItt
Neophyte
Member # 45073

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SmileLikeYouMeanItt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i can't with my mum, she'd freak out & we don't have a school nurse & i'm off school for Easter anyways.

But i wondered if i could ask one more question.. i had what i thought was spotting earlier & then again & again, it's red.
But it's so light & my periods are usually heavier.
Yet.. sorry for this detail, when i go to the toilet the blood is dripping and when i wipe there's lots.. but not on my pad.
I can't work it out & i'm scared it's a sign of pregnancy, help?

--------------------
[:

OWL Dan
Activist
Member # 49077

I would like to re-enforce for you that it does not sound like you had a realistic risk. Periods can very a lot sometimes, especially when you are under some stress like being pregnancy scared, and there may be times that it can be skipped too. Give it some time and see if it is a light period or it comes a little later with your normal flow. When I was commenting about talking with your mom, I did not mean that you had to tell her that you were sexually active. I meant to talk with her simply about the nausea and abdominal pains. Maybe you could simply go see your Dr (privately with out your mom in the exam room) about them instead if you would feel more comfortable. By the way, did you read that article I suggested?

--------------------
Dan

SmileLikeYouMeanItt
Neophyte
Member # 45073

i'm on! never been so relieved! you were completely right about the stress, i took out 10mins & just calmed down & did tons of breathing exercises and it worked! thankyou for your help [: as for the pains & sickness .. i don't have a clue where they've come from, i haven't been out the house in ages, perhaps i have caught it from something brought into the house though.
Thanks again [:

--------------------
[:

OWL Dan
Activist
Member # 49077

Stress is capable of reaping havoc with many health issues unfortunately [Frown] ; so learning relaxation techniques, like breathing exercises or taking a walk, are good things to learn. It is very likely you might have caught something brought into the house. I am glad to hear that your are doing better. [Smile]

--------------------
Dan

Captain Girl
Activist
Member # 60279

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Captain Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stress, sickness and travel can all mess up periods. So if you time it right, being worried that you might be pregnant can make your period late, which makes you more worried... It's a lousy cycle. Congratulations on getting your real cycle solidly started, and all the peace of mind that comes with that.

I wanted to say about pregnancy symptoms - you really cannot set too much store by them. Basically, walking around female and pre-menopausal is a sign that you might be pregnant. That said, however, one late period certainly justifies a pregnancy test, IMO, and a positive home pregnancy test is a much earlier and more reliable indicator than two missed periods. Any time more than 14 days post-risk you can expect a real result, as in "if it's negative, stop worrying." The earlier you know, the more time you have to weigh your options.

Posts: 129 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.