Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » Possible pregnancy?!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Possible pregnancy?!
JWilly87
Neophyte
Member # 53268

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JWilly87     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I started the Nuvaring on December 31st. My last period had been on December 25th, but I did not start the ring as been directed after the first few days of the period. About 2 weeks after I had unprotected sex. I decided as a precautionary to get plan b. A few days later I had unprotected sex again, the ring says it should be effective after 7 days of continuous use but im so nervous that I could be pregnant...any advice?
Posts: 5 | From: Plymouth | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The ring can be effective after seven says when started on day one of a period or by the first Sunday after. If you didn't start it that way and had intercourse using no other method, it's wise you used Plan B. Did you use it again after you went without a backup method the second time?

Just FYI, if you are still on that first ring, you want to keep using a backup method until you're at your next ring unless you started the ring on day 1 of your period or by the first Sunday after it began.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JWilly87
Neophyte
Member # 53268

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JWilly87     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I only used the plan b after the first times (he came inside me more than once) and I took it almost the full 72 hours after the risk...The other times I didnt and at this point it is too late. Today was the third week with the ring so I took it out today, if I am to get my period within the 2 days is there still a chance that I could be pregnant because the risk was only 5 days ago?
Posts: 5 | From: Plymouth | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Within which two days?

If you get your withdrawal bleed during the week-off time, you can be sure you did not become pregnant.

However, just so you don't freak out unnecessarily, when starting a new method, sometimes bleeds can be off or wonky for a few cycles. So, if you miss it, it may or may not be about a pregnancy. However, since you had a potential risk, if you don't get it by the end of your week off from the ring, I'd take a pregnancy test.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JWilly87
Neophyte
Member # 53268

I took the ring out today, Ive heard the period when the ring is out takes between 2-3 days. Even though the risk was only 5 days ago if im pregnant I wont get my period? Is there a possibility i can get my period but still be pregnant?
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you were to become pregnant from your risk, you would not get your period, no. It isn't possible to have a period (or withdrawal bleed) and be pregnant, so if you get your bleed as usual, you can assume that you are not pregnant.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JWilly87
Neophyte
Member # 53268

What about all the cases of people who get a period during pregnancy? Like spotting? In either case im going to take a pregnancy test on monday (although just from reading around that still might be too soon) but im just trying to find peace of mind until that time...
Heather
Member # 3

No one gets menstrual periods during pregnancy. Some people have what's called decidual bleeding, others have vaginal bleeding for other reasons. However, it is MOST common not to have bleeding, and it's quite rare to have bleeding at exactly the time periods are expected, at the same flow level, and with the same symptoms.

If you don't get your withdrawal bleed by the end of your placebo period, it won't be too soon to test since you''ll effectively have a missed period at that point.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

JWilly87
Neophyte
Member # 53268

Ok thank you so much...will be testing on monday :/

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.