Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » Sorry to do it-> Pregnancy Scare Question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sorry to do it-> Pregnancy Scare Question
risingtograce03
Neophyte
Member # 49302

Icon 1 posted      Profile for risingtograce03     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok. So I've done my homework. I swear. And Im honestly here because I think the people here are the most intelligent, smartest girls, and I think some younger girls could use me as an example of "what not to do"-. Here is what is currently up:

I am 23 years old, i've been in a monogamous relationship with a guy for the past 8 months that I have known since high school. We had sex every 3 days at least, and my birth control plan for the past 3 months (The one I came up with in my head) was to follow the CycleBeads thing, just not buy the beads- I counted in my head (I actually recorded it in a book/calendar on my computer) just like the beads suggested. I told him he couldn't ejaculate inside of me on days 8-19. He still entered me without condoms on days 8-19, but he never actually ejaculated into me during this time period. I know I should have made him wear a condom *the whole time* during these days, but I was sort of operating on the "if we get pregnant, then its not such a bad thing anymore" principal, as we were discussing marriage and the like. I had a perfect 28 day cycle that I had tracked for almost a year, so I knew I was regular enough to use the CycleBeads, and I knew that my chances of getting pregnant if he was just inside of me prior to ejaculation on the 8-19th days of my cycle I had about a 30% chance of pregnancy. (I'd like to add that I fully explained ALL of this to my partner, who knew our odds as well!) This month, I was rather nervous, because I am pretty sure he was inside of me on the day I was ovulating.

So, fast forward to today. My period is due in 3 days. Like, its never come early in my whole entire life, its only ever been late- and I am bleeding a little bit today. It is a light pinkish color, and its not heavy or anything, and there is no normal period cramping to go with it.

I'm afraid this is implantation bleeding, and I am wondering if a pregnancy test will work for me yet, so I can know which way this cookie is going to crumble. I just don't know if i believe the early detector crowd that say they work before the missed period.

The really, really, really crappy part is that said boyfriend and i (you guessed it!) broke up on wednesday of this past week, so I don't even begin to know what I would do right now if I were pregnant. It would basically suck, regardless of the choice, but then it would theoretically be my child, and his child and, well, i loved him and stuff, so I'm very emotional about the whole thing, and I feel like I could almost post this as a relationship issue and ask a slew of questions there as well, but I don't want to impose, so if you could just let me know if you think a test would work on me yet, that'd be awesome!

Posts: 4 | From: Fort Collins, CO. | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OWL Dan
Activist
Member # 49077

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OWL Dan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Risingtograce03,
It may be helpful to know that the stress of your break-up may have caused the irregularity of your cycle too; no guarantees, but it might help you relax a little. In order to answer your question about tests, it would help to know how long ago was your last ‘exposure’ risk.

--------------------
Dan

Posts: 842 | From: Ohio | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
risingtograce03
Neophyte
Member # 49302

Icon 1 posted      Profile for risingtograce03     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Dan, Thanks for answering. I think its the stressful breakup and period for sure now, . My last exposure was not this saturday, but last saturday. And I just took a first response test one of my girlfriends had because she had an extra one. It is 11 pm, and I have already peed like 15 times today, but it did come up negative, which was snazzy imho.

Since I had sex 8 days ago now, do i need to keep testing for a while to be sure? Do i have to do it in the morning?

I am still spotting lightly, and at times the spotting is stopping all together, but i hope you are right and its just my body out of whack due to stress rather than a baby at such a horrible juncture. I mean, the test is probably right already, right?

Again, thanks so much for your help! It is sincerely appreciated.

Posts: 4 | From: Fort Collins, CO. | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OWL Dan
Activist
Member # 49077

Icon 14 posted      Profile for OWL Dan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you read the instructions for that particular test and were within the guidelines (time window since last intercourse, only if they say it matters -1st urine- Most don’t now days) they listed, then you should be able to trust the results. It never hurts to try another one just to help you further put your mind at ease.
Take Care,

--------------------
Dan

Posts: 842 | From: Ohio | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If your last risk was only 8 days ago, you actually tested a little early: the earliest a test can give you an accurate result is at 10 days. So, you'll want to re-test in a couple of days.

In the meantime, if you want to continue to use FAM for pregnancy protection, why not take a look at this article: Get With the Flow: All About FAM

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
risingtograce03
Neophyte
Member # 49302

Hey, thanks to you guys so much. He is paying for another test on Friday, but this extra-painful, thick chunky period, while being nauseated and sore all over has all all the signs and markers of being an early mis-carriage according to my mom the Nurse- which would suck, but theres no way to know.

Again, thanks for all of your info- I knew scarleteen was the best place to ask. [Smile] And I promise that when find another man that I want to marry, we will follow the FAM method much more closely, as I really did like the conveniences it afforded us (Aside from the nerves!)

September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If your risk was only just over a week ago, you'd barely be pregnant. When miscarriages happen this early, they tend to happen without someone noticing. So, this really may just be an unusually heavy period. And a period would mean that you are not pregnant.

Maybe the upside is that this bleeding is obviously too heavy to be implantation bleeding, so you can stop worrying about that. [Smile]

If the bleeding gets very heavy, you can call and check in with your gynecologist, just to be safe. But other than that, I'd just try not to worry. And if it'll make you feel better, you can go ahead and take another test in a few days.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
risingtograce03
Neophyte
Member # 49302

Hey september, thanks for your info [Smile] - my *last* risk was just over a week ago- we were in a manogamous relationship where sex occurred every other day or so for months- So I don't think that last risk was to blame for this super heavy period. I think it might have been a previous instance that caused said miscarriage, but i'm not worried at this point. You're right, at least i'm not pregnant! [Smile]

Like i said, my mom is a nurse, and only once I asked here did I have the balls to ask her- lol- and she says that while there is no way to tell, early miscarriages like this happen spontaneously for a host of reasons; so, who knows. Maybe its just the wierdest period i've ever had in my whole life. *shrugs*

Thanks for everything [Smile] Have a great night [Smile]

September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

I'm sorry, Rising. Our users often ask about one specific instance, so I made the assumption out of habit.

If you two were having sex regularly, then it's possible that you may have become pregnant earlier. But since your period was also supposed to start right around this time, it's also entirely possible that this is simply a wierd period.

If you are suspecting that this IS a miscarriage, then you may just want to go in and see a doctor, just to be on the safe side.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.