Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » Trying to concieve...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Trying to concieve...
oOo Lea oOo
Activist
Member # 26647

Icon 11 posted      Profile for oOo Lea oOo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First off.. Hello Scarleteen!! It's been quite some time since I've been on this site..

Second.. Happy Thanksgiving to those who are celebrating.. Be safe, Be joyous, and most important: Be Thankful!

So heres the deal: My fiance and I have been trying to conceive for AGES it seems like. I've consulted my general physician first.. Didn't get much luck there. Second I moved along to my OBGYN. They did all the blood tests to check hormones and all were in normal range. She asked me to start taking a multi-vitamin, even pre-natal if I could find some that were in expensive, to raise my folic acid levels. I've been doing that. I have not been on birth control for nearly two years now, a year of which I've been actively trying to concieve. I do smoke, but I have cut back tremendously!! She said that would be a plus. I don't drink or anything of the like. Blah blah blah, right?

My fiance and I both have very decent jobs. He works for a company that gets contracted out a lot and makes very decent money. I will graduate from college with a degree in nursing soon! I have a very good job with a very reputable company, and though I'm just a CNA now, I make very good money for I have been there several years. I'm under contract for 2 years, so I know I will have a job for some time. I do not plan on leaving after those two years are up, because I've built a retirement. So that's that for finances...

Living arrangements: I am currently renting an appartment that I've lived at for quite some time. My fiance and I live together. I do not wish to buy until I have a good amount in my savings, which is steadily building. I will start with land first, then go on from there...

As for Education, as I mentioned I am out of school here in August, thankfully!

I am 24 years old, as is my fiance.

All in all, we are ready for this. We have been ready for quite some time now. After every negative test I tell myself that it just isn't the time because I am still in college and I need to get that finished. But I'm finished.

What can i do.

--------------------
And I say thank you for the scars
And the guilt and the pain
Every tear I've never cried
Has sealed your fate.
Did you take me for a fool
or were you just too blind to see
that every effort made has failed
and there is no destroying me?
Atreyu

Posts: 366 | From: West Virginia | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oOo Lea oOo
Activist
Member # 26647

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oOo Lea oOo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another thing is I do not have a regular cycle. My OBGYN put me on a hormone to induce my period. She suggested that since I was below normal weight that I gain weight, and I've gained 27 lbs over the course of a year. I am now at normal.

Any suggestions on what else I can do?

--------------------
And I say thank you for the scars
And the guilt and the pain
Every tear I've never cried
Has sealed your fate.
Did you take me for a fool
or were you just too blind to see
that every effort made has failed
and there is no destroying me?
Atreyu

Posts: 366 | From: West Virginia | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lea: TTC posts are just outside the scope of what we do here at Scarleteen. We're not a fertility site for couples trying to conceive.

Your best bet is to keep consulting with your OB/GYN. For instance, if they haven't helped you to start charting yet, that's a ground zero place to start.

If your OB/GYN has not been helpful to you in conception, then you'll want to try a new one.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
moonlight bouncing off water
Peer Ambassador
Member # 44338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for moonlight bouncing off water     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations on trying to conceive! This is not really a suggestion on what you should do about not yet becoming pregnant, but an urging to stop smoking. Smoking can cause serious damage to a fetus or a growing child. I have a friend who's father barely smoked around her mother while she was pregnant, my friend cannot smell, her sister has a variety of medical problems and requires blood transfusions regularly. Even if you stop smoking for the duration of you pregnancy this will still cause problems for your child as her or she grows. I do not mean to be rude but this is a very important issue to me. Please, for the sake of your baby, both you (and anyone close to you such as your partner) should stop smoking. Even if your child is not affected directly, what if you get lung cancer and you die, does your child deserve to lose their parent? Please at least consider this, not for me, but for your baby.

--------------------
~moonlight

I am ME and that is the only label I need.

Posts: 864 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.