Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » Where do I go from here? (Financial help for an abortion)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Where do I go from here? (Financial help for an abortion)
cmaea
Neophyte
Member # 41122

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cmaea     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I apologize this is confusing..!
I had sex on October 5, and took Plan B the following day. The last time I took Plan B I had started bleeding (I guess it was an early period) the very next day, and I expected to do the same this time, but it didn’t happen. On October 11 I had sex again, and the condom ripped. My partner and I were worried taking Plan B twice in one week would be dangerous, since I don’t react well to the pill anyway, so we hoped for the best and moved on. On October 14th I started bleeding, much like I did the first time I ever took Plan B. It lasted for about four days, the usual length of my period, and that was the end of it.

It’s been over 28 days and I haven’t gotten my period yet. I understand this could be from stress, and my period isn’t regular to begin with- normally I get it every two months. I’m worried though, so I will be taking a pregnancy test on Monday (when I get the funds together and my partner will be there for support).

I understand the $15 for the test isn’t enough, but I’m in college and since I’m not yet 18 my funds are still tightly controlled by my parents. ---who are ultra-conservative. I’m positive I can’t turn to them for assistance here, so financially I’m on my own. Here’s where the next dilemma comes into play.

If I am pregnant, I want to have an abortion. There’s a Planned Parenthood near my campus in Dutchess County, and I can go there. The thing is, abortions aren’t free, and even the cost on the sliding scale for me-with no income-is still pretty steep. My partner will contribute, but neither of us has the $300+ to turn over. Which is why I am here ---

What resources are out there for me to get financial support and assistance for an abortion ? Where do I go from here? Who do I contact?

I’m 17 years old, by the way, if that has any effect on anything that I may need to do. I know I can get an abortion in New York without parental notification or consent. Emotionally I have all the support I need, friends and a stable relationship. And on campus there is a lot of support –emotionally and spiritually- that I can turn to for help. I know it seems kind of silly that all I’m worried about is the finances, but I have nearly everything else covered.

Again, I may not be pregnant. But if I am, I want to act as soon as possible, and having this information available will be a big help when I have to get started on this ‘adventure’. Thank you so much for any help you can guide me towards!

((Also, I feel like I careless teenager for having so many mistakes with the condom…so I’m going to Planned Parenthood at the end of the month – if it turns out I’m not pregnant- for Birth Control. I’ll still be using a condom, even though I’m in a monogamous relationship – for security, but I won’t have to be so concerned and stressed if it slips or rips. ))

Posts: 17 | From: New York | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
orchid53
Neophyte
Member # 41123

Icon 1 posted      Profile for orchid53     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The National Network of Abortion Fund's maintains a listing of abortion funds that is searchable by state.

http://www.nnaf.org/

You could also ask the women's health center on campus if they know of anything.

And are you using lube? That can help prevent condom tears.

Posts: 1 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
NNAF is a fantastic resource.

However, I'd not jump the gun here. Plan B does often toss menstrual cycles out of whack, and you did have bleeding on the 14th, so you not having a period (or another periods if that was your period), is not something that I;d have immediate concern about.

So, go ahead and take that test. If it is positive, you can look to NNAF for abortion funds, but we can also help you through the process here if you need it.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmaea
Neophyte
Member # 41122

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cmaea     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a quick question about the pregnancy test -

Normally I wouldn't get my period for every other month. Would that affect the time that I take the test?

I know it's been over thirty days, I want to take the test, but I don't want to take it too soon and get a negative result and forget about it - only to realize that I actually am pregnant...and around Christmas time.

I do have to take it soon though. I'd have to get the abortion within the next few weeks, before I go back home for winter break...

After I decide that I need to have the abortion, about how long does it usually take until I can have the procedure done?

Posts: 17 | From: New York | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, your period being irregular would not impact the effects of the test. It also has been absolutely long enough for you to wait to take one: you can go ahead and take that test now.

In the chance you are pregnant, if you want to terminate, when you can do so depends on the type of abortion you want. If you want to use the abortion pill, you can usually do that starting at four weeks. If you want to have a surgical abortion, you'll usually need to wait until it's been five or six weeks. So, just so you understand, if you are pregnant, you may or may not be able to terminate in the time window you want to.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmaea
Neophyte
Member # 41122

I went to the health services center at my campus today, and they gave me a pregnancy test, which came back negative, much to my relief. They went through the dates with me and told me how unlikely it was that I would be ovulating when I had sex anyway.

The nurses and doctor told me that those were pretty reliable, but if I wanted more confirmation I could get a blood test. I might hold off on that till the end of the week though, I'm just so relieved now.

Heather
Member # 3

They're right: those tests are very reliable, and like I said before, I didn't see a big risk in the first place.

By all means, if you need a blood test for your own peace of mind, there's no reason not to get one, but I really do think you can rest easy now.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.