Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » Am I just being paranoid here?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Am I just being paranoid here?
brittney111
Neophyte
Member # 36304

Icon 5 posted      Profile for brittney111     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a college student who is in a 3 year monogamous relationship (we're the first 'real' relationship either of us has had, and we've both tested neg for any STIs) and my boyfriend and I know that we want to 'save' vaginal intercourse until we're married because we're both virgins and we just feel it is right to wait.

Anyway, although we don't have vaginal sex, we do masturbate eachother manually and orally and we get a great deal of satisfaction from that. [Smile] Since we know we're clear from STIs, we don't use any barriers. I'm always conscious of making sure our naked genitalia never touches and he typically manually stimulates me first to be safe.

For some reason, over the past couple of months I keep getting worried that I might be pregnant. My mind is telling me that I'm silly because (1) he has never ejaculated on my vulva (2) our genitals have never touched and (3) we always wipe/clean our hands before having any contact with my genitals if he has ejaculated, etc.

In October, my period was due in the last week of the month, but it didn't show up until Nov 2- I was about a week late. I was basically freaking out, worrying that somehow we hadn't been careful, etc..

I got my period Nov 2, and then basically we went through the same thing again and I was stressing when my next period was a couple days late. It came Dec 10 and was pretty heavy as usual and lasted about a week. Now, I know this doesn't sound logical at all, but I guess I just need reassurance or something... is there any way I could be pregnant and still having 'periods' that seem to have the same duration as they normally do? I have been feeling light headed and bloated/full for the past few days and I feel like my mind is starting to play tricks on me.

What should I do? I shouldn't be worried about pregnancy, should I? [Confused]

Thank you in advance for any advice you can offer me, and sorry for the length of this post.

Posts: 2 | From: USA | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know, sounds to me like even if you don't have a strong physical need to use latex barriers for the kinds of sex you're having, you have a strong emotional need to do so. In other words, adding some extra safeties would probably leave you feeling a whole lot better and provide you with sexual experiences which are pleasant during AND before. See what I mean?

If you have not had any direct genital or fluid contact to your genitals, then no, you haven't had viable risks. If you're having your normal periods, you also aren't pregnant.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(FYI? You do still have to worry about bacterial infections and the lot, so what's best per his hands before manual intercourse for you is simply that he washes them, okay?)

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cool87         Edit/Delete Post 
(Welcome to Scarleteen ! [Smile] )

You just can't be pregnant and have a period at the same time. That's just not possible. Plus, you've said it yourself, you didn't even have any pregnancy risk to begin with. So really, you just can't be pregnant so just try to relax, okay ?

There are a lot of possible causes for a period either being late or missed. Stress, change in your diet, an increase in the amount of exercice you do are all possible culprits among other things. It might just be too that your cycle is just irregular, especially if you've had your period for less than 5 years. Here, you might want to check this out:
MIA or DUDE: Where's my period ?

(Edited: Mindmeld ! [Smile] )

[ 12-31-2007, 12:54 PM: Message edited by: cool87 ]

--------------------
Sustain Scarleteen by donating
http://www.scarleteen.com/donate.html

Posts: 3598 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brittney111
Neophyte
Member # 36304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for brittney111     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for your responses, I really appreciate it. It is good to hear that I'm being a worry wart and I need to relax. My boyfriend has been saying that all along, but I felt like I needed an objective opinion. [Wink] It's kind of ironic how worrying/stressing about the idea of pregnancy can delay your period, causing you to stress more... etc. Again, thank you. This site seems like a great resource for men & women of all ages, and I wish I'd known about it sooner!
Posts: 2 | From: USA | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.