Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » Very important regarding pregnancy/periods

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Very important regarding pregnancy/periods
Lemesik
Neophyte
Member # 31281

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lemesik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Firstly, please disregard and delete my other topic called conception. I've done some researching and I have a good point to make, my previous topic did not make this point well enough.

Looking around these boards, it seems that there is no way to be pregnant and have a period. On any of these topics the answer has always been that you cannot have a period and be pregnant. I agree with this.

However, some topics have asked if you have a risk then shortly after (a week or less) you have your period can you be pregnant. This includes one of my own questions. The answer has always been no, it is impossible for the uterine lining to be expelled and an embryo to remain, which is true. However, implantation does not occur for 8 days (give or take a few days) after fertilisation. And it is not until after implantation occurs that hormones are produced which stop the lining being shed.

So say a woman had a 28 day cycle and for some reason ovulated on day 25. If sperm were deposited there on day 21 they could be alive to fertilize the egg. The egg would then begin to move towards the uterus and implant itself. Now if the egg had not yetimplanted and a period occured like normal would the fertilised egg not still be viable to implant itself and cause a pregnancy? If this is true then while it is impossible to be pregnant and have a period, would it not be possible to have sex a week before your period and still have a risk of being pregnant?

Therefore I have a few questions:

Would it ever be possible for a woman to ovulate a few days before her period? Or would her periods become longer to accomodate a later ovulation?

If a girl has her period while a fertilised embryo is making its way towards the uterus to implant itself;
a) could the egg implant itself if there was no lining to accomodate it?
b) would the unattatched embryo simply be flushed out with the uterine lining?

Because if I understand this right, it would be entirely possible to have unprotected sex then a week later have a period, and still be at risk of pregnancy.

Posts: 11 | From: Northern Ireland | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just to clarify some things quickly:

Progesterone is the hormone that is realeased when a woman ovulates, if the egg is not fertilized, the level of progesterone drops and that signals the body to shed the uterine ling and the woman menstruates. IF an egg were to be fertilized, however? The body produces more progesterone, and mesntruation would not be triggered, does that help clear things up somewhat?

To answer your other questions, however, since it is actually fairly common that an egg is fertilized and simply doesn't attach, or attaches and just doesn't stay attached -

An egg cannot implant if their is no uterine lining to accomodate it, so, based on your scenario, if a fertilized egg were to be making its way to the uterien lining and a woman beings menstruating, the egg wouldn't attach/stay attached, and it would just be expelled with the rest of the menstrual fluid.

And yes, a woman having an irregular cycle, or one who has ovulated twice within a cycle, can ovulate more closely to menstruation than the typical about-fourteen days. This is especially common with teens and younger women who have not had their periods as long and tend to have more irregular cycles.

--------------------
Jean
aka dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love us? Want to keep us in your lives and hearts? Give what you can!

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lemesik
Neophyte
Member # 31281

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lemesik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oke doke that helps to clear things up, thanks.

Just one thing. How would the progesterone levels drop if no egg was fertilized? I assume that before the egg has implanted it is simply a seperate organism and its fertilization could not trigger this drop in the hormones. Would it not happen after implantation and not fertilization?

Posts: 11 | From: Northern Ireland | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
einnoc16
Neophyte
Member # 28523

Icon 1 posted      Profile for einnoc16     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After implantation the embryo will start to produce progesterone that's why we don't menstruate because the level of progesterone is sustained in our body.
Posts: 23 | From: Philippines | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.