Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » still pregnant??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: still pregnant??
IRENE
Neophyte
Member # 27333

Icon 1 posted      Profile for IRENE     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
10 days ago I took like 5 pregnancy tests, and they were all positive. Today I got my period.10 days late. And its not spotting, its just regular-with cramps and just like it usually feels. I decided to take another test to see what it will show now. Went to a store and bought 2 tests, different brands. Took both of them at the same time with the same urine, from one cup. Well, one of them was positive, one was negative. Can someone please tell me what can be happening? Am I having a misscariege?

--------------------
"The truth will set you free, but first, it is probably going to piss you off."

Posts: 12 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After five positive pregnancy tests, what you're experiencing now could very liekly be an early miscarriage. (And if I'm not mistaken, just because the body does not hold onto the embryo, the hormone specific to pregnancy does not instantly disappear, which could explain the other positive test you had - as for the negative with the same urine that was likely either a false negative/the test wasn't used completely correctly or it just didn't register enough of the hormone to show a positive result, hard to say for sure)

Very early miscarriages are very common, simply because the body just doesn't hold onto every embryo that attaches all the time. Most women don't even notice, if they haven't taken a pregnancy test or were even noticably late with their periods to begin with.

If the bleeding continues longer than what you normally experience with periods, if it stays very heavy for longer than a few days, or if you experience any unusual or sharp pains, those would all be good reasons to see a doctor to make sure everything is okay, and better than that, it might be good to at least call your doctor and explain what happened to make sure they don't think it's necessary for you to come in.

--------------------
Jean
aka dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love us? Want to keep us in your lives and hearts? Give what you can!

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's very typical for pregnancies to end in very early miscarriage, to the point that many, many women never even know they were pregnant, and just figure their periods were late.

It's estimated, ultimately, that as many as half of all pregnancies do, usually this early. We've talked to you about this before.

Given your test results, I would say that yes, you are probably experiencing a very early miscarriage. This early in the game, there is usually no reason to see a doctor now, because nothing of any size at all formed in the uterus which you need to worry about remaining there. BUT.

If you have any painful cramping, if the bleeding gets to be anything more than menstrual bleeding, or if in a handful of days you are STILL getting a positive result, then see your doctor. If you just need any of this verified for your sanity, by all means, go on in. Obviously too, if you have not yet talked to your OB/GYN about trying to become pregnant, and had a thorough checkup to that end, now would be a good time to schedule that. I asked last post if you'd gone, but it sounded like you'd just found online charting templates, rather than seeing your GYN.

I know the ups and downs of trying to get pregnant can be one heck of a rollercoaster. While this stuff is all common and normal, it can still do a number on a person, t get hopes up high, have them dashed, start again, play the waiting game, the whole works. So, just be sure that you're also getting the emotional support you need throughout the process as well.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.