Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » I know there's a risk...but...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I know there's a risk...but...
bell50
Neophyte
Member # 29033

Icon 7 posted      Profile for bell50     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, here's the story.

I'm a college student...my husband and I will be married 2 years this summer. I'm starting to really want kids, but I need to wait to finish school (next spring!)

Anyway...in Feb my bc perscription ran out. I need to go back to the doctor to get a refil but because I am so busy, i haven't been able to. Hubby refuses to use alternative contraception because of the larger 'risk.' So of course we don't do NOTHING. He is okay with manual sex (without any protection, mind you [Roll Eyes] ).

Long story short, I have been without my period for two months - okay, maybe three. I don't keep track very well...but I am now!!! In march I had an xray taken for a hurt foot. I hadn't yet officially missed a period so I didn't think I could be pregnant. I just got through a very stressful time with finals, and skipping isn't something foreign to me. But two (and a half?) months? That's weird.

I know, go get a test. Well, honestly, I'll be dissapointed if I am not pregnant...and the action of buying a test will probably make it feel even closer to home or more of a reality for us.

And another question: Is it safer to have sex with a condom than how we have been going about it? [Cool]

Thanks!

Posts: 2 | From: WA | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beppie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It can take a while for your menstrual cycle to get back to normal-- 6-12 months in fact, though I think it'd be unlikely for you not to have a period at all in that time. If your period doesn't show up in another month or so, it'd be worth visiting your GYN, just to make sure everything's okay. (Of course, if it turns out that you're pregnant, you'll need to visit the GYN anyway). Since you're hoping to become pregnant in about 12 months anyway, I'd seriously consider looking at not going back onto hormonal birth control, and also asking your GYN about pre-natal preparation.

From what you've said, I gather that you haven't had sex with a pregnancy risk since you stopped using the pill-- unless you've had semen come into contact with your vagina and vulva since then, it's unlikely that you're pregnant, though of course you do need to take a test to make sure. Remember, if you by chance ARE pregnant, you'll need to get pre-natal care ASAP, so don't put it off!

As for your final question: if you are engaging in sexual activities that don't result in semen coming into contact with your vulva or vagina, then that is a surefire way not to get pregnant before you want to. If you both enjoy this and are happy with it, then no problem. If, however, you want to have intercourse, condoms, when used correctly with water based lube, are highly effective. If you use a well tested brand, that's been kept at a relatively even temperature, make sure it's not expired and use water-based lube any risks of breakage are low. In addition to this, you could look at asking your GYN about another non-hormonal form of contraception, such as a diaphragm.

Posts: 2710 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bell50
Neophyte
Member # 29033

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bell50     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you so much for your information - I will not be going back on birth control.

I took a test, and it was negative. However I still haven't had my period. I was on Ortho Evra, which as you probably known is *now* known to cause some problems. Interestingly enough, i was off of it for 6 months after being on for a year, and I didn't miss a single period. I am off again after being on for 3 months and no periods. That part seems strange to me. Could that be normal for Ortho Evra?

I will take another test in a while...and either way go to the GYN of my beloved period doesn't show up. [Smile]

Posts: 2 | From: WA | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.