Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » pregnant but used a condom????

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: pregnant but used a condom????
sheryll
Activist
Member # 25105

Icon 5 posted      Profile for sheryll     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hello. i was 10 days late for my period last month but this month i am now 5 days late for if i were to go by my normal amount of days (not the amount of days in last months cycle). this month i had 5 days where i had sex but used a condom from start to finish each time. i read the article about the risk and whatnot. but i wanted to know if anyone has gotten pregnant from using a condom. i tested when my period was 2 days late and it was negative. im testing again when its 7 days late, and if negative again, 10 days late. if my period happens to be 2 weeks late, i am booking an appt with the gynecologist to see what is up.

--------------------
But I know if I could do it over, I would trade, give away all the words that I saved in my heart that are left unspoken.

Posts: 70 | From: MA | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sheryll
Activist
Member # 25105

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sheryll     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
would the previous period being 10 days late cause this cycle to be alittle messed up as well? oh and those times we did have sex were on the April 22, 25,May 6,7, and 9th. my normal cycle is 26-28 days. my period in april came on when it was 36.

--------------------
But I know if I could do it over, I would trade, give away all the words that I saved in my heart that are left unspoken.

Posts: 70 | From: MA | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
People who become pregnant with condom use have NOT done one, some or all of the following:
- used a condom for ALL direct genital contact
- had the base held with withdrawal to avoid slipping
- used plenty of lubricant to keep breaks from happening
- used a quality condom, within the expiry date, stroed properly

If you did all of the above AND had two negative tests, it's safe to say you are not pregnant. As well, given you've been having irregular cycles as it is (or perhaps are counting cycles incorrectly?), it seems unlikely this is about pregnancy.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't see your second post, there.

It's entirely possible your cycle has just shifted recently. How many days has it been since that last period in April?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Didn't see your second post, there.

It's entirely possible your cycle has just shifted recently. How many days has it been since that last period in April?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

sheryll
Activist
Member # 25105

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sheryll     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
its been 31 so far.

--------------------

sheryll
Activist
Member # 25105

i dont know if i should go by the 36 days now or the 26 like it was beofre. any advice. i tested 3 times when my period was late at 3 days late, 7 days and 9 days and all were negative so im pretty sure that i am not pregnant from that month. and it would have showed up by now on the test i took a few days ago that i was so i know im not from that month. its this month that is confusing me alot because i dont know if i could be and its just not late enough in the pregnancy to be able to make a positive result. even though every test i take is an early one.

--------------------

sheryll
Activist
Member # 25105

and i have done all of those 4 things that were listed in your post. this is so confusing. i hate periods sometimes because of the fact they vary like this. should i still test again to make sure?

--------------------

Heather
Member # 3

You HAVE done those things, as in you HAVE used all the condoms for all your risks properly?

If you have, and given your test results, again, it's safe to say you are not pregnant.

I'd say that since it's only been 31 days since the last cycle, there's no need to test again for at least another week, if you must.

But it sounds like it'd be good for your peace of mind to add a second method of birth control to the condom use at this point. Clearly, this is making things nutty for you, especially with changing cycles. Why not ask your GYN about a diaphragm, for instance?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

sheryll
Activist
Member # 25105

Yes I have done all of those. Im going to wait 4 days to test again and see what happens. Is it normal to have cycle changes even after it was already established at 26 days for almost a year?Thank you so much.

--------------------

Heather
Member # 3

It's normal to have cycle shifts through your whole life, really.

Menstrual cycles are really very responsive to everything that goes on in your life and your body.

So: changes in general health can shift them. Changes in age, diet, exercise, stress, how much rest you get, time zones, mental health...all of these things and more can and often do create changes.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

sheryll
Activist
Member # 25105

yes well perhaps that is why everything is different, thank you. i will post soon and inform people of the news.

--------------------

fallchild
Activist
Member # 28780

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fallchild         Edit/Delete Post 
Could someone please explain what a diaphragm is?

--------------------
"It's better to die on your feet than live down on your knees"

Posts: 117 | From: SLC, UT | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamsessionVT
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 17924

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JamsessionVT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A diaphragm is another form of birth control. It's basically a cap (sometimes refered to as a cervical cap) that is placed over the cervix to block sperm.

--------------------
Abbie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love Us? Keep Us Around by Donating!

Posts: 3987 | From: Greater Burlington Area, Vermont | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

So it's a bit more clear...

...a cervical cap is really the barrier method which literally caps the cervix.

A diaphragm is a bit larger, and it's held in place the same way a menstrual cup is, behind the pubic bone, by the vaginal walls. It covers the cervix, given that placement, and is fitted by a GYN to be sure that it is as close a fit, per not gapping at the sides so that it stays in place, as possible.

Both diaphragms and cervical caps are to be used with spermicides to be most effective.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

sheryll
Activist
Member # 25105

Is it possible that I never ovulated this month. Going by my 26 cycle I would have ovulated when I was very stressed and upset because my grndmother has passed away. But then if i go by 36, there was nothing stressful. I dont know what cycle amount I should go by.

--------------------

sheryll
Activist
Member # 25105

What cycle should I go by?

--------------------

Heather
Member # 3

I'm not sure you what you mean.

But if you're asking about counting how many days this cycle has been, per expecting your next, start counting from the last menstrual period.

And really, off-schedule menstruation may or may not be relevant or have effected ovulation.

But if you used the condoms correctly, again, given all the tests you have taken, there is NO reason to be concerned about pregnancy still.

But if you are this freaked out, by all means PLEASE contact your GYN, both at looking into this AND about obtaining a backup method of birth control (or just consider taking some time away from procreative sex).

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

sheryll
Activist
Member # 25105

And really, off-schedule menstruation may or may not be relevant or have effected ovulation.

I dont really understand that... sorry

--------------------

KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's the thing about cycles and ovulation and the lot...if you have not been charting (meaning tracking your cycles, cervical mucus, and basal temperatures), then it's pretty well impossible to say with any certainty when you've ovulated or predict when you would ovulate. And in young women, ovulation is doubly hard to predict since they may have uneven cycles. And there's no real "normal number of days" in a cycle, beyond what is normal for any given woman. So not everybody has 28 day cycles...and that's ok, in and of itself, that's not particularly strange. For young women, especially those who have menstruated for less than 5 years, it's pretty common to have some irregularity in terms of cycle length (heck, some women never have cycles that are the same length each time).

So in terms of whether or not you ovulated this month, that's really impossible for us to guess. And some oddities in terms of cycle length may or may not have anything to do with that.

--------------------
Sarah Liz

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sheryll
Activist
Member # 25105

i dont know if i should assume this cyclr to be 36 or 26 days

--------------------

sheryll
Activist
Member # 25105

mine has been 26-28 days for almost a whole year and then last month i was 36

--------------------

Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This cycle would be however many days it's been since the start of your last period. If it's been 26 days, then this cycle is 26 days long. If it's been 36 days since the start of your last period, then this cycle is 36 days long. Of course, since you haven't gotten your period yet, this cycle will end up being longer - you count the number of days from the first day of one period to the first day of the next. Make sense?

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sheryll
Activist
Member # 25105

i know how to ocunt it but i dont know what cycle to go by to tell if its late or not. my normal one (26) or my last cycle (36)

--------------------

Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To determine if your period is late, you'd go by how long your cycles usually are. However, cycles do shift and change sometimes, so your usual cycle length is just sort of a guideline.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sheryll
Activist
Member # 25105

okay. thanks

--------------------

sheryll
Activist
Member # 25105

i tested today, now that it is around 8 ays late, got another negative.

--------------------

sheryll
Activist
Member # 25105

Icon 5 posted      Profile for sheryll     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hello. i still havent started my period and it is 9 days late. i took a test yesterday, it came back negative. i used EPT. does anyone know how accurate that is?
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The pregnancy tests that are available over the counter are all about the same when it comes to being accurate. As long as you use the test correctly, they are incredibly accurate.

It's possible for women to simply not have a period for a month, so this could be happening to you, or you're just experiencing a long strecth of irregularity. I'd say you have nothing to worry about, but it's certainly sound of you to schedule an appointment with your gynecologist to make sure everything is okay since you experienced some irregularity in your last cycle as well.

--------------------
Jean
aka dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love us? Want to keep us in your lives and hearts? Give what you can!

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sheryll
Activist
Member # 25105

yeah i have an appt soon. so ill see whats up with the cycles. hopefully everything comes back okay. it should tho. i just had an appt a little while ago and everything was fine.

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.