Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » Not quite a teen pregnancy

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Not quite a teen pregnancy
LittleNami
Neophyte
Member # 28685

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LittleNami     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I started a topic elsewhere in here regarding the relationship issue with my boyfriend, but this issue arose especially because of one specific issue.

I am 20, so by most definitions I am not a teen, but in a way I still feel like one. I have not yet gotten through college, I still have a simple retail job, and I have not fully lived my life as I would want to. Recently, however, I had sex with my boyfriend and the condom broke. I am not sure if it broke during sex or afterwards, but regardless the implications are there. I immediately went to Planned Parenthood and took the "morning after" pill the day after in hopes of preventing that which I am most worried of. I was due for my period the day after I took the pill, but they warned me that since the pill stops conception, I might have a late period.

Its been only 3 days since my period was due, 4 days since I took that pill, 5 since the incident. I know this is probably a short time to be expecting results, but I am very worried to say the least. I am not ready to be a mother by any means, and if I am pregnant that means the worst: to get an abortion. Now I know I will get chewed out by many women for even thinking this, but understand from my point. I am very scared of the idea of getting pregnant because I have a good chance for it. Both sides of my family were extremely fertile, 9 aunts and uncles on one side, 7 on the other. I do not have a stable enough job to even consider keeping the child for myself, nor a stable enough relationship with my boyfriend. I can't give the child up for adoption because as soon as I go through the pregnancy, I will have my mothering instinct kick in and could never give the child up, but could not give a proper life for the child, not to mention never being able to face my mother again for being pregnant.

Please, any feedback would be very welcome, even just simple false encouragement that this is all in my head and I am not pregnant would be nice. I just don't like knowing that only two people know of my situation, my boyfriend and one of my close friends, you feel too alone that way.

Posts: 5 | From: Minnesota | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Given you got Plan B the very next day, and given the time in your cycle the risk occurred, the chances of you becoming pregnant really are exceptionally slim. That's not being said just to comfort you: them's the facts.

Just for the record, at this site and these boards ALL options for a pregnancy are considered completely valid and acceptable. So, anyone who "chewed you out" here for considering abotion would likely find themselves tossed off the boards.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68232 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LittleNami
Neophyte
Member # 28685

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LittleNami     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you so much for your response Scarlet, it does help put my worries at ease a bit. I guess I just need to wait for the pill to work itself off and my period will return normally
Posts: 5 | From: Minnesota | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just to help put your mind at ease, by the way, per what you mentioned in your last topic about needing to stay with an abusive partner because of funds for abortion...

Again, pregnancy in this case IS unlikely. But I'm guessing it might make you feel better to know HOW to access those resources locally should you need them.

Having just moved from MN, I'm very familiar with the Minnesota org that manages those funds, and they are wonderful people, and an excellent resource.

The contact info for them is:
Hersey Abortion Assistance Fund (via Pro Choice Resources, http://www.prochoiceresources.org, and they're on Hennepin Ave. in Uptown Minneapolis).
The Fund runs a hotline (Toll Free: 1-888-439-0124) that provides no-interest loans, grants, and resources to teens and women who choose abortion but are unable to afford one.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68232 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.