Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » In touch with the masses.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: In touch with the masses.
banddryad
Activist
Member # 18520

Icon 5 posted      Profile for banddryad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not talking about mammograms.

I haven't been on this board in a while, but it feels nice. I used to come to Scarleteen in the '03s, about a year before I got pregnant, and even though I begot a child I love how Scarleteen's been there for me (and given me info to be there for my friends).

Now, I'm here, because I need some help. I started a "group" on MySpace (yeah, you know what that is) in August of '04. Since then it has grown to over 5,000 members and is #4 (technically) in the Home & Family category.

I've loved keeping up with this group. I have gotten to use a lot of my Scarleteen-supplied knowledge to help open and inform minds on my forum.

What I need help with is: I know that a lot of people in this forum are up to date and knowledgable about statistics and our general society. I have Googled, searched relevant pages, and looked in the newpaper for stats and articles. Where can I find info about maternal age in our country. Or divorce rates, particularly in young couples.

I remember reading about how women are waiting till their late 30's to have kids, that's a growing trend. But I can't find a source. Or about how single parenthood is on the rise, by choice (and ability). I don't know where to find surveys taken to display rates of births to teen parents or what their chances of staying together are. If you understand what I'm searching for and can give me a hand I'd LOVE it.. Maybe I'm trying to hard, but I cannot find what I am looking for, even though I know it's out there.

(P.S. I don't know if I'm allowed to leave a link to the group. So I won't.)

--------------------
Vita absum amos has vita.

Posts: 95 | From: Florida | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey there, banddryad. [Smile] Good on you!

Per that information, it depends on how wide a net you're casting: are you just looking for the US?

If you are, then what you want per marriage, divorce and maternal age is US census information. If you flop "US census" marriage rates, age of first birth into google, that should land you what you need.

In terms of the issue of teen couples, that's going to be trickier, because if you don't have a marriage, then you don't generally have any information filed anywhere to acklowledge and date the relationship between teen parents. But, the Alan Guttmacher Institute often has good, solid stats on teen parenting all around, so that'd be a place to start. Here's one recent general study of theirs: http://www.guttmacher.org/media/nr/2004/02/19/index.html

This organization as well has a lot of data linked: http://www.teenpregnancy.org/resources/data/national.asp

And http://scholar.google.com/ is also a good way to look for studies, period.

(And if you want to promote your site, of course you can. [Smile] )

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
banddryad
Activist
Member # 18520

Icon 1 posted      Profile for banddryad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you so much! That really helped me go in the right direction. www.teenpregnancy.org has a couple things that don't sit well with me (IMO), but at least it cites it's sources!

Thank you!!

(Oh! And it's at Young Parents)

[ 05-24-2006, 03:13 AM: Message edited by: banddryad ]

--------------------
Vita absum amos has vita.

Posts: 95 | From: Florida | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I hear that. Campaigns specifically to prevent TEEN pregnancy, rather than plain old UNWANTED pregnancy tend to often, if not always, have some aspects of their agendas/goals that are a bit... eh, parental? Not so great sometimes about acknowledging the cultural issues that make teen pregnancy a big problem, rather than having it appear that even without those, or just in general, teen pregnancy must always be a problem.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.