Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » Question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Question
Avrie_44
Activist
Member # 10881

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Avrie_44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hello, i had stopped taling the pill when i was suppost to to have my period, but we, my fiance and i have decided not to go back on it as we both want a child soon after we get married in september. how long after i stopped the pill can i get pregnant. will the pill still be in my system for a while and still stop pregnancy?? of would i get pregnant right away??
thanks so much.

Posts: 98 | From: Alberta, Canada | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Let me put it this way; There are people on the pill who have missed a few and gotten pregnant. The chances are slim, but they're there ... And they're real.

So, having completely stopped taking your pills, theoretically, you could get pregnant right away ... Or it could take a few months. It's impossible to say.

My advice; If you want to avoid a pregnancy until after your wedding, either stay on the birth control pill until then or use condoms.

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ladydexter
Activist
Member # 17567

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ladydexter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whilst it is recommended you wait at least one period after stopping the pill, you can get pregnant at any point coming off it. My family are excruciatingly fertile, and my mom went off the pill and up the spout with me in the same month.

My fiance's parents had a great deal of trouble having him, though whether that was down to his mother or father, we're not quite sure.

Basically, there's no telling, so if you want to get pregnant later rather than sooner, time to whip out the condoms.

Posts: 336 | From: Manchester, UK | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gubblebum
Activist
Member # 15249

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gubblebum     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know people who have become pregnant within the month, and people it has taken almost a year for. But, like thay said, if you want to wait then condoms are a safe bet for a few months.
Posts: 213 | From: Spain | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.