Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » Possibly pregnant but too scared to take a test

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Possibly pregnant but too scared to take a test
Member # 23643

Icon 1 posted      Profile for purplepiano49     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've had two pregnancy risks lately - one I think should be ok - I took my pill at about 12 midnight, and was sick the next morning at about 9am, so that's ok right because it was more than 3 hours?

The second I described in an earlier post, but it's kind of confusing - a couple of months ago I was on the pill (microgynon 30), and during my pill-free week I went to see my GP to get my prescription for the next 3 months' worth. However when she took my blood pressure as is routine she found it was too high and could not give me the prescription.

This didn't bother me (apart from being a bit annoying) until later when I read in the microgynon 30 leaflet that the first 7 pills in a pack are the most important, and if you miss them you are putting yourself at risk from pregnancy. If I had known that my GP wouldn't be able to give me my next prescription I would have not had sex/used a condom in the couple of days before I went to see her, but obviously I didn't know! (Me and my boyfriend are clean from STDs, and just use the pill which I take very reliably).

I talked with my knowledgeable friend about this, and she said that because my body wouldn't have realised that I wasn't taking the next set of pills immediately, I wouldn't have ovulated immediately. Also I know that ovulation can be erratic when you come off the pill.

My period that I had in the month when I wasn't on the pill (but using condoms) was a few days later than I expected, but before I went on the pill in the first place my periods would vary each month by a few days. It was also brownish in colour to start of with (first 2 days), and then went to a more normal colour. I also thought it was a dayish shorter than usual, but I then realised that it had started in the middle of the night, which never usually happens, so I had accidentally omitted about 20 hours from my calculations.

ANYWAY, the reason behind this long and complex post is that because my period came, I didn't take a pregnancy test. I am also now back on the pill (cilest) now that my blood pressure has returned to normal.

However, the last few days I've been feeling quite paranoid, and interpreting every slight tummy ache or feeling of nausea (at nasty-tasting food, for instance) as a symptom of pregnancy. I know, I know, I should just take a test. I don't want to though, because I'm in the middle of very important exams (A levels) at the moment, and if I am pregnant I fear my concentration would suffer quite a lot. My exams don't finish for two weeks.

A question: Even though periods while you're on the pill aren't "proper", are they still affected by pregnancy in the same way as natural periods? i.e if I am pregnant, will my period (due in about 5 days) be late/non-existent/light? Or would it just carry on as normal?

I need some advice!

Posts: 26 | From: UK | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know, why don't you go ahead and take that test.

Not only will avoiding taking it not change whether you are or are not pregnant -- it'll just make things even more difficult if you are -- I really, truly doubt that you are. As you've described things here, pregnancy would be highly unlikely. I seriously doubt you'll get a result that will NOT provide you a lot of relief.

To answer your last question, if you ARE/were pregnant, yes, you would still miss a period. Pill withdrawal might still cause some spotting, but you would not get a full period if pregnant.

But take that test, babe. Seriously, just do it: if you're really ready to be sexually active, you gotta be ready for all that comes with it, including scares like this and managing them in accordance with your well-being, and keeping yourself from finding out most efficiently if you're pregnant or not just isn't something that's wise or good for your mental health.

Heather Corinna
Editor & Founder
ST homepage • ST blog • about Heather & Scarleteen

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
((Posted tbefore seeing Miz S!))

You cannot have an actual period when you are pregnant, and from what you have described you had a normal period (meaning you bled a more normal amount, you weren't just spotting, it lasted a few days at least, etc.)

Also, from what you described you didn't have a real pregnancy risk, either. If you had sex without a condom while you were still on the full cycle of pills (which includes the 7 placebo pills, on which you are still protected), you would have not been at risk for pregnancy, because you were protected. You shouldn't really worry about being pregnant in this situation.

Still, since you have been worried, I strongly advise to take a pregnancy test just to ease your mind. You say you're worried that a positive test result will cause you to lose concentration during the exams... but how are you dealing with it if you're this worried anyway? Take the test to see you aren't pregnant so you can stop worrying about it.

Besides that, if you are pregnant (which, still, I doubt) you need to know NOW, not later- you need to stop taking your pills and start seeing someone to discuss and decide what your options are if you are pregnant, that really can't wait if you feel you have a risk.

And just to answer your final question- if you are pregnant, you should not experience a withdrawl bleed on the placebo pills (note that stress and other factors can cause it to be lighter or not show up- and as long as it comes about in those 7 days off the hormone pills, it isn't actually "late")

[This message has been edited by dailicious (edited 06-19-2005).]

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 23643

Icon 1 posted      Profile for purplepiano49     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok. I'm going to take a test tomorrow. I'd better start psyching myself up to walk into the chemist...heh..

Thanks for the advice, you've reassured me a lot. I'll update on this thread tomorrow, hopefully saying the result was negative!

Posts: 26 | From: UK | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 23969

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hottness     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would just take the test. Cuz then u can get it over with so that u don't have to worry about it anymore. I know cuz I have been in this situation twice. Just take the test.
Posts: 26 | From: utah | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 23643

Ok, I took a test this afternoon and as predicted, no babies-to-be here!

I feel very relieved, even though I didn't totally think I was pregnant, but it's nice to know.

Thanks for the support and information

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.