Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » Blood RH factors

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Blood RH factors
HarlemQueen212
Neophyte
Member # 7842

Icon 5 posted      Profile for HarlemQueen212     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello.
I am using my girlfriends ID. I wanted to know because she is RH+ what does that mean? I mean the doctor tried to explain it to me but I never got it. He said something about my kids blood and and hers are not compatible. So what does that mean? What kinda of meds do they usually put women on for these kind of things??

Posts: 5 | From: orlando, florida USA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aria51
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 653

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aria51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Women who are RH-negative sometimes will have problems with their blood not being compatible with the blood of the fetus, but I have never heard of RH-positive mothers having any problems.

RH factor is, in a very simplified nutshell, what they are talking about when they say you have A-positive blood as opposed to A-negative blood type.

I will look up more information about a mother's RH factor and get back to you.

In the mean time, please do not use your girlfriend's account to ask a question. Accounts here at Scarleteen are free, and we do not approve of account-sharing.

Posts: 1287 | From: Missouri | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ErinK
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1371

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ErinK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's some links to get you started on learning more about Rh factors:
http://www.childrens.com/healthinfo/Display.cfm?ID=1152&main=1121
http://www.smartmoms.org/prenatal-tests/test8.html

Here's a quote from the second article that will probably answer your question:

quote:
Just as there are different major blood groups, such as A and B type blood, there is also an Rh factor--a type of protein on the red blood cells. Most people have the Rh factor and are said to be Rh positive. Others do not have the Rh factor and are thus Rh negative. Today, a simple lab test quickly determines whether you are Rh positive or Rh negative.

The Rh factor does not affect a person's general health. It can cause problems during pregnancy, however. Now, with the use of a special drug, these problems can almost always be prevented.

The Rh factor causes problems when an Rh-negative person's blood (without Rh factors) comes in contact with Rh-positive blood (with Rh factor). The person with Rh-negative blood may then become sensitized. This means he or she produces antibodies to fight the Rh factor as if it were a harmful substance. Sensitization can occur if an Rh-negative woman becomes pregnant with an Rh-positive fetus. An Rh-negative mother and an Rh-positive father can conceive an Rh-positive child. The Rh-negative woman's body may produce antibodies that then attack the fetal Rh-positive red blood cells.

Hope this helps.

erin

Posts: 3077 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.