Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » QUESTION!!!!!!!!!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: QUESTION!!!!!!!!!!
PePsI_lUvEr2
Neophyte
Member # 7363

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PePsI_lUvEr2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,
I was just wondering when you can start taking a birth control pill after having a baby.
I just want to be on the safe side after giving birth and not get pregnant IF something happens.
Of course ill be using 2 birth control methods
but just because me and him both agreed not til we're married doesn't mean its gonna stay like that.
Some one plz help!
thanx

Posts: 4 | From: sarnia | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is a question you should really address to your doctor, preferably before the birth of the baby. Good for you for being concerned about being protected after delivery, because pregnancy still is a concern. It is my understanding that you can begin the shortly after delivery, but that it is something you will have to discuss with your doctor to make sure that there are no health factors for you that would make that a problem.

Ask your doctor about it during your next appointment so that he/she can work with you to form a birth control plan that can be implimented as soon after delivery as possible.

------------------
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Advocate

"The whole world is full of morons...they just congregate on the internet cause it's easy for them to push the buttons."

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aria51
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 653

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aria51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You will definitely have plenty of opportunities to discuss birth control before your baby is born. I got an extensive birth control lecture as part of my new-parent teaching before I was allowed to leave the hospital.

I noticed you said you were pregnant in another thread. When is your duedate? Are you getting prenatal care? If you haven't yet started getting prenatal care, I'd advise you to make an appointment to start as soon as humanly possible. Just a friendly reminder from your friendly neighborhood prenatal care supporter

Posts: 1287 | From: Missouri | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cute Katie
Activist
Member # 6602

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cute Katie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do remember reading somewhere that you shouldn't be taking the pill if you are breast feeding your baby.

------------------
-~-Katie-~-

AIM: Amethyst95

Posts: 59 | From: Michigan, USA | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
negative*nancy
Activist
Member # 877

Icon 4 posted      Profile for negative*nancy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
another thing to consider is if you're going to be breastfeeding or not, because i'm not exactly sure on whether or not it's OK to take birth control pills / hormonal forms of birth controll while you're breastfeeding.

I just stayed away from it completely, and have been using barrier methods...

good luck with the new baby!

Posts: 361 | From: toronto, ontario, canada | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
negative*nancy
Activist
Member # 877

Icon 4 posted      Profile for negative*nancy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
that wasnt' there when i originally posted.

great minds think alike!

[This message has been edited by negative*nancy (edited 03-18-2002).]

Posts: 361 | From: toronto, ontario, canada | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
euphorickitty
Neophyte
Member # 6425

Icon 2 posted      Profile for euphorickitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After you have the baby if you still wish to take birth control pills your doctor will give you a different kind if you will be breastfeeding.

My cousin had a son and after the delivery the doctor gave her the mini-pill (I think that's what it's called,) and the doctor told her that it was only about 80 something percent effective.

But I'm sure your situation won't be exactly the same. Like everyone else has said, it is very important that you seek prenatal care and you can talk about your birth control with a qualified health professional.

Good Luck and Best Wishes!

Posts: 38 | From: Southern California | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
euphoric referred to the mini-pill, which differes from combination birth control pills in that mini-pills do not contain estrogen. combo pills have both progesterone and estrogen.

mini-pills were probably prescribed to the nursing woman because they tend to have lower doses of hormone in them. progesterone tends to inhibit lactation.

mini-pills tend to have a lower rate of success because they do not block ovulation the way combo-pills do.

------------------
oh, don't even po-mo me, baby...

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.